Crew advice wanted

Merellin

It's me again.. Sorry about this, I thought I wanted to run Gremlins and was somewhat decided on the Ophelia crew but.. the more I think about it the more I hesitate.. So I looked arround some more and, I wanted some advice and opinons on a set of crew boxes, How hard they are to play, If you would recomend any of them for a complete beginner (I played Warhammer and Warhammer 40k for a long time, but not much else.. But I realy wanna get into Malifaux.)

So, I have 6 crew boxes I'm looking at, how would you rate these boxes in difficulty to play and learn, And how good they are for teaching a newbie about the game? I'm looking at The Thunder - Misaki Crew. Salvage and Logistics - Leveticus Crew. Dark Debts - Jakob Lynch Crew. Master of Puppets - Collodi Crew. The Bayou Boss - Som'er Crew, And, The Kin - Ophelia Crew. Gremlins seem fun, but I'm unsure of them.. Collodi's box looks awesome, Realy cool models, But it seems a bit difficult for a newbie..

I think the easiest to learn, yet most capable of tricks combination is Somer + Ophelia. I'd start there, you can always try different factions at a later stage! Gremlins are varied and fun, forgiving for a new player and are competitive. Just get a box of slop haulers, maybe merris lacroix and sammy lacroix...

I cant wait to try Malifaux, I just wish my friends could order a bit faster.. xD We are gonna order together, One crew box each to try the game, and the rules. I realy hope we will all like the game and keep playing cus all the models are awesome and it is so much cheeper then the other game we play...

Okay, one thing to consider is what is your playstyle. I had a similar issue when I started the game, as I picked Lilith for a very aggressive,  melee focused game.

The thing going is, Lilith is aggressive but not insanely so. She is fun and her nephilim are awesome, but I had to learn how to use her properly. On he other hand...

I picked up the Viks recently and I love how they play. Much violence,  such damage. They're not my favorite masters but I like how instinctive they feel for someone who likes to play aggressive like me.

What I am trying to say is that you should go with your heart: if you like collodi, go for it even though it might be hard at first,  it can be very rewarding to master something and you will be very proud of you self when you realize how much you've evolved.

Either that or pic a crew that doesn't look the way you like but plays the way you like. You will end up having a ball anyways.

I had Yan Lo as my first M2E master and he's been shelved for quite a while... I second picking a master based on your playing style that you also like the looks of though and you'll probably have more fun than just one based on looks alone.

One thing to keep in mind, if you have friends getting into the game that may be interested in the same crew/faction(s) as you (I know, fight the temptation to be a special snowflake, crews are rarely identical when played by different players) is also a possible way of off-loading a crew you may not like the style of, but your buddy may.

Well.. The problem is, I dont realy know what kind of playstyle i'd like.. In the other game I play I play both shooty heavy armies and melee heavy armies, Though I like the melee armies a bit more since they do more then stand still and shoot all game.. xD I love the looks of Collodi, But I think he seems realy complicated to start with.. So I's rather pick a simpler crew until I have learned the game atleast..

I honestly don't think Collodi is that difficult to pick up, but then he is the master that salvaged the game for m2e in terms of fun for me. The puppetmaster clicked for me.

The only problem with his box set though is a low Soul Stone count. This means you will need to buy additional models to really utilize him well. My last game with him used a total of two models that came in his box set. Vasilisa doesn't see play with me, usually in favor of my fifth AP/mobile grenade launcher/Lazarus.

If you do go with him, Lynch is utterly not a bad buy since the Illuminated are great with Collodi (seriously, I take them over Coryphee most of the time), his box set is rather affordable, and he is a fairly powerful master if you had to make tiers about it.

On 05/03/2016 at 6:17 AM, tmod said:

I think the easiest to learn, yet most capable of tricks combination is Somer + Ophelia. I'd start there, you can always try different factions at a later stage! Gremlins are varied and fun, forgiving for a new player and are competitive. Just get a box of slop haulers, maybe merris lacroix and sammy lacroix...

I'm not a fan of this approach. It just means you learn the game with something that doesn't suit your playstyle. Malifaux is a fairly complex game already, so you might as well start with the crew that matches your playstyle and learn with it. You'll lose games, but you'll be losing games when you start anyway.

Misaki is a very straightforward master, she's basically a highly mobile precision killing machine and... that's pretty much it. She doesn't have a lot of fancy tricks and crew interactions to learn, and if a high speed ninja slice'n'dice play style sounds like it's your thing then I'd say Misaki is a great place to start out. From there you can either branch her out into Outcasts, or Ten Thunders depending on your preference as she's dual faction. The rest of her box is pretty solid too. Ototo is a big beat stick that gets nastier when he's hurt, Torakage are pretty solid mobile minions, good at scoring schemes and chewing up enemy scheme runners, and you can get a little extra shenanigans out of them if you take the smoke & shadows upgrade on somebody in the crew (Probably Misaki if you're just using the starter box), that lets them place smoke markers to block line of sight, and possibly vanish to teleport about the board like good ninjas. Shang is her totem and I find pretty uninspiring for 3 stones. He gives you a bit better hand shaping by letting you draw an extra card and then discard one, and he can heal Misaki but the heal is pretty short ranged and I find often Misaki ends up leaving him behind since she's so fast.

Good follow up purchases for Misaki include Yamaziko, who shares the Last Blossom characteristic which gives some options. Oiran can be handy for scheme running and to get a lure available into the crew. Beyond that it depends on if you want to go Outcasts, or Ten Thunders.

Jakob Lynch is a bit more complex, he has some interesting card based tricks available to him and is rather more of a sit-back master than Misaki, though he can do some pretty good things with that pistol of his in a pinch, and his play for blood ability can be damned handy for finishing models off. His crew is fairly straightforward, Hungering Darkness is a giant monster that specializes in killing things pretty rapidly, and has a good few triggers to play around with. Illuminated are solid minions that are damned hard to kill, and very good in melee. The entire crew has some nice synergy around the brilliance condition, which they all have (Except Lynch), and have various ways of giving out to enemy models, which can allow things like + flips to attack vs them, and +2 damage to brilliant targets for the Illuminated. Hungering Darkness can also heal based on number of nearby models with brilliance which can make him a real pain to kill, especially since he's incorporeal as well. Beware powerful casting attacks though, they'll make short work of poor huggy. Lynch also opens you up options to expand into either Neverborn, or Ten Thunders.

Depleted and beckoners are good additions to a Lynch crew, adding more brilliance based options, and in the case of the Beckoners getting you a very solid, reliable lure into the crew.

Cant speak to the other crews, I'm pretty much only a Ten Thunders player at the moment, but hopefully that helps a bit.

Sounds like Misaki might be the crew for you then. She's very simple, run in and kill a chosen target, and she's very good at it too. Torakage have good def and wp stats, and can be tricky to shoot at thanks to face in the crowd. They can also just walk out of melee which can be handy. Ototo is nice and simple too. Just get him into melee and hit things. When he gets hurt, he hits things harder.

Nice and simple =^.^=

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm only gonna get one box to start with. Me and two friends are getting one crew box each, Plus the rules, To try out the game. And we are both a bit low on money right now, Combined with not knowing if we will like the game, We are sticking to a single crew box each in this first order.

11 minutes ago, Merellin said:

Well, I'm only gonna get one box to start with. Me and two friends are getting one crew box each, Plus the rules, To try out the game. And we are both a bit low on money right now, Combined with not knowing if we will like the game, We are sticking to a single crew box each in this first order.

Well, go with the one you like the looks of most then. You can't go wrong with either of these two. Slop Haulers should probably be next purchase either way...