Painters Challenge 2016 - MARCH

Vaiuri

Here's work in progress on my March entry.  I now have two mini's I am working on in parallel with this one as well.  I think I am a bit over half done, with some of the details done but lots of work remaining on the main textures.  Man, there are a lot of different textures going on in this mini---it's a bit intimidating for a newb like me.  The wounds are very well sculpted, and they are holding paint in nice ways to allow the structure to come out---like the goat's neck vertebrae. 

rogue_necro_wip.thumb.jpg.9d652a1b6145de

PS:  Come on, AgrilusHunter---we all want to see the Valedictorian!

• Like 2

Well, I was starting the temple arch on my Dawn Serpent and the whole thing fell apart dramatically, likely due to the crummy glue I had used. I am still hoping to have it fixed and completed by the end of the month, and will still have my pledge completed one way or the other, but I am afraid I may even have to purchase another. It's pretty jacked up after meeting my hardwood floor. 

All of that is to say, I may not have the Dawn Serpent finished this month, but will otherwise complete my pledge and perhaps move that project to next month.

14 hours ago, Viruk said:

Teddy and the Widow are ready and my minimal plan for the month of March is fulfilled. I'll try to paint some more, new Tuco is up next.

teddy_widow_01.jpg

teddy_widow_02.jpg

These are totally awesome!! Love all the neverborn you've got done. With an eye on the iron painter being pretty in pink this round, What colours/paints did you use for the widow weaver?

• Like 1

Nothing really fancy about the color choice. I started with P3 Murderous Magenta mixed with some black and then gradually highlighted it without black and started adding small amounts Citadel's Emperor's Children for each successive highlight, mixing in some white along the way.

• Like 2

After a two-week drought I finally managed to make some good progress;

2016-03-20%2011.23.36_zpshqogcshs.jpg

With a bit of luck, I'll get the Shadow Effigy done, but I'm not in a rush - this already puts me above 30SS for the month and very, very close to finishing all the released minis for Ten Thunders. :)

• Like 4

On 12 mars 2016 at 5:59 PM, Luchs said:

thx. the blood is done very easy:

mix 50:50 tamiya clear red : black wash (http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/23911-1-show-tamiya_clear_x-27_rot.html

for the darker blood. Pure clear red for the normal blood.

"splatter-effect": dip a big brush into clear red and blow the colour directly on the mini.

Hey Luchs,

I actually asked because we cannot find Tamiya x27 in Chile and I was wondering if there is a good alternative. I do have a pot of GW Blood for the Blood God. What is your opinion about the GW tech paint compared to Tamiya? Do you guys have any other idea on how to paint blood? I saw many tutorials on Tamiya x27 on the web. I would love getting similar effects.

1 minute ago, TedThunders said:

Please forgive my ignorance, I typically just lurk here, but is there a sort-of cap to the size/amount of pictures that applies to the thread? I am trying to post a pic, but it is advising that I can only upload files of very small size this time. Thanks!

Maybe you're having the same problem I had. Several recommended me to use Photobucket:

http://s1027.photobucket.com

You upload a picture to the website and then they give you a link you can copy and paste here. This allows you not to depend on the restrictions of this excellent and awesome forum :) 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Hey Luchs,

I actually asked because we cannot find Tamiya x27 in Chile and I was wondering if there is a good alternative. I do have a pot of GW Blood for the Blood God. What is your opinion about the GW tech paint compared to Tamiya? Do you guys have any other idea on how to paint blood? I saw many tutorials on Tamiya x27 on the web. I would love getting similar effects.

You can use acrylic based inks to paint blood as well.  You can use pre-mixed inks or you can just buy ink in dropper bottles from an art store and mix them into some clear acrylic medium.  Pure red doesn't quite look right.  You might mix some red into some brown or sepia colored ink.  Maybe a small bit of blue or purple might work too.  HCO has a pretty good tutorial here:  http://handcannononline.com/blog/2012/04/12/painting-blood-with-p3-inks/

• Like 1

I swear I'll get used to this. Last one before final highlights, cleanup, and the big reveal. Great work, everybody!

IMG_20160324_130047170.jpg

Edit: Finally got the Photobucket thing working, thanks again for the help! I see now where some more washes can be used on these guys too, funny how pics can do that. Overall, though, I am delighted with them. Really hoping to advance my skills over the course of the challenge. It seems like a perfect way of looking back at your own improvements over time.

• Like 5

On 5 mars 2016 at 3:03 PM, AgrilusHunter said:

Here's my March entry. She's one of my favorite models and I gave a lot of thought to basing her in a way that I felt was dynamic and fun. I am going to paint her with the street lamp on so her back half will be fully lit and her front half will be in some degree of shadow. I want her wings to resemble bat wing membranes with a light held behind them. Lofty goals considering my rudimentary painting skills ... I expect several restarts will be necessary. If anyone has suggestions on color pallets and painting techniques to achieve my goals I would love to hear them!

What about the Valedictorian? Any progress on this one? :) I'm really curious about how it turned out.