Painters Challenge 2016 - MARCH

Vaiuri

Here's my March entry. She's one of my favorite models and I gave a lot of thought to basing her in a way that I felt was dynamic and fun. I am going to paint her with the street lamp on so her back half will be fully lit and her front half will be in some degree of shadow. I want her wings to resemble bat wing membranes with a light held behind them. Lofty goals considering my rudimentary painting skills ... I expect several restarts will be necessary. If anyone has suggestions on color pallets and painting techniques to achieve my goals I would love to hear them!

ValedictorianMarchPainting2016.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Viruk said:I've also decided to use bigger contrasts on her clothes, which is not what I normally do.

Hi Viruk. Still in my bad Polish: yakshemash? Strong contrasts might not be what you normally do, but this one is turning amazing. I cant wait the end if the month to see the final version!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TedThunders said:

Calling Shenlong done. More to come!

Excellent. I love it! I don't know if it is the picture, but the belt seems too black to me. Maybe some blueish black/grey to highlight it? The blue would contrast with the orange of the trousers maybe.

9 hours ago, Franchute said:

Excellent. I love it! I don't know if it is the picture, but the belt seems too black to me. Maybe some blueish black/grey to highlight it? The blue would contrast with the orange of the trousers maybe.

Thank you very much! It is a little bit the picture and a little bit a lack of highlights. I've been experimenting with Reaper paint's Grey Liner, which is a very nice matte dark grey. That lets me wash some details in, but I definitely agree some more highlighting would make it pop, and the blue sounds great. Black is still a paint I struggle with, I have to admit. 

That said, one of the things I am really looking forward to is seeing how everyone, and of course myself, further develops their skills and techniques over the course of the challenge. Sometimes having a little pressure on is the only way I can stay in the groove, and I am excited to see what a solid year of regular practice can do. I think we'll all be awfully proud of ourselves after this.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Buntman said:

Just started Datsue Ba and Seishin for my Yan Lo team. I want to make Seishin opalescent using Vallejo Metal medium but I'm not quite sure about the result. 

I've used pearl and iridescent mediums in the past for ghosts and spirits and found them quite tricky to handle.  Sometimes I've found them to be too intense when going straight onto a model, so I've tried washes and mixing them with other paints to various effect.  I'll be interested to see how you get on with the metal medium.

14 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Amazing pics! How do you do the blood?

thx. the blood is done very easy:

mix 50:50 tamiya clear red : black wash (http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/23911-1-show-tamiya_clear_x-27_rot.html

for the darker blood. Pure clear red for the normal blood.

"splatter-effect": dip a big brush into clear red and blow the colour directly on the mini.

• Like 2