May 2 - Malifaux Vintage

I think the models look great. Adding more interesting options to the mystery boxes is great. I'm not bothered by the models not being for general sale since they are alternative models. For me it would be like being upset that I can't buy LE models that were for general sale before I played the game. 

I can understand people wanting access to everything, as hobbyists we all tend to be collectors. If the strategy brings more people into the game then I'm happy. 

10 minutes ago, Absolution Black said:

It feels like wyrd are kicking casual gamers in the teeth. 

I'm guessing (hoping) you've never been kicked in the teeth. :P

I get it.  I want that Hamelin.  I'm a highly casual player in an area without a strong community who realistically will never have the opportunity to get Hamelin.  I'm disappointed in that, but at the same time, I recognize the value in strong prize support systems and how they grow communities.  I think the system is great for the game as a whole and maybe just maybe, if the game can grow a bit more overall, I might actually see some more interest locally.

Or I get nothing out of this, lose little out of this, and someone I will probably never meet might be happy where I am disappointed.  If that's the worst of it, good for them I suppose.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pyrflamme said:

Nobody is trying to look down on other people here. We're trying to point out that there are both avenues other than tournaments to pick these up(see: discussion of leagues), and that event organizers are not obligated to give out the contents of the kit to the winners (see: discussion of raffling items instead of allocating based on results). I acknowledge there may be some that find it difficult to get in gaming even on a weekly basis, but there's always the possibility of discussing raffling items with your Henchman and then just coming to local gaming as best as you're able.

Perfectly reasonable. And also way too many hoops for me to go through to spend money. Again, I get what Wyrd is trying to do. But now instead of spending $60 (which is about what I'd pay for that Pandora model, maybe a bit more) with Wyrd I'm gonna take it and buy a box or two of Infinity models, or a decent bottle of bourbon. Both [insert online retailer and/or my FLGS] and the liquor store a block from my office make it incredibly easy for me to part with my money.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pyrflamme said:

Nobody is trying to look down on other people here. We're trying to point out that there are both avenues other than tournaments to pick these up(see: discussion of leagues), and that event organizers are not obligated to give out the contents of the kit to the winners (see: discussion of raffling items instead of allocating based on results). I acknowledge there may be some that find it difficult to get in gaming even on a weekly basis, but there's always the possibility of discussing raffling items with your Henchman and then just coming to local gaming as best as you're able.

I don't own a car, and the nearest LGS locations running events literally require taking buses to trains to buses and then walking if I do not have a ride. I also have a weekend schedule at work, so Saturdays are out, and Sundays are reserved for the only rest I get all week. So when I say I can't do events, I mean ever. 

8 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

I'd just like to point out that there is no indication at all that these won't be available during one of the 3 big sales like every other alt model, just as every other alt model is available in mystery boxes or will be for guilders whenever they end up launching those in full. 

So, essentially, I need to spend another $100-300 to get a random model I may not even want? I am not exactly enamoured with memories of that either.

Edited by Aaron
To keep it a bit more civil.

Possibly they will be, but if they are only available as stretch goals then it's another brick in the wall to obtaining them. 

I have been with Malifaux since 2010 and there is now very little I want or need. I certainly wouldn't want to be held to ransom to get a model I want. 

I realise I am not entitled to everything wyrd makes, but at least a fighting chance may be better!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Absolution Black said:

Well this pisses me off.

I play when I can. It's not often. I don't get time for leagues or tournaments. It feels like wyrd are kicking casual gamers in the teeth. 

But I guess it will just be more money to the competition, the way I am beginning to feel about their approach as a whole 

Yeah... that's kind of the problem with event support- in encouraging people to go to events, you're excluding those who don't have the time.

I think it would be great as a part of an optional league buy-in or some such, but I don't like tournament attitudes and despite my area theoretically having leagues, I've never participated in one that sustains itself well.

So, at the moment, my option for the alt sculpts is simply using the older metal ones. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

The amount of assumptions folks make, one way or another, and the ensuing conversations that turn into arguments, personal attacks and drama flat out amazes me some days. Normally I can ignore it well enough. Not in the mood to today. 

Save the pitchforks and torches, and please don't presume to make broad statements on what we are or aren't doing as if you're part of the office conversation that took place. These are several months off from even being put into circulation and to use in various ways that they are intended. Feel free to conjecture, even offer opinion, but don't dig yourself in and fight to verbal death because 'you know'. 

I am all for a rational discussion, because that is how overall community grows and improves. I just don't take well to some of the attitudes expressed above. 

16 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

The amount of assumptions folks make, one way or another, and the ensuing conversations that turn into arguments, personal attacks and drama flat out amazes me some days. Normally I can ignore it well enough. Not in the mood to today. 

Save the pitchforks and torches, and please don't presume to make broad statements on what we are or aren't doing as if you're part of the office conversation that took place. These are several months off from even being put into circulation and to use in various ways that they are intended. Feel free to conjecture, even offer opinion, but don't dig yourself in and fight to verbal death because 'you know'. 

You created something people are extremely excited about.   Isn't it thrilling to have so many people so very passionate about these figures?  
We're even willing to tear each other apart.  

...you may have created a devoted cult of cannibals...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nexus said:

You created something people are extremely excited about.   Isn't it thrilling to have so many people so very passionate about your product?  

...you may have created a devoted cult of cannibals..

LOL. I think its true

24 minutes ago, koronuslight said:

I don't own a car, and the nearest LGS locations running events literally require taking buses to trains to buses and then walking if I do not have a ride. I also have a weekend schedule at work, so Saturdays are out, and Sundays are reserved for the only rest I get all week. So when I say I can't do events, I mean ever. 

So, essentially, I need to spend another $100-300 to get a random model I may not even want? I am not exactly enamoured with memories of that either.

No, I mean the ones you can buy for $25. And when have the rewards at those price points ever been random? 

1 hour ago, CanYaDigIT said:

What both of you fail to see is that you are not entitled to anything wyrd makes. I support them keeping it in the henchman boxes. It will boost events and help local game stores. If you "dont like tournaments" or "cant make them", it looks like you will have to pay extra on ebay for those models. You can still get them but at a higher cost. 

Yeah, you're right. I suppose I could make it to those tournaments. I'm sure my wife (the one needing constant medical care), or Benshin's kid could definitely be left alone for a few hours. It's really my fault for not having the time.

• Like 2

It's what I both enjoy and dislike some days to be honest. 

I'm extremely proud of what we have done and the interest and enthusiasm that folks give to Malifaux can be a very heady and overwhelming experience some days that has you either smiling like an idiot, worried you did something wrong, or just flat out frothing at the mouth because of one thing or another. 

And that's not based off the Pandora Avatar model, but the original Pandora we did back in the day. Was always one of my favorite pieces. If these go over well (and I suspect they will), we'll do over 'vintage' pieces from the old metal, early releases, but that's likely next year at this point. 

• Like 4

Point 1.:
At first, the models DO look great. Kudos to wyrd.
I also realise to how much lenght they go to support the community. WHICH IS A GOOD THING!
They made these models to support the community. There aren't a lot of companies that do care about the community to such an extend.

Point 2.:
I'm sad at the same time. But its a subjective sadness not one of the objective mind.
I can understand that "limited availability" is some kind of a status symbol to show off your dedication.
And that a plastic-peen is of course a great way to encourage the communitry. (Its part the envy speaking out of me ;P )
But I as a subjective casual gamer will be very sad to never be able to sleep with such a nice Hamelin model under my pillow nor being able to hord enough of these tokens at the area im livin in.

6 minutes ago, Nexus said:

You created something people are extremely excited about.   Isn't it thrilling to have so many people so very passionate about these figures?  

...you may have created a devoted cult of cannibals...

So we're all Decemberists?

4 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

No, I mean the ones you can buy for $25. And when have the rewards at those price points ever been random? 

That sale structure remains to be seen. We don't know the how or when, or what would be available. In the interim, we only have past sales to go on, and the last time 4 alternate sculpts were offered, it carried a $300 price tag. 

Whether or not Wyrd does this again or releases individual sale items is up to how much coding they want to throw on their storefront. 

15 minutes ago, koronuslight said:

That sale structure remains to be seen. We don't know the how or when, or what would be available. In the interim, we only have past sales to go on, and the last time 4 alternate sculpts were offered, it carried a $300 price tag. 

Whether or not Wyrd does this again or releases individual sale items is up to how much coding they want to throw on their storefront. 

And the models that were only available at those price points before showed up as direct purchases. Wyrd has yet to release anything in plastic that hasn't been directly purchasable after a time. Yes this may be that exception, but none of us know for sure, and immediately vilifying them for not making them directly purchasable isn't the way to go.