Best Paints for Wyrd Models?

Mike Wallace

I've used Citadel, P3, Army Painter, Secret Weapon and all varieties of Vallejo without issues. Dropper bottles are best, but I don't avoid non-dropper brands if they have colours I want. In general, you're not going to have problems with any acrylic paints from companies that make them specifically for the hobby industry.

At the moment I've been having fun with Vallejo Air paints, as I suck at getting a good thinned consistency and these are pre thinned. While they're pre thinned for Airbrush use, they're fine to brush on as well.

6 hours ago, SnakeoilSage said:

I'm way too inexperienced to be trying my hand at airbrushing.

How about best paints per cost?

Note that he was saying he uses Airbrush paints with a brush. It's agood tip!

When it comed to price vs quality the answer is Army Painter Warpaints. They are pretty much the most out there, and as good or better than most alternatives. Rather small range if you're looking for something very specific is the major downside. Washes are very good, but stay away from the dipping stuff, and I find their coloured primers unnecessary gimmick, but ithers like them...

4 minutes ago, tmod said:

Note that he was saying he uses Airbrush paints with a brush. It's agood tip!

When it comed to price vs quality the answer is Army Painter Warpaints. They are pretty much the most out there, and as good or better than most alternatives. Rather small range if you're looking for something very specific is the major downside. Washes are very good, but stay away from the dipping stuff, and I find their coloured primers unnecessary gimmick, but ithers like them...

Oh yeah, my bad. I hadn't considered that as an option.

Thanks for the tips! 

• Like 1

I started out with Citadel and pretty much stayed with them ever since. Great range of colors and easy to use with their Base/Layer/... system. I guess if I were to start out with tabletops again, I would probably go Vallejo simply because some of the best painters seem to prefer them; some even mix colors from different manufacturers. However, GW offers some really great "technical" colors, like "Blood for the Blood God" and that thing that makes cracked-earth-desert-like bases... these are really great and I can highly recommend them.

The reason I mix manufacturers is because different brands have different strengths. I use Army Painter and Secret Weapon washes and inks because I find they're the best. I moved from Citadel to Vallejo and P3 after their latest range redo, as I got tired if their colour tones changing and Vallejo have a huge range colour matched to Citadels old ranges. P3 make the best yellows and oranges I've used - great pigments.

I like GWs technical paints but the only one I use is Blood for the Blood God, as it's better in non ventilated areas than Tamiya Clear Red.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2016 at 11:23 AM, SnakeoilSage said:

Hm. I wonder if composing some kind of list of specific paint shades from each brand would make for a good guide for painters?

A bit late to the conversation, but I thought this might be useful to someone. Used this chart a number of times since I mainly use Reaper and Vallejo paints.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1