Deployment - Within or Completely Within?

Philosfr

Question

An interesting question came up this week concerning deployment. The rules for deployment state "deploy within X inches of the" corner/edge/etc. It doesn't say completely within or say anything about behind behind a line. Since in other places, the rules indicate that if ANY part of the base is "within X inches", it counts... is that true for deployment?

In other words, if deployment is "within 12 inches of the corner", does that mean you can deploy a model with the front half the base 12.5" away from the corner, but the back side of the base is 11.99 inches from the corner?

I don't know how much impact this really has on the game, but it was interesting from an intellectual standpoint. I've never seen someone play like this.

7 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

Actually the rules do say that you have to deploy your crews completely within the deployment zone. Unsurprisingly enough that is stated under deploying crews.

Interesting. We had the small manual we were referencing, not the complete one. There, it kept specifying "within" and not completely. (Page 78 & 79). 

Direct quote:

A player will deploy within 6" of a chosen Table Edge, with the opponent deploying within 6" of the opposite Table Edge.

I only have that copy with me right now, I'll have to check the big book. But I'm looking at the entire deployment section in the "rules only" manual and it definitely is not saying completely within. 

EDIT:

Aha! So 78-79 deals with deploying and how to deploy. There it's not specified.

But now that I'm looking at an electronic copy, I found page 92 does say "completely within". So I feel like there's no doubt, but we had several people pouring through manuals and all of us just went to 78-79. Nobody thought to look under the section on page 92

17 minutes ago, Philosfr said:

No, we were using the table of contents to go to the entire section where it talks about how to deploy :P

Kids these days can't even search for information in books... I blame the interwebs.

Edit: ...and now that I actually took a look at the table of contents, I see that there's section called Deploy Crews there as well, and it's the same same section that can be found in the index. You are officially out of excuses. :P

• Like 3

7 hours ago, solkan said:

As a point of trivia, the phrase "completely within" occurs three times in the rules, and only in the main rulebook.

Two of those three instances are the rules for deploying crews.

And the third is in Resser faction scheme. (No, I did not look at the book.)