March 14 - Thrace

Lucidicide

5 minutes ago, Leoneth said:

yes, you absolutely should.  The stories are fantastic and well written and really flesh out the characters and the world of malifaux in general.  However, as far as I know, all stories are set post-second breach era.  The only mention of the black powder wars that I know of is in the main rulebook where the timeline overview covers the wars existance and it's outcome.  I personally would love some pre-malifaux and pre-second breach stories, maybe in book form if the world and lore become popular enough to warrant publishing such a thing.

I think it's more of an issue that Wyrd isn't exactly out to produce novels.  While I do think they put great work into what they do, I don't think they're looking to try and market stories on their own.

Although I love that they have Chronicles released on a regular basis with new stories and interesting tid-bits, and they involve the community to design or introduce story elements into the game (Like this month's Community Event).  So it's great they have that aspect to play around with, but it's not something I see them focusing on anytime soon.

Although they did bring on Curtis recently as an Artist, so maybe it won't be too long before they find a writer they really like, and want to be pumping out awesome stories on the regular :)

I think the main thing about a novel is you really need to commit to a large event that underpins the novel, and that's not a small thing when you're trying to move the story forward at a restrained pace in a game where all the factions have to maintain their presence. Compare to the short bits they do where we get a sense of what goes on in Malifaux without anything world-shattering, excepting stuff like Kythera and Nythera, and even Kythera took a while to wind up while other stuff happened. 

I mean, it's just my opinion, but even PP has mostly shorts and they have a whole continent to work with. Fantasy/40k has novels, but they have a whole planet/galaxy to work with. Malifaux is...a region the size of a large U.S. state? There are few events that can be both isolated and big.

3 hours ago, silicon_dioxide said:

I really want to know if this game takes place during the Black Powder Wars, or in the same time period as in Malifaux.

From Aaron's interview to Sprites and Dice blog:

The Other Side is going to show the Earthside effects of the Breach, with the factions dealing with the aftermath of the Black Powder Wars and the new influx of soulstones coming back to earth through the Guild's influence.

Also he mentioned Rasputina and her Cult of December, which means that she already had became Ice Witch and took a position of the head of the Cult.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pyrflamme said:

I think the main thing about a novel is you really need to commit to a large event that underpins the novel, and that's not a small thing when you're trying to move the story forward at a restrained pace in a game where all the factions have to maintain their presence. Compare to the short bits they do where we get a sense of what goes on in Malifaux without anything world-shattering, excepting stuff like Kythera and Nythera, and even Kythera took a while to wind up while other stuff happened. 

I mean, it's just my opinion, but even PP has mostly shorts and they have a whole continent to work with. Fantasy/40k has novels, but they have a whole planet/galaxy to work with. Malifaux is...a region the size of a large U.S. state? There are few events that can be both isolated and big.

I don't entirely agree, just on the basis that good stories can happen on smaller "event" scales.  Tracking a Guildsmen through an investigation of a Murder and discovering something terrible (Like McMourning off the clock) could be just as "big" as an event that deals with the City getting a new Governor.. which is what I gathered is happening in the story by hanging around the Nythera event :P  (Something about Lucius being a big-meanie and big explosions, that's about what I got out of that without reading).

But certainly, having a huge expanse to work with lends itself to not creating in-congruent story elements, or throwing anything off of the intended course of their "game-plot" which is ever evolving.

1 minute ago, Vlad said:

From Aaron's interview to Sprites and Dice blog:

Also he mentioned Rasputina and her Cult of December, which means that she already had became Ice Witch and took a position of the head of the Cult.

Rasputina is a witch?!

Burn her at the stake!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leoneth said:

yes, you absolutely should.  The stories are fantastic and well written and really flesh out the characters and the world of malifaux in general.  However, as far as I know, all stories are set post-second breach era.  The only mention of the black powder wars that I know of is in the main rulebook where the timeline overview covers the wars existance and it's outcome.  I personally would love some pre-malifaux and pre-second breach stories, maybe in book form if the world and lore become popular enough to warrant publishing such a thing.

I strongly agree with this, maybe fan made selection of short stories?

9 hours ago, Leoneth said:

The only mention of the black powder wars that I know of is in the main rulebook where the timeline overview covers the wars existance and it's outcome.  I personally would love some pre-malifaux and pre-second breach stories, maybe in book form if the world and lore become popular enough to warrant publishing such a thing.

The Fated Almanac for Through the Breach has some more information on the Black Powder Wars, just to set the stage back on Earth a bit when they're talking about how Malifaux came to be. Some neat information on First Breach shenanigans, too, like the first Resurrectionist.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tawg said:

Nah bro, going though the Breach is how people die, or find out they aren't terribly important.

If she's important enough to have a name in The Other Side, it's entirely possible she'd just end up a mook in Malifaux.

Or at least, I am pretty sure that's how it works.  Not everyone becomes powerful awesome things when they cross, right?

Well it doesn't need to be every character, but where it fits. I can understand that not every person that can employ efficient tactics or lead some troops is fit for Malifaux. Though I guess fighting monsters and keeping them (hopefully) at bay, would at least be a good lesson on how to survive a couple of days, once you entered the breach.

3 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

Well it doesn't need to be every character, but where it fits. I can understand that not every person that can employ efficient tactics or lead some troups is fit for Malifaux. Though I guess fighting monsters and keeping them (hopefully) at bay, would at least be a good lesson on how to survive a couple of days, once you entered the breach.

I wonder if that giant robot in the background art has a pilot.   Because that would make it Mecha.. and then things are becoming reaaaalllyyy interesting.

At least for me.

I think Mecha-style robots is cool.  They could even have transforming Mecha, and then.. and then Power Rangers!

1 hour ago, Tawg said:

I wonder if that giant robot in the background art has a pilot.   Because that would make it Mecha.. and then things are becoming reaaaalllyyy interesting.

At least for me.

I think Mecha-style robots is cool.  They could even have transforming Mecha, and then.. and then Power Rangers!

I am more of a Kamen Rider fan... but I also like a good Mecha and if they are done right, I can see myself having one for the cabinet...

2 hours ago, CWSmythe said:

I am pretty sure that what I see in that picture is a cool looking character holding an axe rifle. How am I the first one to be excited about the axe rifle?

People around here tend to be picky, not excited.

We like to trod on Aaron's dreams of hyping the community, since he stomps on all of ours :(

(All that's a joke, obviously)

7 hours ago, DaRedWun said:

Just one thing: Please make this compatible with Malifaux.

If only so we can put all these chars with giant swords in an arena and go "Let them fight!"

You know the rules, when rules don't exist, just make them up.

Who says my Tyranids can't fight Cygnar in the Moon Princess's Dojo to claim the Super Ninja All-star trophy?

On 16.03.2016 г. at 10:08 PM, Kobayashi said:

gouraigan.png

They do, they already have claimed the trophy...

I have no idea where these character models are from but they damn straight epic.
As for Thrace, I'm not impressed. But then again after the Whiskey Golem became a crucial part of my life it has been harder and harder for me to get impressed...

1 hour ago, Eclipse said:

I have no idea where these character models are from but they damn straight epic.
As for Thrace, I'm not impressed. But then again after the Whiskey Golem became a crucial part of my life it has been harder and harder for me to get impressed...

They are from Shougeki Gouraigan a 13 Episode tokusatsu series, which also makes a Little bit fun of the concept and itself. Also it's recommended for mature audience, because in the first episode alone you see a lot of uncensored boobs, like it's nothing...

• Like 2

On 3/16/2016 at 6:30 AM, DaRedWun said:

Just one thing: Please make this compatible with Malifaux.

If only so we can put all these chars with giant swords in an arena and go "Let them fight!"

As cool as that would be, it would be a nightmare to balance. Perhaps these certain models could proxy between the games, but total crossover... I don't think it would ve practically possible.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi said:

They are from Shougeki Gouraigan a 13 Episode tokusatsu series, which also makes a Little bit fun of the concept and itself. Also it's recommended for mature audience, because in the first episode alone you see a lot of uncensored boobs, like it's nothing...

Welp. Now I am impressed.

• Like 2