Updated Stat Cards.

Brancifer

AS the years go on it is more and more likely that this wonderful game is going to either go the way of the dodo or perhaps Wyrd will sell the license to someone (similar to what they did with Evil Baby Orphanage, though still haven't seen anything from that which is really too bad).

Well, in either way, I am actually trying to revive this forum a bit. I am going to play this game with some different friends, bring it to my local community, and then I will start to answer some of the unanswered questions. Now, I am no superhero in figuring out combos or lineups for games, but perhaps it will encourage others to show some of their work or thoughts behind the strategies they use :) It is a long shot, but if the community would thrive a bit more, they might just start prioritizing this....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

AS the years go on it is more and more likely that this wonderful game is going to either go the way of the dodo or perhaps Wyrd will sell the license to someone (similar to what they did with Evil Baby Orphanage, though still haven't seen anything from that which is really too bad).

Sorry Omenbringer, meant to quote you :)

@luckyreplica Don't mind my dreary tone; I appreciate the effort. Puppetwars has been one of my favorite games since the original version first came out way back when.

Would love to see some new things for the game, particularly since the mini-boardgame genre is so popular now. Would make my day if future Unstitiched booster expansions (aside from finishing off in the larger plastics what was already available in the original version of Puppetwars) featured an alterable board layout (with Terraclips Floor tiles/ Walls/ Doors/ Stairs/ etc) and some 3-d terrain (breakable of course).

I still contend that Puppetwars was ahead of its time and still has a lot of untapped potential left.

• Like 2

For me, Puppet Wars is in a weird place because it has card mechanics that are similar but not the same as Malifaux (so you don't get any 'If you've played X, then this will be easy to learn' cross over in either direction) but the game is using effigies of the Malifaux characters so you get the 'Fan of the character' cross over.

That character cross over makes it really unlikely to get licensed off to someone else, compared to EBO or one of the other games.

This thread really makes we want to sit down and try to 3D print some toy boxes and mountains sized for the board, though.  :mellow:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

@luckyreplica Don't mind my dreary tone; I appreciate the effort. Puppetwars has been one of my favorite games since the original version first came out way back when.

Would love to see some new things for the game, particularly since the mini-boardgame genre is so popular now. Would make my day if future Unstitiched booster expansions (aside from finishing off in the larger plastics what was already available in the original version of Puppetwars) featured an alterable board layout (with Terraclips Floor tiles/ Walls/ Doors/ Stairs/ etc) and some 3-d terrain (breakable of course).

I still contend that Puppetwars was ahead of its time and still has a lot of untapped potential left.

I totally agree. Silver tower, skirmish games, lords of Hellas.. All games seem extremely popular and they are all board games or small army games. What also struck me is the lack of "professional" or OK quality battlereports. I dable with the idea of making one in a bit of a cartoony manner. 

The potential is huuuuge and i have no idea how Wyrd can let this potential stormer go to waste, especially when they could use terraclips...

3 hours ago, solkan said:

For me, Puppet Wars is in a weird place because it has card mechanics that are similar but not the same as Malifaux (so you don't get any 'If you've played X, then this will be easy to learn' cross over in either direction) but the game is using effigies of the Malifaux characters so you get the 'Fan of the character' cross over.

That character cross over makes it really unlikely to get licensed off to someone else, compared to EBO or one of the other games.

This thread really makes we want to sit down and try to 3D print some toy boxes and mountains sized for the board, though.  :mellow:

You are right and i know some who wont Play it because of its ties with malifaux... But here is the thing, it is a separate board game. It should not include the full or half the mechanics in my opinion.

Sounds like a crazy good idea. Also thought about some in house obstacles to put on the board, and my Friend and i talked about creating our own board alltogether. 

Anyways, i see there are still some burning spirits for this game, which makes me even more excited for this. Just had a game today with a friend, his first time playing it. December acolyte is a beast and a huge gamechanger with a little luck in the cards. Add in some Ranged or high movement to poke those last stitches... Boom :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, luckyreplica said:

I totally agree. Silver tower, skirmish games, lords of Hellas.. All games seem extremely popular and they are all board games or small army games. What also struck me is the lack of "professional" or OK quality battlereports. I dable with the idea of making one in a bit of a cartoony manner.

With alterable Terraclips boards Puppetwars could be the equivalent of Krosmaster or Super Dungeon Explore.

Would love to read some of your battle reports and highly encourage the cartoony narrative style. I always enjoy reading the narrative style reports (for Malifaux but could see even more potential for Puppetwars). Just remember to really play up the naivety of the puppets and the parody of their actions.

4 hours ago, solkan said:

The fact that many people thought it would be "Malifaux Lite" was one of the major (non-marketing) issues with the game. Though I would also say that a major opportunity to cross market the game was missed when Wyrd didn't play that up and include a quick start rule supplement for Malifaux along with Cards for at least a Lady Justice and Seamus crew (the basics of which were present in both the original and Unstitched versions of the game). Could have made a decent 2-player starter box with the added bonus that it was its own game as well.

I agree the Malifaux character inclusion makes selling the franchise unlikely. Too bad as this seems to be a very distant project in the development cue (if there is any renewed action please oh please don't make it another reboot!!!).

If you do decide to print some 3-d stuff for Puppetwars let me know. I might be interested in getting some from you (or at least the files to use in a Maker space).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 4:29 AM, luckyreplica said:

Well, in either way, I am actually trying to revive this forum a bit. I am going to play this game with some different friends, bring it to my local community, and then I will start to answer some of the unanswered questions. Now, I am no superhero in figuring out combos or lineups for games, but perhaps it will encourage others to show some of their work or thoughts behind the strategies they use :) It is a long shot, but if the community would thrive a bit more, they might just start prioritizing this....

I'm with you, Lucky! - I'd love to see life get breathed back into PW and some tactics/strategies would be great. It's a shame someone hasn't spearheaded a project like PullMyFinger for Puppet Wars. :(

• Like 1