April 25 - Rules Manual

Lucidicide

This is a great trend in miniatures gaming, making it easier than ever for new people to enter the hobby.
I'm really glad to see Wyrd doing this!

The only thing that would make it better would be a link to the download from the Resources page, even if it's just a "Download the Full rules at DriveThruRPG" so new players know where to go.

:+fate:+fate:+fate

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PotentiallyLethal said:

Just wondering if this is a permanent deal? Just so I can point everyone to the rules who want to start

That is the current plan, yes.

18 minutes ago, Nexus said:

The only thing that would make it better would be a link to the download from the Resources page, even if it's just a "Download the Full rules at DriveThruRPG" so new players know where to go.

I am in the process of doing other updates. For example, the Malifaux webpage now references it. It'll just take me a little bit :)

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, thebarbalag said:

Well, it was a Through the Breach update. That doesn't mean there won't be Gremlin voodoo goodness in book 4, just that we haven't seen it yet...

Which means as for now - non-existant. Don't worry, if there is something coming along the lines, I will be frolicking and dancing, while throwing bills around for Wyrd to catch.

• Like 2

I see the Monday Preview concept has been changed to be the place where Wyrd makes announcements. Maybe they think we're too stupid to realize what "preview" means. Wyrd can't even claim this is a preview of something they're going to do as it's already been done.

Color me disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Lemonjello said:

I see the Monday Preview concept has been changed to be the place where Wyrd makes announcements. Maybe they think we're too stupid to realize what "preview" means. Wyrd can't even claim this is a preview of something they're going to do as it's already been done.

Color me disappointed.

They also included an art preview of a model from Book 4.

Thanks. That's an awesome move and will hopefully bring a lot of people into the world of Malifaux.

I do have one question thou: As these PDF is free, are we allowed to give a copy to friends or is everyone asked to go to DriveThruRPG and download it him-/herself? Also applies to the Chronicles btw. Would like to give it away / share all Chronicles to friends, but I'm not sure as they are all watermarked.

46 minutes ago, spielervier said:

Of course, I'll only what's officially available for free. Especially Chronicles and basic rules could really help to get people excited.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I would say it'd be better to pass along the link to your friends. That way Wyrd can keep accurate count of how many people are getting the free book. Not necessary, but it helps them get an idea of how 'good' of an idea making this rulebook free is.

I'm personally glad to see them making this available for free. It certainly caused a bit of a buzz on my local wargaming FaceBook group when I posted the news!

I'd love to see Wyrd make all of the stats for models available for free as well.  A slimmed down version of each of the books with just the stat cards, or even better a PDF with all of the models for a faction (dual faction models would be in both PDFs) would be FANTASTIC!  Make it easy for folks to see the stats for the models they are considering buying, I assume Wyrd makes most of its profit from Malifaux from models, not books.  Based on my experience those people who like books and/or want to read the fluff (e.g. me) will buy the books, and those who just want to look at the stats before buying will look at a book on the shelf of the FLGS for bum off a friend instead of putting down the $40 for book they only use to check stats.

If someone is interested in getting into the game and wants to know what they need to get started I tell them something like "The rulebook costs $15 (now I'll add you can get it for free) and a starter set cost $35-$45, but if you want to see the stats you have to spend $40 on this book.  There are more stats in these two books at $45 each"  I don't need to tell them about the three big books, but if feels dishonest not to at least tell them they are the only "official" way to see the stats on a model before they buy it.

I'd much rather say "A starter set cost $35-$45 and a rule book cost $15 or you can download it.  All the stats for mini's on-line.  These three $40-45 books are nice and have all the fluff, but you don't need to them to play."

The second has a much lower barrier to entry.  And once you get the hooked...

I hope this message isn't too off base for this thread, but its been on my mind for a while and this seems like a good time to bring it up.  Also I'm not a business owner and I know the folks at Wyrd know a lot more about running a game company than I do, I trust you guys to make the right call for Malifaux.

Thanks

• Like 6