Greetings!

Mike Wallace

I am 100% new to Wyrd, but Malifaux instantly hooked me in. This is my kind of setting and genre mix. I'm trying to hook my local gamers too, but I have a problem to face. Who do I pick as my starting gang? I've been going over all the available characters but I've yet to get my hands on the rulebook (in the mail, hopefully) so I don't know all the specifics just yet.

My typical Wargaming approach is a melee-oriented, hard-as-nails group that either walks or charges through damage. I like to beat opponents into submission and wear them down. I like big, tough models that deal as much damage as they take. I prefer my magic to buff/debuff rather than damage directly, and I don't care much for firepower if I can get away with it. I've seen suggestions that the Resurrectionists field undead that are tough but slow, but I'm open to any suggestions the forums have.

Thanks, and it's nice to meet you all. :)

First of all, welcome to malifaux - try not to get killed straight away... :P

Whilst the Ressers are an obvious choice based on your preferences, I'm going to suggest taking a look at the Arcanists.

They do big and tough VERY well, they have one of the scariest melee models in the entire game (Howard Langston), and whilst they DO have blasty magic, they also have quite a lot of buff/debuff/movement oriented stuff as well.

Plus they smell *much* better than a bunch of decaying dead people!

*P.S. I'll go into more detail if you wan, but thought a sshort post would be more helpful to start with :P *

Well Ressers quite literally are the tough-as-nails (to everything that doesn't ignore their standard defenses) that shamble through the fire.

Plus, any that die tend to get right back up since Ressers have some of the best summoner masters in the game.

One thing that makes for a much more difficult choice is that once you get well and truly hooked many players branch out from the dual-faction masters that open up more hiring options when you justify to yourself "Well I already have 20 soulstones for that faction if I get this master...".

I'm a horrid one to ask for what to start with though. I have recently made the jump and now have all factions playable soon and far more masters than I currently play across the spectrum. Perhaps the easiest thing to ask yourself is aesthetically what faction holds the most appealing crew choices for you, and then we can tailor to your playstyle (most factions can do the juggernaut approach imo). The game balance being what it is, I find going by aesthetics first to be pretty rewarding. Then again I absolutely loathed my first M2E master (Yan Blow), but didn't let him stop me from finding my other favorite masters.

Edit: Also to note, by having purchased Yan Lo's theme components (the ancestors) made it easier to justify jumping into Ten Thunders with Jakob Lynch and Shen Long since I already then had Chiaki, Yin, Toshiro, and Izamu for crew options. Plus Toshiro summons Ashigaru, so literally only Yan is unused atm. :I

That's actually pretty encouraging to know. Of course it doesn't shorten my list any, but that's a good thing.

Guild: Sonia, Lady Justice

Resurrectionists: McMourning, Nicodem

Neverborn: Lucius, Jakob Lynch

Arcanists: Marcus, Ramos

Outcasts: Leveticus, Von Shill

Ten Thunders: Mei Feng, Misaki

Gremlins: Som'er Teeth, Ulix (when he comes out)

2 minutes ago, SnakeoilSage said:

Now can you build crews with models from both factions at once, or is it "either or?"

It's either or.... ish.  You declare a faction and you're limited to models from the faction, but a lot of masters (not just dual faction masters) have rules that let you hire specific models from other factions.

• Like 1

Sort of either or. You declare faction, and that sets which models you hire for the game. So if you are playing McMorning and you declare Guild, you can hire any guild model, but you can't hire any Resser models. Now the sort of comes in because certain masters have abilities which let them hire models from other factions. Some are open ended like Levi being potentially able to hire any Construct, or any undead. Some are limited like only being able to hire models with a certain characteristic like Yan Lo's ability to hire up to Four models with the retainer characteristic. And some are limited to specific models. These abilities which expand hiring can be located on the Model's card, as is the case for Mei Feng, or you might need to purchase and attach an upgrade. In McMorning's case for example, if you don't purchase the On The Clock upgrade, you can't hire anything but Guild Models. If you do you can hire the Zombie Chihuahua, Sebastian, and Nurses, but only those models from ressers. 

As a note a dual faction model also can only buy and attach upgrades from the declared faction. So McMorning who has declared guild cannot attach the Moonlighting upgrade, even though it has restriction McMorning, because it is a Resser only upgrade, and that isn't the faction declared.

Does that help?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SnakeoilSage said:

That's actually pretty encouraging to know. Of course it doesn't shorten my list any, but that's a good thing.

Guild: Sonia, Lady Justice

Resurrectionists: McMourning, Nicodem

Neverborn: Lucius, Jakob Lynch

Arcanists: Marcus, Ramos

Outcasts: Leveticus, Von Shill

Ten Thunders: Mei Feng, Misaki

Gremlins: Som'er Teeth, Ulix (when he comes out)

Just eyeballing it for a beginner's sake...

If you want to keep the pricing manageable, Nicodem and Leveticus will be more on the expensive side for their better options.

If you want to remove complexity, then Lucius should be discarded.

Ramos has a great box out of the gate with it's SS count, but I'm not sure if I'd say it's your playstyle but it's dang close. Not much debuffing unless you run the swarms as individual spiders.

Mei Feng is pretty solidly able to walk (with her crew) into some withering fire and does give you some nice support with Kang and rail crew. Joss from Ramos's crew also provides extra scrap to jump to.

Those two would be the boxes I'd get if you had to choose two. It gives you an option to go into Ten Thunders (Mei Feng to Lynch/Misaki) and provides some solid support in the Arcanist department with a caster/summoner and a melee master. Ramos is one of the top master in the game and Joss/Langston/Kang are very solid picks for many masters.

• Like 3

That's a good observation.  Of the masters listed, Mei Fang/Ramos are a great pair that do the "durable melee" thing well and have pretty diverse playstyles.  If you like the undead aesthetic though, Resser McMourning will flood the table with big lumps of slow, regenerating guys that are a huge pain to kill as can Nicodem, whose main downside is that he can summon a variety of things you'll probably want to buy for him.  Both fulfill your criteria well among your list; I think its just a matter of what flavor you prefer.

• Like 2