Denim (Jeans) - Old, wear out effect

consolas

Hey guys!

I've come across another thread (from 2010) here, regarding painting denim, where someone showed this.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/241104

This is brilliant and I know that I won't be able to replicate it on my short painting experience. That said, I do want to get as close as possible and I painted the pants (lenny, for that matter and some space marine figure that will serve as test, the poor guy) as close as possible to this.

Now, I used regal blue and I think I should have used some white that would "fade" the blue. The pants are painted now with a strong blue - how can I get this blue to be less "vibrant" ?

Hope this makes sense. Let me try to show you some pictures

r6XS7c0.jpg

Here I tested out with white, I think. I should pay more attention instead of just experimenting. Anyway, the color is less shiny and I think better for the wear out effect. But alas, Lenny boy has a brand new shiny new pants.

TK5aI0C.jpg

How can I wear out this? Should I just draw lines of white and with a wet brush spread it like the other tutorial stated? 

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

I think it's easier to mix paint on the palette than blending it directly on the miniature. So after base coating with blue, mix a little light grey into the blue and paint the raised parts, then mix in some more and paint smaller parts of the raised parts with that. Rinse and repeat as much as you have patience for.

In general lightening a colour with white makes the end result a bit more pastelly/cartoony than if you lighten them with grey.

Most jeans use a weave of blue and a warm offwhite with gold thread for some of the trimming. Anywhere that is worn will probably have more of the warm offwhite showing than other areas. I find it helps to use a white with a slight yellow tinge for highlighting rather than a light blue or white because it represents the blend of fibers rather than just making the blue lighter. Texture is something that always trips me up. I am still trying to learn how to paint realistic denim. Most miniature artists seem to use hatching. I have yet to make it look correct, but I feel I am getting better about colour selection.

• 2 weeks later...