Base depths for magnetised storage?

Longstrider

Hey all. I've been trying to arrange purchase of a bunch of magnets, some cheap boxes and some metal sheeting for them, and I was wondering if anyone had advice on what depth and diameter I should be looking for, for the three bases? I'm away from my minis at the moment so I can't measure them, but I'm also wondering whether to just glue the magnets directly or whether it makes sense to get magnets a little thinner and then glue them to green stuff or the like.

Thanks!

30 mm bases are 1.5 mm deep, I use two 3 x 1.5 mm magnets for them.

40 mm bases are 2 mm deep, I use two 4 x 2 mm magnets for them.

50 mm bases are 2.5 mm deep, I use three 4 x 2 mm magnets for them with some extra plasticard to get the magnets flush with the tray.

I make a holder of plasticard to place the magnets in. Drill lots of 3 or 4 mm holes in a sheet, then cut it up. When I first tried magnetizing (for Warhammer Fantasy with steel movement trays) I would just superglue magnets to the underside of the bases and they would occasionally come lose (a plastic base is flexible while the magnets is very rigid, which can stress the superglue over time). Most GW bases are 2 mm deep so that's why I have lots of 4 x 2 mm magnets and use different sizes for the different bases, 1.5 would be fine from a strength perspective.

Making plasticard holders is a bit of work, I think epoxyglue would also do a good job (better than green stuff).

I am lazy. To mount the magnets I use epoxy putty with superglue. Just dab supeglue to the base. Place a mound of putty on the glue. Put glue either on the magnet or the putty. Press the magnet into the putty until the magnet is flush with the surface or lifted slightly away from the surface the base will sit on. Work the putty to the desired shape. Epoxy putty on its own will not hold the magnet, but it will give you a nice fit for glue to hold. The plasticard mount is the sturdier solution if you run into issues.

• 4 months later...