New player: Does anyone summon Onryo (or Gaki) using Kirai?

mercury

I'm a brand new player. I just picked up the Kirai box, a Flesh Construct and the Hanged.

I've been looking at threads on here so that I can try to plan my future purchases.

The main things that drew me to the Kirai box were the Onryo. Does anyone use them to much effect with Kirai? They seem to be noticeably absent from the majority of Kirai lists posted on the forum; and the summoning advice seems to focus around Night Terrors, Drowned, Hanged and Shikomi. The same statement applies to the Gaki too, although they are not present in the starter box.

Also, could anyone recommend some lists up to 35ss that make good use of kirai's box?

Thanks

- Mercury

Usually you dont hire what you can summon, and while this isnt a hardline rule, it just allows you to better summon what you really need during the game, and take bigger more specific enforcers/minions/henchmen for the schemes and strats.

I personally occasionally summon Onyro with kirai. It's not often, as usually I summon the hanged, The Drowned, or Night Terrors due to how difficult they are to remove from the table and their effectiveness. Onyro are great when you need to spread out Adversary and/or tie some other minions/peons up. Theyre painfully average as well in melee and have little to their defense for their point cost. 

I never summon in Gaki except off of Datsueba/Kirai's triggers on their ranged attacks, so far. Groups of Gaki do well together, but aiming for that is a weaker strategy than just taking advantage of those triggers and summoning in The Hanged to deal damage/stop healing and the Drowned as tarpits, both of which do that job better than Gaki by far. However, dont forget about those crow triggers on Kirai and Datsue ba's ranged attacks to get them, as a free 5 point model that can heal itself is still incredibly useful for activation control and stripping medium to high cards from your opponent's hand/deck. 

I do and I love it! 

Focus against a target with 6- wounds left if you got the posibillity to cheat in severe damage, you will kill it and you will get a Gaki. Oh and it ignores armor to.. and does not randomise into engagement.. Sick shit imho

I personally like to hire at least one Onryo. Bombing it into your opponent, particularly if they end up clustered due to terrain, is great for setting up t2 wrecking with pulsed Adversary/slow tests. Since it's also incorporeal, it's very hard to stop it from hiding completely out of LOS then double-walking into range to tie things up at the beginning of t2. After that, I might end up summoning 1-2 more to keep tying up the cluster. It can be very painful for them when you get it off.