psychogeek

April Community Contest

I like this series of contest this year.  It's fairly interesting, although I have not exactly had time to take part in any of them.  I do very much enjoy the envolvement of the community though, quite nice :)

I do think a "set piece" of terrain relating to something in game would be pretty cool though.  Like lab equipment for a Guild Morgue or Asylum, or an Arcanist Research lab or Library or something.

Fun things.  Sounds fun anyways :P

• Like 1

ooh terrain.... 

mwahhahahahahaha 

does it have to be one piece? can you make like a whole board? 

do you have to build it all from scratch or have some kicking around you can use? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trapthem said:

ooh terrain.... 

mwahhahahahahaha 

does it have to be one piece? can you make like a whole board? 

do you have to build it all from scratch or have some kicking around you can use? 

I don't see why you couldn't make a whole board.  But I don't know if something like that would be a chronicle article, just due to size considerations :P

As for starting for the contest vs using old stuff.  I would assume the intention is to start upon hearing the contest.  Although considering the whole process is user submitted and there is really no definitive way to verify, I believe it's honor based.  If you had one item that was your "Inspiration" piece, and crafted a set of really cool theme items around it, I doubt you'd be accused of cheating or anything.  But simply submitting a board you made in the past is probably against the spirit of things :)

Not that any of my answers matter, I am not the one running the contest.  Just best guesses.

• Like 1

Oh I just have some stuff I just built and primed for a malifaux board with some stuff to still build.

Just did that two weeks ago though. I'm assuming you'd have to build and finish now though yeah? 

Im building a modular board right now with smaller terrain peices. I love the idea of this event. Although since I am no where near a expert terrain builder, I dont see much incentive to participate in this. I understand Wyrd's side of looking for Chronicles content, but it would be nice if there were some prizes for participating. Maybe some random winners from the pool of applicants. That would be all it takes for me to include my terrain experiments.

• Like 1

Sounds great - I'm going to buy three affogatos on the way home and grab a handful of wooden stirrers at each place.

Edit: question answered in initial topic post, apologos

Edited by GOTH
asking silly questions - answer clearly stated

Not sure what homemade is really classed as either. If I design and make something with a laser cutter is that homemade? If I buy some fences off ebay and add them to something that count? 

Or is this popsicle stick and pom poms type deal?

On 4/6/2016 at 1:19 PM, wolpertinger_press said:

Awesome timing. I'm starting an expansion of my bayou board tonight. :)

Lol...there might be more than one bayou board posted in here, I'm just starting mine now :D 

• Like 2

I know this has already been asked a couple of times but can we get a definition of "homemade"? If I buy something and convert it to look "malifauxized" does that count?

I was thinking of getting a tree and converting it into the hanging tree.

Ok, made good use of this weekend: cut wood and assembled it together in a nice 3x3 square, then got some blue foam and started going creative with the hot knife. Once I had a satisfactory layout, glued the whole thing together using Gorilla Wood glue. The Bayou is starting to take shape...

IMG_1538 copy.jpg

• Like 1

Hi! Don't know if you want all the pictures here. Here it goes:

The Gripping Tree

During the early stages of exploration around Malifaux, the legend goes, a caravan of 18 families, ranging from Innocence to the shores of Lake Crescent was completely massacred by a band of nephilim. Men, women and children, were slowly bled, forming a pool of blood that persisted for days, despite inclement sun and the aridity of the region.

Those who dared to pass that way in subsequent days and months have seen a growing tree in the middle of the blood pool. Blood was reduced not by evaporation, absorption of the soil, but because the tree used it as vital energy. Over the years, the pond of blood disappeared, but the tree kept growing.
According to stories told in crummy taverns of Innocence, any living thing that happens to pass a league from the tree, feels attracted by the Gripping Tree, and ends committing suicide by the trunk, allowing him… it, to grow in size and power.

Rules: At the end of the turn, any model that is within a range of 12 inches from the tree base will move all its movement toward the tree, following the shortest route.
Models that are 1 inch apart from the base should make damage roll 2/3/6.

944937_774661172665874_19065488908083387

13006457_774661082665883_186806979796315

I made it with a plastic bottle of coke. With parts of sprues for the branches. The coating is paper and glue at the beginning. Then pulp: paper cut into pieces, and flaked with water, then stuck with glue to the bottle. I used newsprint and cheap toilet paper.

The complete WIP gallery: 

https://www.facebook.com/Bigo.Casaubon/media_set?set=a.774661009332557.1073741838.100003659962312&type=3

12963752_774661229332535_454911872353276

13012811_774661285999196_862678967500738

13015108_774661319332526_482363804742663

12963836_774661149332543_314126051047400

• Like 7

This is the project soaking up all of my time this month, it is a 2' by 2' building (or at least the first floor) which will eventually be adorned with the name Smedleys asylum block B.

Initially I had hoped to represent the entirety of a 19th century institute as a 2 level building but since they were sometimes the size of a small village themselves that would never work on a 3' by 3' board.

So this piece will go on a board as the first level and will eventually have a second level built for 4 player games.

Below are some images of the work thus far.
large.570f10280d356_SMEDLEYSASYLUM-blockBfirstfloorfromfrontandback.jpg

In the image you can see the building itself still needs work, there will be a a center pieces down the front stair well with pillars to hold up a piece of level 2.
I will eventually also have ivy growing up the walls but that is unlikely to be completed for a few months yet.
The biggest struggle with this piece was hand cutting all of the brick work on the outside aswell as the minor irritation of the plaster and stone base.
The building external layer is made out of foam card with balsa and green stuff applied as required.

large.570f102b8e628_SMEDLEYSASYLUM-blockBfirstfloorfromleftandright.jpg

The next shot (above) shows the cells down one side of the building and a staff area on the other including grimwells office and operating room, what will be the kitchen-going into laundry and the foyers used as a waiting room on the patients side and by the staff as dinning room on the other. 
Again construction is carved foam car, but here you can also see the wall paper i've been applying (wrapping paper soaked in coffee and tea and the start of the window frames etc from balsa.

large.570f102e39445_spotlight1.jpg

Above you see the toilet room, complete with 19th century french styled squat lavitorys...hoping to add some brass pipes and a hose to the wall for hosing the patients down and possibly separating the corner section into a cubical for staff use.
the other image above is the waiting room with carpet made from a cut up tea-towel and you can see further progress on door frames and window frames in balsa with what will be supporting beams presently on the floor.

large.570f1033dd44b_spotlight2.jpg

The final images show the back section of the asylum where two of the panels can be removed to show a basement torture dungeon complete with drowning pool.
The pool is made from a plastic sheet framed with balsa and covered with paint and "realistic water" the remainder foam card and balsa.

As you can see there still a lot of work to be done as a few more areas require wall paper, the cells will have their own padding glued in made from quilted farbric similar to a gambeson.

all of the doors require framing and the support beams need to be put in place in all sections along with skirting boards, I will be adding these after painting as it means I can paint them separately and glue them in with less risk to the wall paper.

Then eventually I will get to all of the furniture inside the building but since this needs to be ready for a tournament on the 7th of May my main focus will be on the building and the surround grounds (table).

I will add more pictures once I have it "completed" at the end of the month.

• Like 6

Another work in progress shot. It has been a busy week, especially with the Iron Painter deadline approaching, but I managed to paint all the pieces of land (which took a lot more layers than I would have imagined!!) and give a coat of paint to the water. The gaps you see are reserved for trees! 

All work in progress shots will be uploaded at the link below, so I can avoid clogging the forum (and also because it wouldn't let me upload high resolution pics!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110948505@N05/albums/72157664925320063/with/26436879236/

Hopefully this weekend and next week I'll have more time and will be able to make more progress!

• Like 1

Decided that my Daisy Town needs a town sign, and worked a bit more on the billboard

This is all just a couple small bits of mdf, some coffee sticks and matches stuck together with wood glue and wire so far

signs1.jpg

signs2.jpg

signs3.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Parintachin said:

Decided that my Daisy Town needs a town sign, and worked a bit more on the billboard

This is all just a couple small bits of mdf, some coffee sticks and matches stuck together with wood glue and wire so far

signs1.jpg

signs2.jpg

signs3.jpg

Those coffee sticks are amazing for wood! I am using, like, A TON of them for the bridges in my swamp. The lady at the coffee shop eyes me suspiciously every time I walk by...

• Like 2