May 2 - Malifaux Vintage

Really excited about the Misaki and Rasputina.
I like those sculpts a lot more than the current default sculpts.

Though I am disappointed that getting them sounds like it may only be an option for the most dedicated tournament players.  :\

• Like 1

1 minute ago, valhallan42nd said:

Event only models are meant to drive event attendance. If the models are readily available, it defeats that purpose.

I'm just stating that I cannot make events, so this is a negative in my view. i understand the intent, it's the execution I question.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, SpectreEliteGaming said:

Woooh! Good idea. 

I already have them all in metal though. ?

I suspect a number of them will look better than the metal version - I'm thinking "avatar" pandora in particular.

Good choice on McMourning, Raspy, Hamelin, and Somer - some of the best sculpts you guys have put out.?

You can only get them by playing? Boooo...

I suspect they will be sold as limited editions later, anyway. ?

I'd hate to see the gaming aspect take precendence over the hobby aspect - as it usually does. ? If hobbyists cant get their hands on these models witthout playing or ridiculous ebay prices that would be a shame.

I wouldn't: I think the gaming aspect is just as important as the hobby, if not more, and it is what keeps the ball rolling. Companies that keep thinking about themselves as hobby companies first and gaming companies second are sorely mistaken and usually in bad waters: one example, Games Workshop. Perhaps if they supported their games a bit more, they wouldn't have had to completely reboot Warhammer and turn it into a joke. Personally I am into Malifaux for the game first, and the hobby second (although obviously I LOVE Wyrd miniatures) and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I think I am lucky that Wyrd minis are beautiful, but I would paint them anyway even if they weren't, if they were the minis required to play such a great game ;)

I think this is a great way for Wyrd to encourage people to PLAY Malifaux (it's truly an awesome game) and a great move on their behalf! Are you sure you don't wanna give playing Malifaux a shot? ;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CanYaDigIT said:

If they are only in tourny kits it makes it more worth your time to play in them.

I disagree.  If people don't enjoy playing in tournaments (or don't have the time to), they shouldn't be penalized/discriminated for not wanting or being able to participate in them.  And like previous limited edition models, there's no reason why theses can't be direct to sale, even if for just a brief period of time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rat King said:

I would do terrible terrible things to get that Hamelin model.

...unfortunately it sounds like those "terrible things" will mean buying it off ebay.   :(

Try playing Malifaux ;)

Jokes apart, I hear you, I myself don't have that many events to attend, I have 4 guilders so far, see what that gets me...maybe a foot of Pandora? :D
But this certainly gives me an incentive to participate more. I'll pester my Henchman: "when is the next tourney?"

If its direct sales it gives no incentive to those of us who do play in the tournaments. After playing in quite a few I have pretty much every plastic model available. I play on a regular basis but since new people arent coming to tournaments, I play the same people all the time and it is getting stale. This should help bring some people out of the woodworks to play and if you really cant play in events, you may have to pay extra for ebay.

• Like 2

Just now, Nexus said:

Really excited about the Misaki and Rasputina.
I like those sculpts a lot more than the current default sculpts.

Though I am disappointed that getting them sounds like it may only be an option for the most dedicated tournament players.  :\

I can understand that concern, but tournaments are not the only event types that you can earn mystery boxes: story encounters, leagues, campaigns, enforcer brawls, henchman hardcores, painting competitions, Through the Breach Campaigns...

• Like 2

Just now, edopersichetti said:

Try playing Malifaux ;)

I don't want to speculate on how many guilders each of these may cost, or how the redemption will work, but unless it's extremely generous, it may take someone who doesn't place Top 2 every event a VERY long time to get these.

Ebay may be a terrible place, but I'm willing to go to a terrible place to get Hamlin sooner.  :D

• Like 1

Just now, Rat King said:

I don't want to speculate on how many guilders each of these may cost, or how the redemption will work, but unless it's extremely generous, it may take someone who doesn't place Top 2 every event a VERY long time to get these.

Ebay may be a terrible place, but I'm willing to go to a terrible place to get Hamlin sooner.  :D

Haha as I said above (I edited my post: I didn't wanna sound like a d**k) I hear ya...I have only 4 guilders so far, so I don't know how long it'll take me...curious to know the amound needed and how redemption works! Luckily tourneys in my area are of smallish size, and I usually win :P

At the end of the day, eBay IS a terrible place, but if you really love the models and have no other choice...I've been to terrible places already for Malifaux :D

10 minutes ago, CanYaDigIT said:

If its direct sales it gives no incentive to those of us who do play in the tournaments.

Again, I disagree.  Historically, people who play competitively will play in tournaments, irregardless of prize support. 

After playing in quite a few I have pretty much every plastic model available.

Not everyone is as fortunate when playing in tournaments.   I placed in the last two tournaments I played and got the EXACT same model in both "Mystery Boxes".  Goes to show that how one person's experience should not speak for the majority of others' experiences.

I  play on a regular basis but since new people arent coming to tournaments, I play the same people all the time and it is getting stale. This should help bring some people out of the woodworks to play....

Not trying to be offensive, but that's the responsibility of your local henchman to promote the game and bring people in.  If you find the community running stale, then consider being more proactive in improving/expanding it.  Bringing people out of the woodwork to compete won't improve your local meta either.  Building the community from within with the people you have playing already and promoting the game positively, however, will. 

...and if you really cant play in events, you may have to pay extra for ebay.

Which brings me back to my original point about penalizing/discriminating players who can't attend events...

That all said, I remain hopeful that this will change. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, valhallan42nd said:

I can understand that concern, but tournaments are not the only event types that you can earn mystery boxes: story encounters, leagues, campaigns, enforcer brawls, henchman hardcores, painting competitions, Through the Breach Campaigns...

That's making an awefully big assumption of the Henchman running a lot of events and buying kits for all of them.
Our Henchman is a busy guy.

21 minutes ago, edopersichetti said:

BTW, not sure if somebody asked this already but...what is the Guild special model? Sonnia? Perdita? Lady J? It's the only one I can't recognizel, I don't know Guild very well (they're my least favorite faction...to say the least :lol:)

It's Sonnia.

17 minutes ago, CanYaDigIT said:

I hope it doesnt change. It would be nice to have tournament only prizes so that it brings in new people and gives more incentives to do events.

Curious - would this being on direct sale, even for a limited time, impact your tournament experience? If so, I'd suggest some serious introspection. Because if it is the case, you are getting your kicks not from a tournament or event, but from lording something over other people. Not from playing the game, or painting the minis. 

Some people have kids. Some people have work. Some people don't like to go to organized events. Them having access to these miniatures should in no way impact your access to these miniatures, or your enjoyment of organized events. 

• Like 3