Rooster Riders what do they do for Gremlins?

Brewie

So the Gremlin Rooster Riders are finally being released and the miniatures looks amazing.

I will for sure be picking them up.

What I would like to do is to have a discussion about the Rooster Riders.

Do they do anything the faction lacks?

What synergies do they have with Gremlin masters or other gremlin dudes?

Any tips, tricks or tactics would be great.

• Like 1

Move 21" turn 1 and threaten anything in the opposing backfield forcing your opponent to devote resources to dealing with them.  Or if the opportunity is there, 14" move followed by a 7" charge with a 1" melee gives you a 22" threat range.  Makes them amazing at taking out things like a hiding Austringer or McCabe's Doggy (I see a fair amount of Guild by me).  Also, any time you want to put scheme markers on the opposing side of the table, these critters can get there. 

Edit:  In some ways, they do the same as Merris.  However, you may want to take the same role in minion form (and not an enforcer) sometimes for strat/scheme reasons.

• Like 1

If mobility is in question they are kings as long as they have more then 2 wounds. Alternatively if have frame for murder charge this guy down you enemies master throat. As they can go reckless and charge as a 1 means they can get 2 - 4 attacks on a turn you charge depending on distance. So they are good deep zone scheme runners and fantastic interceptor models.

They are non pig models that can do Ml engagements well.

• Like 2

They kinda undercosted for what they do. They have fairly poor defensive stats (same as a Bayou Gremlin but with two more wounds) but everything else about them is incredible - Wk of 7, and the only model to have Bayou Two Card, Reckless AND Charges as a (1). Decent shooting and great melee with the opportunity to get off four charges per activation if everything goes perfectly.

Rampage is kind of a downside but they're so fast that hopefully by the time they get that low, the closest legal targets are enemies, and then it becomes a benefit again, as :+fates to damage flips means more often cheateable damage flips, which synergises very nicely with Bayou Two Card.

Zoraida loves 'em. She doesn't need a hog whisperer or to be super careful with their placement like with pigs, but can still do the nasty Obey Charge.

• Like 1

Zoraida's love for them has already been quoted.  

Mah can turn them up to 11 as well.  Not only does Do It Right make them even more monstrous in melee, but they benefit from all the chores.  MI 7 is great.  Ignoring severe terrain is awesome on a Move 7 model.  Cards when they die are never unwelcome.  Popping when they die is something.  

So'mer likes melee models to compliment his shooting and Do It Like Dis can give them auto-stampede for more roostery goodness.  Between MI 6, Bayou Two-Card, and potential Rampage boosts, they'll do a ton of work on turns that the Big Hat is used.

Brewmaster can Obey-charge them, although he needs the mask.  Might be a good beater alternative to his usual Moon Shinobi.

Ulix... well, they're not pigs.

I'm not 100% sure about Ophelia.  Ht 2 is anti-synergy with Shoot High, Boys, but that's not a huge deal.  They're fast assault models that can beat up things that would otherwise be resistant to shooting or out of range.  They can also do some scheme work with her, although I think Bayou Gremlins and Lightning Bugs are better for pure scheme-running.

Wong could use them.  He's already really good at clearing out the chaff and the Roosters are accurate and hard-hitting enough to actually do some damage to whatever is left standing.  Obviously they're too fragile to make a good Glowy target.  Wong also needs less help with scheme running since he's so good at manipulating scheme markers already, so Roosters can do what they do best.

I'm super excited.

17 minutes ago, Adran said:

Any model that has the chance to make 8 attacks in 1 activation can probably make a case for inclusion regardless of the master. 

They are completely and utterly bonkers. I have no idea how they came out of the beta looking like they look.

Ml 6 and a crazy damage track of 2/4/6. And Bayou Two-card. And Reckless and one AP Charges and then Rampage adding positives to attack and damage so that if it does go on a Rampage, it is actually less likely to hit your own dudes but makes absolute mince-meat out of the enemy.

Oh, and a 12" rifle with Dumb Luck because why not? And Wk 7.

I have no idea why they are like that. They should have Ml 5, 2/3/4 damage track and no Reckless. They would still be extremely good.

• Like 5

I think the balancing factor is that their defensive profile is comparable to most 4ss minions in this game.  Df 5, Wp 4 and 6 wounds (and let's be honest, you'll be using Reckless all the time) will be lucky to survive a second hit.  In addition, sniper models only really need one good hit early on, since then you'll be in Rampage mode before you've moved out of your lines.  Even with the plus and Bayou Two-Card to mitigate things, it's still not great.  

These guys hit waaaaaaay above their weight class, though.  The only reason I don't say that these are the most "glass cannon' models in the game is because the Viktorias exist.

11 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

They are completely and utterly bonkers. I have no idea how they came out of the beta looking like they look.

Ml 6 and a crazy damage track of 2/4/6. And Bayou Two-card. And Reckless and one AP Charges and then Rampage adding positives to attack and damage so that if it does go on a Rampage, it is actually less likely to hit your own dudes but makes absolute mince-meat out of the enemy.

Oh, and a 12" rifle with Dumb Luck because why not? And Wk 7.

I have no idea why they are like that. They should have Ml 5, 2/3/4 damage track and no Reckless. They would still be extremely good.

I think some things in Malifaux are simple beyond normal explanation ;)

6 hours ago, Friendly Neighborhood Ging said:

Have any of you thought about lists with a bunch of Rooster Riders? With who and what? Also the why? Anybody think you could run a powerfullist with 4-5 of the buggers?

Pick any master.

Take 3 of those chicken riders to wreck a havoc in the enemy lines.

Pick rest of the crew according to the schemes/strategy with a staple models like: Trixie, Francois + Stilts, Merris.

Crew ready

:)

13 minutes ago, D6Damager said:

For Rooster Rider spam I would choose Zoraida > Mah >Brewmaster > Somer. Ophelia and Ulix need their synergy from other models to really shine which doesn't leave a lot of leftover points for riders. Wong doesn't really do anything for them.

I'd rate Somer higher than Brewy since Encouragement is excellent in making Roosters Rampage when you want them to.

• Like 2

I need to know if I missed something, to me the card has set em off without the ability to turn it off because they aren't pigs and the ability isn't called set er off. So they can't be anywhere near any of your other models. So, yes they are very mobile but very hard to control because, just like a pig, they will charge whenever they can.

21 minutes ago, Nosilloc said:

I need to know if I missed something, to me the card has set em off without the ability to turn it off because they aren't pigs and the ability isn't called set er off. So they can't be anywhere near any of your other models. So, yes they are very mobile but very hard to control because, just like a pig, they will charge whenever they can.

Only when they're at or below 2 wounds. Any by then they should be in your enemy's face.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2016 at 5:31 AM, rgarbonzo said:

Ophelia doesn't need much just Old Cranky and Lenny, rest of the crew can be Riders and it won't matter much to her at all. 

I would have a hard time leaving Francois, Slop Haulers, and even Merris out in favor of Riders.

• Like 1

Slight side note and this might be common knowledge but am I reading Encouragement right that if you take a charge action you get + to both attack duels?  As the attacks are resulting from the charge (2) action which was encouraged?  If so makes RR encouragement pretty great if you can position things right with ++ to attack and + to dmg on ML 6...

7 hours ago, rgarbonzo said:

I use Bugs in lieu of Haulers, Merris to me is meh, and Frank while good has low Df and Wp for what I look to do. YMMV.

Wp 7 is too low for what you look to do? So you play mainly only Zoraida with Pigapult and Hannah?

Got to say that Francois having too low a Wp is likely the weirdest criticism said about him ever. You did qualify with that YMMV so I suppose that it's safe to say that basically everyone else's mileage indeed does vary :D 

6 hours ago, Rhadge said:

Slight side note and this might be common knowledge but am I reading Encouragement right that if you take a charge action you get + to both attack duels?  As the attacks are resulting from the charge (2) action which was encouraged?  If so makes RR encouragement pretty great if you can position things right with ++ to attack and + to dmg on ML 6...

Yup, the :+fate would even apply to horror or manipulative duels. It's pretty great.

• Like 1