Dreamer and Tannen

Puppeteer

Has anyone had any experience playing or playing against a Dreamer crew with Tannen with the goal of summoning Teddy's? I love the idea and have started investing in some more Teddy's (total of 3) to either play from the beginning or to summon if the chance arises.

It can work very well when it works.  The problem is there are two cards in the deck that can do it, 13 :mask and Red Joker.  You're not exactly guaranteed to get those in your hand through the course of the game, so you need to have a plan for Tannen to contribute to your goals outside of summoning a Teddy.

He also lets you summon other models with lower than usual mask card, which can help a bit with bum draws.

I find tannen is pretty good with the Dreamer as he evens the playing field a bit by draining your opponent's hand. Mr. Graves is also good for movement help and as a bodyguard which gives you another to use tannen also.

7 hours ago, Puppeteer said:

Thank you, been trying to figure out how I want to play Dreamer. definitely going summoner dreamer though.  The idea of summoning teddy's peeked my interest but the chances of it seem too slim to bank on as a strategy.

I'm going to echo what Adran said, don't plan on it, but it is a nice treat when it happens. Also it might be beneficial to not immediately summon a Teddy when you can. I've held onto a 13 :mask and baited my opponents beater into attacking my seemingly vulnerable Dreamer, only for there to suddenly be a Teddy in his face next activation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2016 at 7:08 AM, Puppeteer said:

Thank you, been trying to figure out how I want to play Dreamer. definitely going summoner dreamer though.  The idea of summoning teddy's peeked my interest but the chances of it seem too slim to bank on as a strategy.

I've been trying to figure out how to summon Teddy. With a 6mask on the cast + a 13mask or red joker, I am still short of the goal. What is needed to hit the required 21 double mask (SS cost of Teddy + 10TN)?

5 hours ago, Dubh said:

I've been trying to figure out how to summon Teddy. With a 6mask on the cast + a 13mask or red joker, I am still short of the goal. What is needed to hit the required 21 double mask (SS cost of Teddy + 10TN)?

Tannen has an ability that lowers the value of :tome cards by 2, and raises the value of :mask cards by 2.  That makes the 13 :mask into an effective 15 :mask, and the Red Joker is an effective 16 :mask.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

Tannen has an ability that lowers the value of :tome cards by 2, and raises the value of :mask cards by 2.  That makes the 13 :mask into an effective 15 :mask, and the Red Joker is an effective 16 :mask.

So Tannen would be necessary. Is he useful outside of this for the dreamer?

I mean, it's only two cards in the deck, and at best you're unlikely to get them in your hand even once per game.  It happens, but is still unlikely.  It does make it even easier to get other summons out so long as you get masks in hand.  Insidious Madness on a 7 :mask, Stitched on an 8?  Quite nice. :D 

Tannen is only 6ss, so not a big investment into your crew, and he does have other handy tricks like penalizing the opponent for cheating and his pseudo-Chatty aura.  So overall a good take, even if the Teddy summoning never happens.

• Like 2