May 2 - Malifaux Vintage

It would because then people only interested in the models would buy them and not earn them. Like I stated, I play in every tournament I can, but the competition is getting stale because I always play the same people. Wyrd doesnt have to release this model to the general public for sale. I think it would boost events if it didn't. If you cant make time in your schedule to support local events and local game stores, maybe you shouldnt get this 

2 minutes ago, Rurouni Benshin said:

Bringing new people into a gaming community ought to be incentive enough to run more events. By offering special prize support strictly for players who compete, you're in fact limiting the community from expanding, and making it more exclusive to a select few. 

This is false. How is limiting a special model hurting the community. All of the plastics are available to all players. This is an ALT model. You are missing the incentive to do organized events.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CanYaDigIT said:

It would because then people only interested in the models would buy them and not earn them. Like I stated, I play in every tournament I can, but the competition is getting stale because I always play the same people. Wyrd doesnt have to release this model to the general public for sale. I think it would boost events if it didn't. If you cant make time in your schedule to support local events and local game stores, maybe you shouldnt get this 

So the person who works weekends (Kronus), or the single parent (Ruroni), or the one who's spouse needs more or less around-the-clock medical care (me) should be punished because you are getting tired of playing the same people? Like I said, time for some introspection.

• Like 8

If you cant make time in your schedule to support local events and local game stores, maybe you shouldnt get this 

And who are you to suggest that?  This only perpetuates the idea that excluding people from the game is "fine".  And if offering a "shiny door prize" is the best offer you have for encouraging people to play, then I dare say whoever is running your events needs to step up their game with promoting. Otherwise, you can get off your high horse, and try promoting it as well. 

• Like 2

Overall I think the Guilders are one of the best local level prize support systems out there and I hope it proves successful.  This is a great expansion upon it and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the actual exchange rate pans out.  Anything more than 3-5 per model is probably a bit much.  I do think it would be a mistake to limit the system to just tournaments.  Hopefully we'll see more types of Official Play out there that award Guilders.  Starter leagues, campaigns, painting competitions and the like are all worth rewarding.  Clearly there's a desire for some other avenues of prize support.

Why is everyone screaming about tournaments? As far as I know, the event kits can be used for leagues and stuff, and my local henchman has already run two leagues so far this year that he's collected fees for and then turned the fees into event kits for casual prizes and buying new terrain for the store. I was lucky enough to pull a Miss Step from a small Mystery box a few weeks ago.

Like, I get that some players aren't competitive, but concern about catering to the "tournament" crowd seem unfounded. Heck, I'm going to a tournament in St. Louis next weekend where literally all the prizes of monetary value are being raffled - 1st through 3rd place just get a certificate to mark their victory. Someone could show, go 0-3, and still get picked first to choose among prizes in the raffle.

• Like 2

What both of you fail to see is that you are not entitled to anything wyrd makes. I support them keeping it in the henchman boxes. It will boost events and help local game stores. If you "dont like tournaments" or "cant make them", it looks like you will have to pay extra on ebay for those models. You can still get them but at a higher cost. 

18 minutes ago, Nexus said:

That's making an awefully big assumption of the Henchman running a lot of events and buying kits for all of them.
Our Henchman is a busy guy.

Then do what we do  and co-hench. Trade off events and cover where you can. It works for us here in MD, though we are blessed by a very large malifaux community.

Just now, Pyrflamme said:

Why is everyone screaming about tournaments? As far as I know, the event kits can be used for leagues and stuff, and my local henchman has already run two leagues so far this year that he's collected fees for and then turned the fees into event kits for casual prizes and buying new terrain for the store. I was lucky enough to pull a Miss Step from a small Mystery box a few weeks ago.

Like, I get that some players aren't competitive, but concern about catering to the "tournament" crowd seem unfounded. Heck, I'm going to a tournament in St. Louis next weekend where literally all the prizes of monetary value are being raffled - 1st through 3rd place just get a certificate to mark their victory. Someone could show, go 0-3, and still get picked first to choose among prizes in the raffle.

My qualm isn't with the fact that it's "tournament-only". My qualm is that it's limited to people who have the time to spare for these events. It's counterintuitive to exclude people from being able to mutually benefit from having the chance to "earn", as some would put it, these models. 

Btw, funny enough that you mention Miss Step. The model I pulled twice from the "Mystery Box" was in fact her. Lol

Just now, CanYaDigIT said:

What both of you fail to see is that you are not entitled to anything wyrd makes. I support them keeping it in the henchman boxes. It will boost events and help local game stores. If you "dont like tournaments" or "cant make them", it looks like you will have to pay extra on ebay for those models. You can still get them but at a higher cost. 

Right, I get that. But then my money is not going to Wyrd. If I'm Wyrd, I'd be annoyed that money I could be getting is going to someone else. They're losing a potential revenue stream. Or, as the case may be, I keep my money or spend it on another game. Which is really the worst case scenario for Wyrd.

They should be trying to get as much as they can out of my wallet. By going this route they're definitely not. These are cool models but Wyrd isn't getting a single cent from me or others for this. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, valhallan42nd said:

Then do what we do  and co-hench. Trade off events and cover where you can. It works for us here in MD, though we are blessed by a very large malifaux community.

Wait... is that even a thing?

I thought it was one Henchman per store?

If we can have multiple per store, I'd gladly join up to add more events to the pool.  
We have about a dozen active players in our store.

But they will get mine or others who play in tournaments. so its a double edge sword

Except it's not. They're getting yours whether it's tournament exclusive or on general sale. They're only getting mine if it's on general sale.

• Like 1

...why are few if any replies acknowledging my pointing out the possibility using event kits as prize support for leagues? I mean, unless Aaron pops in to announce that my Henchman is doing it all wrong and a Wyrd black ops team is on their way to remand him to a black site, I'd say it's a valid method.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CanYaDigIT said:

I wouldnt buy it for general sale

Maybe not from buying the model. But they still get your money from going to the tournament. From that box set you buy when you're there. From the arsenal deck you buy as an impulse by being in the store.

If the views on us "filthy casuals" are indicative of the general Malifaux community, I would rather stay at home, play DrunkFaux, and enjoy my time without having to put on pants.

Those of us who buy models and play just to play are looked down upon, and that's okay. We get it, we aren't welcome in your little world. We aren't the cool kids. 

Guess we should just go make our own forum somewhere else.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I've hidden three posts in this thread. You can like or dislike the way these models are being made available, but there is no reason for personal attacks or hostility. Keep the tone under control.

Noted. Apologies to you and CYDI.

• Like 2

Nobody is trying to look down on other people here. We're trying to point out that there are both avenues other than tournaments to pick these up(see: discussion of leagues), and that event organizers are not obligated to give out the contents of the kit to the winners (see: discussion of raffling items instead of allocating based on results). I acknowledge there may be some that find it difficult to get in gaming even on a weekly basis, but there's always the possibility of discussing raffling items with your Henchman and then just coming to local gaming as best as you're able.