Sign in to follow this  
RodneyAnon

Lucius Crew - Beyond the basic set

I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere and often, but I'm still pretty new to Malifaux, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

I've graduated from the basic Lucius set (still lining up the commencement speaker for the graduation ceremony) and I'm looking to make a few additions. I'm pretty certain that riflemen & austringers are must haves, but if I'm mistaken, please let me know. I would also like to add a mimic (I'm taking this slowly, a few models at a time): which would be a better choice - Mr. Graves, a doppelganger, or beckoners?

I also have the starter set, which works nicely with Lucius as it comes with both Guild & Neverborn models all with mercenary attributes. This allows Lucius (AKA "The Heir to Prince's Wardrobe") to have access to fast scheme runners, enforcers, and ranged attacks.

Many thanks in advance.

Lucius_Crew.jpg

• Like 1

Riflemen and austringers are legit additions. I would also recommend wardens since they're a bit more durable.

Of the mimics my opinion is that the doppleganger is almost a must-have, Graves is solid and the beckoners are not worth their stones unless you also bring illuminated (which you can only do if you declare neverborn).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Riflemen and austringers are legit additions. I would also recommend wardens since they're a bit more durable.

Of the mimics my opinion is that the doppleganger is almost a must-have, Graves is solid and the beckoners are not worth their stones unless you also bring illuminated (which you can only do if you declare neverborn).

Many thanks. looking into wardens. Have the cards (I picked up a guild Arsenal set early on), so I'll check the stats & read up on their tactica

18 minutes ago, RodneyAnon said:

Many thanks. looking into wardens. Have the cards (I picked up a guild Arsenal set early on), so I'll check the stats & read up on their tactica

You might also need a solid henchman or enforcer. Dashel is widely regarded as sort of weak. It's important to have good henchmen for several schemes since they often target your most expensive model or only allow the aforementioned categories to score. The guild have a really solid selection of henchmen, unfortunately the only way to get them is through the various masters' boxes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

You might also need a solid henchman or enforcer. Dashel is widely regarded as sort of weak. It's important to have good henchmen for several schemes since they often target your most expensive model or only allow the aforementioned categories to score. The guild have a really solid selection of henchmen, unfortunately the only way to get them is through the various masters' boxed.

Yeah, the only other henchmen i have access to right now are Grimwell (who can, at least, cover 15" in a turn) and Angel Eyes (extra shooting support, but would cost an extra stone if I play Guild Lucius). Something to think about when picking up another box set: Perdita would give me access to Franciso, who appears to be a 1st Class Henchman, but I'm not sure what else from that set I could use. Lady J would give me Samael Hopkins - less thrilling than Francisco and cost one more stone (and has one less in his cache), but I'd get some Witchling Stalkers who could come in handy. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Riflemen are essential if you want Dashel to be worth his weight. No idea why they included guild guards in his core set, since they don't have the stats for dashel or lucius to properly buff.

I think Tannen is a fantastic choice, and not horribly expensive as a model, even if you decide to never expand into neverborn. Graves is nice if you want him/have tannen/want to stay in-theme, but not a unique role like tannen.

I think witchlings are a strong choice since they're just really good minions for the price, and have definitely been eyeing wardens (didn't before since the old models were really pricey).

The starter pack definitely looks possible, those minions look nice with him, and angel eyes looks like a good merc in general, but that's all guesswork.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RodneyAnon said:

Yeah, the only other henchmen i have access to right now are Grimwell (who can, at least, cover 15" in a turn) and Angel Eyes (extra shooting support, but would cost an extra stone if I play Guild Lucius). Something to think about when picking up another box set: Perdita would give me access to Franciso, who appears to be a 1st Class Henchman, but I'm not sure what else from that set I could use. Lady J would give me Samael Hopkins - less thrilling than Francisco and cost one more stone (and has one less in his cache), but I'd get some Witchling Stalkers who could come in handy. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

You mean Sonnia, she has Sam and the witchlings in her box. Despite him being my avatar I can't get good mileage out of him. He hits hard but is too easy to kill (which is the general difficulty Lucius' crews already have). Lady Justice has Judge and death marshals in her box. Both stalkers and marshals are decent minions and Judge is very durable. Francisco is of course also a very solid choice but Lucius will probably not use the rest of Perdita's box.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ludvig said:

You mean Sonnia, she has Sam and the witchlings in her box. Despite him being my avatar I can't get good mileage out of him. He hits hard but is too easy to kill (which is the general difficulty Lucius' crews already have). Lady Justice has Judge and death marshals in her box. Both stalkers and marshals are decent minions and Judge is very durable. 

Sorry, meant Sonnia. Hmmmm...never thought about the Judge. And those Death Marshalls are pretty sweet.
Really, just about the only "sold separately" henchman is Ryle, and I'm not sure if he's worth the 10 ss cost. 

5 minutes ago, RodneyAnon said:

Sorry, meant Sonnia. Hmmmm...never thought about the Judge. And those Death Marshalls are pretty sweet.
Really, just about the only "sold separately" henchman is Ryle, and I'm not sure if he's worth the 10 ss cost. 

Oh, he's worth it! I love the guy! He takes and deals a lot of damage and if the enemy is clever enough to try and kill your minions instead of him he can heal the constructs (so wardens and hunters in the list increase his usefulness). He is also very manouverable with his (0) push if you don't need to heal. The difference between Ryle and Samael is that Ryle survives long enough to do what they're both supposed to do. Just be aware that if your enemy can ignore armour he drastically drops in survivability which is sad.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Oh, he's worth it! I love the guy! He takes and deals a lot of damage and if the enemy is clever enough to try and kill your minions instead of him he can heal the constructs (so wardens and hunters in the list increase his usefulness). He is also very manouverable with his (0) push if you don't need to heal. The difference between Ryle and Samael is that Ryle survives long enough to do what they're both supposed to do. Just be aware that if your enemy can ignore armour he drastically drops in survivability which is sad.

OK, I'm handing Sameal & The Judge a rose each and moving them along to the next round - the talent competition...which looks kinda disturbing now that i read it on the screen.

• Like 2

I guess Francisco and Papa are both solid additions to Lucius. Frank ist the No. 1 bodyguard and can Companion Flurry after swaped in with "What Lakys are for". Same for Papa who can blow up in the enemys face after companioning in the same way.

I don't like the Judge as you won't have that much use for his movement trick and he is very pricy, even for his resilience.

Austringers seem nice in general but won't profit that much from the Lucius support and fill gaps that the crew of a support master is not supposed to have (pushing other models + interacting). Of course the ridiculous sniping is always great. 

I feel hounds could be great due to the fact that they are guardsmen which synergizes quite nice with dashel/sniper. A doppelgaenger is awesome but i wouldn't take the upgrade just for that model without any other synergy/mimic like graves/tannen. I personally will try him without the neverborn even though the upgrades, primordial magic and illuminated seem pretty jucy for him.

Hoffmanns box seem great too as it brings you several minions like the hunters, the guardian and the watcher that all like additional AP in their very specific role.

P.S. Sorry for the bad writing. Mistakes are intentional for entertaining. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Munindk said:

Hoffmans box will give you Hunters and a Watcher, very useful minions.

There is some nice synergy between Hoffman's grew and Lucius'...plus there's the hunter's chain harpoon which is like a Beckoner set on agro mode.

Hunters may be my favourite guild model actually. I should have mentioned them since I never take Lucius without at least one (often two). Get hoffman's box (and possibly Ryle) before anything else might actually be very solid advice.

The harpoon giving auto slow is nice but the real kicker is the :+fate to attacks. Lucius is always out of cards so he needs models with built in :+fates.

• Like 2

Alternatively an executioner or peace keeper can ruin someones day when you drop it in their lap with what lackeys are for but taking more than one high cost model with Lucius (i.e one of the above + a henchman) means the rest of your crew build needs to be designed carefully to ensure you have enough minions to allow his mechanics to function.

Alternatively the Judge, Sidhir or Samael can all have functional uses with Lucius depending on crew build, strats, schemes and enemy build. 

• Like 2

OK. I've reached a decision. Thanks to everyone for their valuable input!

Ruled Out (for now)

Extra Mimics (Mr. Graves, Mr. Tannen, a Doppelganger, or Beckoners): Better to go with guild-intensive firepower for now.

Austringers: "Hey, everybody! I brought a bird to gun fight!" Would love to have one but I think a can get a reasonable facsimile of their "Ignore cover" ability with another model for now.

In 

Ryle: It's the combo of the Gatling gun & his killer (literally) punch that sold me. As pointed out, above, by wiser souls - I'll need a strong henchman.

Hoffman Box Set: Again, as pointed out above, this will give me access to two hunters (chain harpoon + pounce on chest + claws = grizzly death) and i can also use the watcher to get the "Ignore cover" ability I was after with the Austringers.

Guild Rifleman:  Using Issue Command & Commanding Presence, it's possible to 3 focused attacks out of a rifleman. Also there's the factor of the automatic 2 Wd delivered to any target charging within 14".

Once again. Thanks to all of you who posted for your help. As you may have notice, my final list looks very different from my initial list. 

• Like 1

I would seriously reconsider the mimics at least the ones that be purchased separately, Graves and Tannen can be amazing and beckoners used as scheme runners which can pull along slow models or pull models out of danger (or enemy models into danger) are fairly under-rated, however I'm working on about 5 different Lucius crews to see what I can make work.

Definitely pick up guild hounds, Dashel giving them focus plus their 1pt charge is great with Lucius especially if he is throwing in scheme markers and then keeping them in his aura.
Their damage track once they are focused is impressive for such a cheap model.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Vorschlag said:

I would seriously reconsider the mimics at least the ones that be purchased separately, Graves and Tannen can be amazing and beckoners used as scheme runners which can pull along slow models or pull models out of danger (or enemy models into danger) are fairly under-rated, however I'm working on about 5 different Lucius crews to see what I can make work.

Definitely pick up guild hounds, Dashel giving them focus plus their 1pt charge is great with Lucius especially if he is throwing in scheme markers and then keeping them in his aura.
Their damage track once they are focused is impressive for such a cheap model.

Planning to pick up Graves, Tannen, Beckoners, and a Doppelganger as my next purchase: Stickily Mimic haul.

My wish list still includes Guild Hounds, Guild Executioners, Wardens, Austringers, Master Qeeg, a Pathfinder, and the starting lineup of the 1974-75 Philadelphia Flyers.

I plan on trying a "release the hounds" crew with neverborn running guild hounds and tainted hounds with  him as one of my builds.
A hunting party also seems fun austringers, pathfinders, hunters, hounds and maybe mounted guard. 
I'm already half way through the build for my masquerade ball themed crew and my guild redcoat themed crew.
The Lucius obsession won't end there though....

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Vorschlag said:

I plan on trying a "release the hounds" crew with neverborn running guild hounds and tainted hounds with  him as one of my builds.
A hunting party also seems fun austringers, pathfinders, hunters, hounds and maybe mounted guard. 
I'm already half way through the build for my masquerade ball themed crew and my guild redcoat themed crew.
The Lucius obsession won't end there though....

I saw your post about the Masquerade Ball themed crew and think it's a brilliant idea (Love that story - I think it's in issue number 12, but I'll double-check).
The hunting party crew is VERY Lucius! My compliments on your evil plan! I have a lot of catching up to do.

I use a peacekeeper and switch it and Lucius at key points to flurry the face off an enemy beater/master; especially if I've got the red joker in hand to try and get massive damage. I also take an Orderly to heal people who've been Devil's Deal'd, and Highest Authority can allow me to drag it up the board to save its AP. Grimwell with Expert Sleuth is hilarious once the game gets going and there's scheme markers everywhere as his move is just huge

• Like 1

On 5/5/2016 at 9:22 AM, ArcanistHero29 said:

I use a peacekeeper and switch it and Lucius at key points to flurry the face off an enemy beater/master; especially if I've got the red joker in hand to try and get massive damage. I also take an Orderly to heal people who've been Devil's Deal'd, and Highest Authority can allow me to drag it up the board to save its AP. Grimwell with Expert Sleuth is hilarious once the game gets going and there's scheme markers everywhere as his move is just huge

Grimwell is a such a great secret weapon. Would love to see how he works in a McMourning crew.

On 5/2/2016 at 9:12 AM, RodneyAnon said:

Guild Rifleman:  Using Issue Command & Commanding Presence, it's possible to 3 focused attacks out of a rifleman. Also there's the factor of the automatic 2 Wd delivered to any target charging within 14".

Just be aware that using Focus on an attack will use up ALL the Focus the model has; it's either use some Focus or none when you attack. Plus you'll need at least 1 Focus in order to do the 2 Dg trick to chargers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ArcticPangolin said:

Just be aware that using Focus on an attack will use up ALL the Focus the model has; it's either use some Focus or none when you attack. Plus you'll need at least 1 Focus in order to do the 2 Dg trick to chargers.

Yes, but the riflemen have...um...hats. OK, you got me there.

No, it works, you just need to be careful of the order:

Lucius issues command for focus + shoot (#1)

Lucius commanding presences for a focus

GR activates, shoots with focus (#2)

GR focuses as a 0 with dashel, shoots (#3)

...though I think a focus without the third attack is more efficient.

• Like 1