aionus material?

SpiralngCadavr

I had not heard anything. I am so far outside of the loop I have no idea who to even ask to ask. I am on the doubtful side however. The primary cost for miniatures is tied up in making the molds. My understanding is that PVC and HIPS use different types of molds. Maybe in the future, but it does not make a lot of sense to me to manufacture a new mold for a model that just had a production mold made for it. It would be much more likely to happen if they plan to do an alternate sculpt. This is pure speculation so I could be completely off base.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Aionus 10th Anniversary model and it is definitely made of other material than regular Malifaux models. But I cannot tell exactly what it is made of. At glance it is similar to models made by FFG for their boardgames: Decent, DOOM, Gears of War etc.

And I'm confused on how to prepare it for painting. From my experience this material "doesn't like" sanding/filing. And I ever don't know how the primer would hold on it.?

I don't like to nay-say, but the only things that I know that work on cleaning PVC are cutting w/ sharp hobby knives and (I've heard) very specialized abrasive materials. Many regular prepping methods like scraping a knife roughly perpendicular to the surface or using regular files can cause the surface to slightly shred, getting snags that will be obvious after priming, unless aionus is made out of a type of PVC I haven't encountered before (he seemed like he was made of a standard one)

36 minutes ago, SpiralngCadavr said:

I don't like to nay-say, but the only things that I know that work on cleaning PVC are cutting w/ sharp hobby knives and (I've heard) very specialized abrasive materials. Many regular prepping methods like scraping a knife roughly perpendicular to the surface or using regular files can cause the surface to slightly shred, getting snags that will be obvious after priming, unless aionus is made out of a type of PVC I haven't encountered before (he seemed like he was made of a standard one)

I can testify that Cadavr is right; it is made of the evil jelly pvc that can only be worked by a blade. 
A recast would be excellent but I'd prob prefer a re-sculpt or nightmare ed...

I had no issues with mine, it took paint quite easily and I cleaned it up pretty well (photos before I based him). He was actually quite an easy model to paint since he was larger. I do personally prefer assembling my own models but it was nice to have this guy ready to go right away and found the material to be fine.

BvluCfIKHdf82bLmTl4W2iTq6YMFfftf9dCdYg3C

PUga5BWzUO8jsaTXCh9oPQEJxvUr3Q9w6LA5qMnh

• Like 3

On 5/4/2016 at 11:53 AM, SpiralngCadavr said:

Didn't say he wouldn't take paint or couldn't get cleaned, just that PVC is a different beast than HIPS.

Also, sorry he's already painted valhallan, but you've some prominent mold lines near the bottom, there.

Eh. What can ya do?