Ranged Support for Viks?

Iron Syndicate

Hi Guys,

I recently got into this game with the Viks box, and while I'm only starting to get the hang of things, I'm starting to look forward plan my next purchases.

It's been very clear that Vanessa & the Malifaux Child are a must buy, but one thing I noticed is that Viks are seriously lacking in Ranged support.

So who would you suggest as a ranged support for a Viks crew? 

The Freikorps Trapper is (I think) the best sniper for his points in the game. Convict Gunslingers are very good and can get off a ton of shots if you get a bit lucky. Lazarus is great. Vanessa and the Librarian have decent ranged options and bring other value to the crew. 

• Like 1

If you want buy full master box, think about:
- Leveticus (Rusty), can summon abominations, nice no charge zone 
- Von Schill (F trapper), sniper with reposition tricks

Smaller boxes:
- Lazarus, heavy support with blasts
- Hans, shoots into engagements without randomization, very slow
- Convict Gunslinger, immune to horror duels, can shoot back with correct defense trigger

Rusty Alice is awesome, but you'll need to buy the Levi box to get her. Hans can be useful if the board is light on blocking scenery and I will eventually get round to trying out Angel Eyes from the starter box, seems like she would be good but have yet to see her mentioned.

I would agree with most here that VS box is a great pickup for anyone playing Outcasts, Trapper and Lib are just great models for us. For additional ranged support I like to use Sue as well with my Viks, extra card drawing ability can be great when I'm building a hand before sending Blood off to do what she does best.

Vanessa would be my first pick, both providing range support and sister support in general.  After that, Lazarus would be a natural way to make use of her machine domination ability.  Alternatively, buying some Convict Gunslingers and making a Rapid Fire/Flurry heavy crew by giving her Howling Wolf Tatoo is fun and a pretty solid way to make the most of her box set..

In terms of raw efficiency though, Von Schill's box set is kind of a must buy.  The Librarian healing Vanessa goes along way towards keeping the Sisters alive, and the Trapper is just really, really efficient.  Malifaux Child also tends to go in my Vik must have pile once you're serious about playing them.

4 hours ago, LunarSol said:

In terms of raw efficiency though, Von Schill's box set is kind of a must buy.  The Librarian healing Vanessa goes along way towards keeping the Sisters alive, and the Trapper is just really, really efficient.  Malifaux Child also tends to go in my Vik must have pile once you're serious about playing them.

i tried this combination out.  I felt like it just put too many SS into essentially supporting the viks.  they've both fairly squishy (despite the Librarian's armour), and just don't really hurt the majority of models on the table enough - and if anything with a reasonable damage output and a bit of toughness heads over to their part of the table, they're both screwed.  I'd rather just park the child next to Vanessa, especially if I don't intend on moving Vanessa around much.

CGS are solid but the first one usually loses out to Sue because for a stone more the value is there. 

I like Laz when you are playing "clump up games" like Turf War or Guard the Stash, I prefer Trappers when its a spread out S&S.

And I always take Hans cause he is amazing.

On 3/25/2016 at 2:19 PM, LunarSol said:

It's mostly just for emergency, particularly with Survivalist on Ash.  Those two should really be using most of their AP to provide the kind of range support we're talking here with those excellent blast spells.

With only 4 damage max from Vanessa....I find her offensive capabilities to be pretty underwhelming.  Same with Librarian.  Good if there's incorporeal on the table, but not too much besides.  Given how squishy they both are I'd rather have them hiding - even a minion can take them out pretty easily.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had various levels of success with Hans.  There are times where his Smile you sonofa... can really put a damper on the other crew's master and his range is a good terrain denial tool as well.  However, his over all damage output is fairly low, and if terrain is dense, he may just end up standing there.  Sue doesn't have the range that Hans does, and he can be a little slow, but his damage output is pretty decent, and his Ring of Fire action can keep people away from him.  I had a game where I kept the Vikkies near him to take advantage of that and my challenger was a little hesitant to charge at them.