Ice Dancer... o..m..g

GrimmMJ

So I just started reading up on the Shifting Loyalties book and got to the Ice Dancer.. Holy h*** what a scheme-runner! It can move 16' across the board AND drop a marker in the same round?? The Butterfly Jump looks awesome on paper as well.. And for 6ss.. 

Dont know much about Colette but since Ice Dancer is a Showgirl I bet she has even more mad synergies than a plain scheme-runner for Rasputina.

She's a great scheme runner no matter the master, I tried her recently as an alternative (like we need one) for Leave Your Mark with an otherwise standard Ramos crew and the mobility is just crazy good.  Putting synergy in there with Raspy or Showgirls is just icing on the cake.

She's a huge blessing for Raspy considering how lacking she was with marker based schemes (strictly speaking with regards to in-theme options of coarse). The ability is suit dependant and even though the TN is relatively low, those low tomes are a valuable resource for Raspy given her ability to surge with low tomes on two of her spells.

Colette on the other hand is obviously not as hurting for more scheme markers so their inclusion with her is less critical. Especially since she can sort of replicate this using her trap doors upgrade anyway. It's still a good model with her and I could see myself running it with Colette every now and then.

Not 

14 hours ago, Griffin839 said:

Ive had lots of success with Raspy, but since I've been proxying the ice dancer I've had an easier time of it. Raspy is all about vectors and the ice dancer fills in the gaps. Now they don't have anywhere to hide.

Is it hard not to "outreach" Rapsys 10' mirror with the Dancer? Since she moves so fast she might just leave Raspy in the dust. 

7 hours ago, GrimmMJ said:

Not 

Is it hard not to "outreach" Rapsys 10' mirror with the Dancer? Since she moves so fast she might just leave Raspy in the dust. 

You can definitely do that if you aren't careful. Sometimes you don't care. Its possible to run them around the opponent's side of the board dropping schemes, then bring them back into to ice-mirror range. it's something that takes getting used to. like everything in this game you just have to keep practicing until you have enough experience to quickly determine what's the best call in all situations.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the ice dancer but I have had no luck with it.  I get it to drop a scheme marker turn one but by the end of turn 2 my enemy has killed it out of scheme running fear.  I have tried to hide and and no luck. They can butterfly jump from shoots and casts but when the enemy charges they fall real quick.

With Colette, the performers/mannequins/ice dancers/raptors/doves/effigy spot is pretty crowded :) The good news is that they all really shine in different situations, so it's really about skill instead of just an obviously superior choice. Spoiled for choice!

Reminds me of my Neverborn and the silurid/gupps/madnesses/terror tots/effigy spot.

On 4/28/2016 at 9:59 AM, GrimmMJ said:

Holy h*** what a scheme-runner! It can move 16' across the board AND drop a marker in the same round??

Jeez, 16 feet?!

Holy H*** is right, god and I've been playing on a 3'x3' board this whole time, how many stones are you running?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MagicGis said:

Dude no jokes about people not being familiar with the fine details of your heavily outdated measurement system... metric won the war... accept it.

Telling an American to accept anything is pretty much futile. Speaking as an American if we don't like something we will either ignore its existence or raise so much hell it gets changed. It's a cultural thing. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Griffin839 said:

Industry standard I believe. Modern miniature games began in England and migrated over here.

So that is the rules part (if I understand you correctly), but GW is from England and has been playing on mm bases for as I remember playing their games (since the late 90's?).

14 minutes ago, Griffin839 said:

Telling an American to accept anything is pretty much futile. Speaking as an American if we don't like something we will either ignore its existence or raise so much hell it gets changed. It's a cultural thing. 

As an American, I wish I could disagree with you on this, but I can't :(

Edit: I can't see it going over well with the masses, but I for one wouldn't mind switching to Metric for everything

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 7thSquirrel said:

I for one wouldn't mind switching to Metric for everything

Malifaux people don't use standard measurement systems too often, metric or not... I keep on reading things like "Rasputina will combo her spell and knock all your crew to an ass-hair's width from death".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 7thSquirrel said:

Does anyone know why games continue to make bases in mm's, but we play in inches? Seriously, this has always bothered me.

Inches makes more sense for distances due to the relative size of the table. You could use cm of course, but then the move that would max out at more than 20. Inches is more convenient on the tabletop. Some games have use 1M equals 2cm which is roughly the same scale, but even that gets more tedious than 1M = 1".

mm makes more sense for everything other than tabletop measuments, especially everything concerning production templates, because the metric system is pretty much the official standard measument system of the whole world...

• Like 1

What's less convenient about walk values maxing out at more than 20 [centimeters]? Mental math doesn't magically get harder once you pass twenty. If anything people seem to start having trouble past ten.

It would be fascinating to see how slightly more granular movement values affected the spread of model stats. If nothing else, all those 1" and 3" engagement ranges would have to be sorted into whether they were rounded down or up, and if so whether 2" ranges would have to become the midpoint between those two values, instead of converting into 5cm without question.

There is a very rough correspondence between the 0-14 range of the deck results and the 12 inches to the foot so that all the game stats are similar numbers even though only one is bound to a real life measurement system as well--if walk values changed to centimeters, would it change the few but necessary walk duels to TN 20+, and how would people react to those values being so different (although of equal probability) than the current attack and defense values?

The strength of imperial measurement is how easy the units are to factor for quick mental math, but we're not multiplying or dividing for results in this game, so there is null advantage in that.

1 hour ago, Gnomezilla said:

What's less convenient about walk values maxing out at more than 20 [centimeters]? Mental math doesn't magically get harder once you pass twenty. If anything people seem to start having trouble past ten.

Inches and feet are stupid conceptually....but they're damn useful in real life (they're just a handy length).

As to people having trouble past 10....probably true. 99% of malifaux maxes out at 12 though, which is much better than being up around 20 for centimeters.

• Like 1