Frightening Dream and Chain Activations

Hi everybody!

Can anyone provide some real clarification on these two abilities? My new player chose The Dreamer against my Ulix (ugh) and had some big issues this week, and honestly, those abilities confuse me as well. 

How exactly does Frightening Dream work? 

Also:

Chain activations can only affect one other model. However, if the other model that was activated BY that chain activation ends his activation within range of another model, does the new model then chain activate? And so on? It felt like there was a lot (a LOT) of long turns being taken on the NB side, and it didn't seem right. I have never played NB, which is probably where I'm running into issues explaining.

Kind of n00b questions, I know, but clarification would really help me out. 

Thank you!

The Chain Activation rules:

Chain Activations

Some models will have Abilities that allow them to Activate under certain conditions. The most common of these is the "Companion" Ability, which allows the model to Activate when a friendly model ends its Activation within 6".

These Abilities trump the normal Activation sequence (alternating between players) and can allow one player to Activate two models in a row. However, a player can never declare the use of more than one such Ability between her opponent's Activations. In this way, a player can never Activate more than two models in a row without her opponent having an opportunity to Activate a model.

A model can not use these Abilities to Activate if it is not eligible to Activate normally at that point in the Turn. For instance, a model that has already Activated (and doesn't have the Reactivate Condition) cannot use Companion to Activate again during the Turn.

So the answer to the question "However, if the other model that was activated BY that chain activation ends his activation within range of another model, does the new model then chain activate?" the answer is "No, the other model does not chain activate because you're not allowed to declare the second chain activation."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wolpertinger_press said:

Super helpful, everyone, so thank you! An addendum: when a model is chain activated by another model, does that count as the model's activation (i.e. that model does not take its normal activation thereafter)? 

The only thing Chain Activation does is allow you to activate two models in a row.  It's still an activation subject to all of other game mechanics.  In other words, that chain activation is the model's normal activation, it's not giving you another one.  Additional activations are handled by Reactivate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, solkan said:

The only thing Chain Activation does is allow you to activate two models in a row.  It's still an activation subject to all of other game mechanics.  In other words, that chain activation is the model's normal activation, it's not giving you another one.

FAN-tastic. That's what I thought! That's a huge help. 

46 minutes ago, wolpertinger_press said:

How exactly does Frightening Dream work?

Just a quick follow up on the other half of your post...

As far as I can tell, Frightening Dream is something that the previous edition of Dreamer had, the current M2E version of Dreamer doesn't work the same.  Or, at least, I can't find 'Frightening Dream' in any of the 2nd edition books.

Which mechanic were you trying to ask about?

1 minute ago, solkan said:

Just a quick follow up on the other half of your post...

As far as I can tell, Frightening Dream is something that the previous edition of Dreamer had, the current M2E version of Dreamer doesn't work the same.  Or, at least, I can't find 'Frightening Dream' in any of the 2nd edition books.

Which mechanic were you trying to ask about?

That's exactly what I thought. He was incredibly concerned about using that ability because he'd read about it, but it's not on the 2E card, so I was kind of at a loss.

Likewise I can only see is as the old dreamers way of unburying nightmares, It was intergral to his playstyle then but he doesn't do that anymore. 

I can probably tell you how it worked if you really want to know, but you'll have to play first edition to use it. 

(Of course you'll have to specify if you want pre or post bury errata).

2 minutes ago, Adran said:

Likewise I can only see is as the old dreamers way of unburying nightmares, It was intergral to his playstyle then but he doesn't do that anymore. 

I can probably tell you how it worked if you really want to know, but you'll have to play first edition to use it. 

(Of course you'll have to specify if you want pre or post bury errata).

Thank you for the offer! But nah, we play 2E, and I think he just read the wrong ruleset, which I totally should have checked out before I let him fly. :)