Well first there is an official model for him and has been for a few years now. It isn't in plastic but it is official and might even be available new in blister.

Aside from that there were a couple threads about him when the rules for his M2e version were released and a smattering since but for the most part not a whole lot. He is likely best suited in a Zoraida crew where you can access some of the better Swampfiend models. Mah Tucket and Wong might also be options due to not being as heavily designed around specific characteristic synergy. Mah's Bayou Bushwhackers is where Hunting Screen can likely see the most synergy, too bad they aren't also Swampfiend models so they could be deployed with the Hexed Among You upgrade.

Unfortunately in the other Gremlin led crews he sort of suffers from not having any real synergy with the Gremlins and Pigs out side of providing Soft Cover via Hunting Screen (unless you make him more expensive by attaching the Cute Critters upgrade). His attack actions are both nice but in the faction there are cheaper options to accomplish those things and they typically come with access to Dumb Luck and Reckless as well as possession of either the Gremlin or Pig characteristic.

I am sure some one will come around and sing his praises but when you have a faction so heavily designed around synergy for two primary characteristics, those that don't possess one or do a whole lot to support them typically dont see a whole lot of play time especially when there are better options to choose from.

2 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

I am sure some one will come around and sing his praises

*clears throat*

McTavish is great

My opponents him hate

His gun is mighty

Even though he's not green but a whitey

Shooting into melee and cover

An involuntary violent makeover!

:D 

But I really do like him. He is tough and versatile and I don't like Rami much so that makes McTavish the only sniper I consider truly worthy. Also try him with Glowy! But I do agree that Zoraida and Wong make best use of him though Mah and Brewie can use him as well. Merris can provide Scheme Markers early on for his Gator to munch on.

He's also naturally great as a Merc hire for the Neverborn.

• Like 9

I think he has enough synergy in our faction outside of the two listed Masters. Gremlins are cheap and can drop scheme markers for him to eat. Outside of synergy, i find it can be good to have a bulky model like McTavish that doesn't need babysitting by something else. His value outside of his gun is that he is fully capable of dealing with threats himself. Going with Zoraida can yield a slight boost to synergy with her ability to bring in Swampfiends but if you're just doing that for his trigger, I think you're missing for the forest for the trees.

I think the two weaknesses of McTavish are 1 of course he's not a gremlin or pig so can't get slop hauled (but if you're really worried about this, quality mash liquor and fingers still exist) and 2 he's one of so few models that use corpse and scrap markers that I always forget to place them down ;-;

Thanks guys, great advice, I've got a proxy ready for him I'm on a Wong kick at the moment so I can't wait to try them out together. Math, you mentioned mah and brewy as good matches for McTavish, what is it about these masters that make him work? The synergies there are less clear to me than the ones with Wong.

43 minutes ago, jackbot said:

Thanks guys, great advice, I've got a proxy ready for him I'm on a Wong kick at the moment so I can't wait to try them out together. Math, you mentioned mah and brewy as good matches for McTavish, what is it about these masters that make him work? The synergies there are less clear to me than the ones with Wong.

Both of these masters play close to the enemy and be able to shoot into engagements is awesome (especially for Brewmaster who isn't particularly kill himself). Also, he is one of 2 models in faction that can take Mud Toss for condition removal. For example being able to remove slow can be clutch.

One of the downsides of McTavish is that he only has 2 ap so I'd imagine Mah's benefit is that she can push him around so he doesn't waste time walking, and hopefully buff his Ml to make him even scarier at close range.

For Brewie I'm not so sure because I don't really play him, but I figure it's obey and/or binge with a mask combined with a bubble of enemies who can't run away.

I agree that McTavish is maybe the best ranged option for Magical in a Wong list, but, I have trouble not giving it to Burt, who is essentially a 3 AP model (Reckless + Regen from Oooo Glowy), and pretty much never has to spend AP walking (Gracie w/Saddle), and can be virtually impossible to kill (you're much more likely to hit Gracie or Lenny through Slippery, and if you miss...well, it's all in the reflexes).

For McTavish, I think Zoraida, and Mah give him the most, in pseudo-AP, essentially, and Brewmaster, as well, as Dogmantra says, but his Obey is more resource intensive.

1 hour ago, D6Damager said:

Both of these masters play close to the enemy and be able to shoot into engagements is awesome (especially for Brewmaster who isn't particularly kill himself). Also, he is one of 2 models in faction that can take Mud Toss for condition removal. For example being able to remove slow can be clutch.

This. Being able to shoot into combat is absolutely golden. Doubly so if the enemy has Swill. Also, as Dogmantra mentions, both Masters have ways of moving or giving straight up AP to a model and McTavish is an expensive yet impressive model so giving him more AP is great. Oh, and do note that he is no slouch in melee either and his very impressive 3" Ml range on a 50mm base can be used to tie up models really effectively. If combined with Fingers' Chatty aura you can shut down really big areas from Interacts (hello Squatter's Rights).

I just took the really fat mindless zombie and repositioned his arms, sculpted some clothes on him with putty, put a gw kroot rifle in his hand and made a terrible scratch built gator, looks pretty bad but it's a legal proxy that will do until they release him in plastic

Neverborn (Zoraida) player stopping by for the latest news on McTavish here... I just ordered some Bayou Gators from my LGS and plan to make a McTavish out of one of them if he's not announced in the next two Monday Announcements.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2016 at 6:42 AM, Gose said:

no problem with the mini is in the easter sale :D

Popped into this thread to get some ideas for a McTavish proxy, your post reminded me that I made a large Easter sale order, low and behold I check my email and I ordered it!

Ty

• Like 1