Making a Henchman become a Peon

Samsson

Question

Hey guys!

Interesting question came up during yesterday's game. If I have chosen my henchman for the Gaining Grounds scheme Undercover Entourage and succeeded in walking him over the table into the opponent's deployment zone, can Madame Sybelle use her Bleeder Lash trigger "Death Mark" to make my henchman into a Peon and negate the points I would be scoring?

So the real question is, when is the "must be a henchman" locked in for the purpose of schemes like this?

9 answers to this question

When you choose this Scheme, note down one of this Crew’s Master or Henchman models. At the end of the game, if the chosen model is in the opponent’s half of the table, this Crew earns 1 VP.

If the chosen model is in the enemy Deployment Zone at the end of the game, this Crew earns 1 additional VP.

If the chosen model is in the opponent’s half of the table at the end of the game and has half or more of its Wounds remaining, this Crew earns 1 additional VP.

When you choose the scheme, it has to be a valid choice.  After that, nothing cares what happens to the model.

Because you don't look across the table and go "Ha, I have conquered time and now you are retroactively a cheater because you chose an invalid model!"  :P

I mean, Howard Langston didn't stop being Howard Langston because he's now a peon.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the requirement of "be a Henchman" affects only when you choose the model. The scoring VP only requires that the model choosen is in the deployment enemy zone, regardless if at that point he is a Henchman or not.

21 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I'd there anything in the rules to say a model can't have more than one station charactersic? Because if not it only matters for schemes that specify non-Peon models, which I believe undercover entourage doesn't.

"A model never has more than one station characteristic"

It doesn't matter whether the target of entourage becomes peon or not though. At the beginning of the game you have to choose a non-peon model. At the end of the game the chosen model can earn you points depending on its location. The station characteristic only matters when the model is chosen.

• Like 1

Entourage says that the model chosen must be a henchman/leader and if that model fufils the condition then you score VP. This is regardless of whether it still is or isn't a henchman. The wording is fairly clear IMO. The model is still the same one you chose and because the henchman part is only important when selecting the model Bleeding Lash does not stop the model from completing the scheme.

Bleeder Lash states "Death Mark:After damaging,the target must discard one card or gain the following Condition for the rest of the game:Death Mark:This model is treated as having the Peon characteristic for Encounter purposes and may not take Interact Actions."

Seems fairly clear from that he would be a Peon and so would not score if you had not removed the condition by the end of the game.