Jack Daw & The Desolation Engine

Zool

So I was wondering if any of you have hired the Desolation Engine in a Jack Daw crew, specifically for Head Hunter and here is why I am considering it:

So I would hire Rusty as my Henchman and make sure I have one abomination on the table from the start along with a hired Desolation Engine. Rusty would then turn one get a scrap marker down and hopefully by turn two get a 2nd abomination summoned. Here is why I think the combo could be good for Head Hunter. Basically when an opponent sees a Desolation Engine running with an abomination or two behind them they know they need to take out the abominations or desolation engine at range before the engine starts bashing skulls in and or drop 2 more abomination to get another engine on the table as soon as this one gets dropped. But with head hunter as soon as abominations or the engin gets taken out at range it leaves a headhunter marker which can easily be picked up then by another abomination or the engine. So it makes the opponent second guess targeting the little Desolation party happening for risk of giving me easy headhunter points. Then along with Jack Daw's push shenanigans you can also get the Desolation Engine right up into the opponents face easily enough and start smashing skulls for some more head hunter markers.

Now this is just an idea I had which I will be trying out tonight, but would be keen to hear about anyone else's experience running the Desolation Engine within a Jack Daw crew. I see Jack as being able to pull the Desolation Engine out of cover which gives the Engine opportunities to charge. Either using Twist 'n Turn or Writhing Torment. Also note that this is assuming I have two Guilty as well to put Tormented on Both the Engine and Rusty.

Never used that combo, what comes to my mind:

DE + Rusty =  22 ss (that's a lot)
Newly summoned abominations cannot interact in first turn (all summoned models cannot interact in first turn)
Watch out for stuff like bury, paralyze etc.

You can use Jack to cast "share the guilt" so you don't need two Guilty. One will do. I think that two non-Tormented models are as much as you should be looking for in any Jack list, his interaction with Tormented models (including the models you make Tormented) is fun.

I have tried Desolation Engine with Jack, and he does make it more mobile. I overextended and he got eaten by Candy, but the principle is sound. I was playing our local Henchman, who is a much better player than I am (of course).

Desolation, plus From the Aether Rusty is 25SS, which may be too much tied up in two models. I do like his model though (I use the old metal) and I will try him again. I also need to get Killjoy and Ashes painted. Maybe Doctor Grimwell... fast Tormented Doctor Grimwell. Nice.

@Jafar ah yes the limitation on not being to interact with summoned models does make my plan less appealing... Didn't think of that. The Desolation Engine is a pricey model, but always like to think of it as a 13 SS model that automatically gives you 8 SS models upon death in return, so almost like a fuax 5 SS model.

I really like the Jack, Rusty, Desolation combo, but not your head hunter use for it. But thats largely because it seems to create a bunch of extra hoops you don't really need. If your opponent is going to kill the engine, then you need more than 1 VP from it to make it worth while. 

I was recently speculating that what my engine really needs is accomplice, but a list containing Alyce, Desolation engine and Hodgepodge emissary does sound very very expensive. (although the 7 uninterupted AP is very very tempting). 

I've also tried it with a student of Conflict, and had a fast engine with oath keeper getting 2 pushes a turn from Jack, and also used Twist and turn to make it take a 9th Action that first turn. (plus the 2 (0) actions). It did manage to heal up to full, and summon an abomination from the train wreck of my opponents crew. 

I just haven't decided what is the best master to run them with. Jack gives the pushes, but Von schill gives Alyce instinctual, for abomination summoning every turn. levi brings free waifs to help with the activation number, Hamelin has Obey for more actions.

Run him with everyone.

Von Schill and Desolation Engine, hard and relentless indeed

Viktorias and Desolation Engine, Vanessa can prompt him around

Leveticus and Desolation Engine, lots of spare abominations

Jack Daw and Desolation Engine, feel their torment

Hamelin and Desolation Engine, oh rats

Misaki and Desolation Engine, fine Japanese engineering

Tara and Desolation Engine, fast destruction

Tara, deso engine, rat engine and killjoy.
Out-activate. Unbury killjoy. Activate tara, bury desolation engine. Kill sth. with  killjoy. Something died? You can now unbury desolation engine. KIll something else with desolation engine.

Outcasts
50ss Crew

Jack Daw -- 7ss
 +Guillotine Injustice - 0ss
 +Twist And Turn - 2ss
 +Writing Torment - 2ss
 +Drowning Injustice - 0ss
 +Firing Squad Injustice - 0ss

Lady Ligeia - 4ss

Abomination - 4ss

Desolation Engine - 13ss
 +Oathkeeper - 1ss

Rusty Alyce - 10ss
 +From The Aether - 2ss
 +Desolate Soul - 2ss

The Guilty - 5ss

It only has six activations to start with, but Alyce should be able to summon an Abomination on the second turn. Alyce and Desolation will be Tormented by Jack and The Guilty so they'll get the pushes and prompts he's able to hand out.

For myself I'd prefer something more like.

Outcasts
50ss Crew

Jack Daw -- 3ss
 +Guillotine Injustice - 0ss
 +Twist And Turn - 2ss
 +Writing Torment - 2ss
 +Drowning Injustice - 0ss
 +Firing Squad Injustice - 0ss

Desolation Engine - 13ss
 +Oathkeeper - 1ss

Johan - 6ss
 +Oathkeeper - 1ss

Nurse - 5ss

Rusty Alyce - 10ss
 +From The Aether - 2ss
 +Desolate Soul - 2ss

The Guilty - 5ss

But then Johan, Nurse and a The Guilty are fixed parts of my Jack Daw lists, much like two Trappers and a Librarian manage to get into my Viktoria and Von Schill lists.

To Torment three models when you only have two models capable of Tormenting, slap Guillotine Injustice on an Enforcer or Henchman. It makes them Tormented, but they're not Minions or Peons so the rest of the card doesn't affect them.