Hamelin first list

amazingdev

Hi all,

New player to Malifaux here. I've decided on Outcasts as my first faction, and Hamelin as my first master. I've heard with his summoning he can be a bit hard as a first master, but I'm OK with that. His two box set models sold him and the game for me. I've read up a bit on how to play and what models work well with him. What do you think of my first list?

Hamelin

-Sewer King

-Survivalist

-The Piper

-7SS

The Stolen

Crooligan x 3

Johan

Nix

Obedient Wretch

Sue

My plan was not to focus completely on summoning rats but using what I can get as the game goes on, building up to Rat Kings and then Rat Catchers to get more activations each turn. I've hired a Crooligans as my main scheme runners while the chaos goes on. Johan and Sue are my first couple turn hard hitters until the rat machine has started up. I wanted to switch out Sue and 2SS for Taelor but I can't find anyone selling her separately from the Viktoria's box set, and I don't want anything else from that set. Plus, I get to play Johnny Cash in the background each of Sue's activations.

Do I stand a chance?

As a general list, it sees ok. 

Some suggestions to try would include trying him at minimum cache, and see how much you need stones. Putting oath keeper on Johan and Nix is at least 1 way to use up those spare stone in crew selection. 

Survivalist is a good way to learn playing Hamilin as it is really strong with him, but you might find as you get used to him you don't need it as he is already very survavable. 

The lsuit is very general, and should be able to compete in all games. 

You'll find minimum cache on Hamelin willl occasionally suck alot as if you dont have the crows in hand, you will want to stone for cards or the wretch is top decking to throw rats and that will leave you thinking "rats...." when it doesnt work. The rat engine really requires a stolen to start, and two successful rat tosses in order for a turn 1 rat king, but the more you can get turn 1 the better.

In example:

Hire a Stolen, Obedient Wretch, Johan (12ss)

Have Hamelin stone for suit, summon 2 stolen. Have Johan remove slow on one of the stolen, then sac 2 of them for 4 rats. Ratking then rat and rat catcher that. Have the wretch throw 2 rats at either  Hamelin or more rats, then use the last rat catcher activation to throw another rat and end turn 1 with a catcher and king! You could kick it fully into macro mode and rat and catcher that second king, but thats your call. 

1 hour ago, Khoregard said:

You'll find minimum cache on Hamelin willl occasionally suck alot as if you dont have the crows in hand, you will want to stone for cards or the wretch is top decking to throw rats and that will leave you thinking "rats...." when it doesnt work. The rat engine really requires a stolen to start, and two successful rat tosses in order for a turn 1 rat king, but the more you can get turn 1 the better.

In example:

Hire a Stolen, Obedient Wretch, Johan (12ss)

Have Hamelin stone for suit, summon 2 stolen. Have Johan remove slow on one of the stolen, then sac 2 of them for 4 rats. Ratking then rat and rat catcher that. Have the wretch throw 2 rats at either  Hamelin or more rats, then use the last rat catcher activation to throw another rat and end turn 1 with a catcher and king! You could kick it fully into macro mode and rat and catcher that second king, but thats your call. 

That's...ingenious and scary. I love the idea!