New TT player looking to share or hear experienced players opinions

Jugan0ght

So i have recently joined the Ten thunders after a spell with the Neverborn and the Arcanists. 

I can see that there are conversations for different factions (see Arcanists) that are pinned and discuss masters individually do what there strengths are and their weaknesses and are always at the top of the page when someone looks. 

There are a lot of different conversations on the forums for lets say Shen long but they are all spread out so my hope is to start a thread where we can discuss certain masters in detail.

I think this would be useful as it will make it easier for a new Ten thunder player or new player in general to look at the forum and think right that is the one for me. 

This doesn't have to be the pinned post but I will add some ideas and experiences as and they come up.

So to start it off, I have only recently swapped to Ten thunders and I had my first game last week. Just looking at the books and cards you can see that Ten thunders have many movement tricks and seem to use speed rather then heavy armoured forces. 

My first game was with Shen long, I found with him and Sensei Yu schemes can be completed very easily, but this could have been the lack of knowledge from my opponent about what my crew was going to do. 

The first opening moved involved a peasant dropping a scheme marker and the Shadow effigy using complete the Mission on a Monk of the Wandering River. Shen Long then pushed him forward along with the scheme marker to the middle of the board where the monk used leap to cross the line drop a scheme marker and drop another one due to complete the mission, this meant that my first scheme was ready to go from turn one (close deployment) and Search the ruins was complete.

Shen long is obviously someone who takes time to get used to, but the above tactic just shows how quickly Shen long can move markers, more so then any other masters that I have played.

Fingers crossed we can get some crew combinations others could use and tactics people can use.

• Like 1

Aside from pullmyfinger, I don't really know of any in depth 10t tacticas. I have a bit of experience with the faction, and I like to think I know a lot about Shenlong, but my play style is limited too much to write one.

I play Shenlong and Yu as... well, not quite pacifists, but as a very noncombat crew. Tengu, brothers, Yin, and monks of low and wandering rivers are frequent hires. I might bring Izamu or a sniper, but not much combat focused usually makes my Shenlong crews. I find that a lot of his power comes from being able to score 10 points without having to muck about with opposed duels that you might lose. Just push your crew around, let Yin and Shenlong with Low River Style lock down opposing models, and you'll be fine.

A lot of people have had better use of High River Style (and the monks) than I have, and a lot of people use Shenlong and Sensei Yu to maximize their crew's damage potential, so they surely have those capabilities, but I'm not very well versed in that method of play.

• Like 1

Two points: I have strictly been playing Neverborn for the past 4 months. I'm about to start back in on Shenlong, but I have no experience with him in GG2016 yet; and also, the nice thing about Shenlong and Yu is that, you know, if they have to fight, they're pretty good at it. Wandering River Style gives fast to Izamu, Yu gives Slow to Lady J, Shenlong can beat down or heal up his team with Low River... With Focus and Fast, even brothers and Yin can dish out a hurt. I just look at this as plan B or even C.

When Shenlong does attack, though, I greatly prefer Fermented River to High. You'll almost always be on a positive damage flip and that's been better for finishing fights in my experience.

• Like 2

Haven't played Shenlong in ages, but I used to run him as an assassin against henchmen and masters. With his Chakra Point and Fermented River Style it is quite easy to dish out a severe hit which cannot be reduced. Yu was the constant back up, removing enemies with his pushes or healing Shenlong 2-8 wounds. 

I can second the playstyle tomjoad is describing. Shenlong can no doubt be played in a fairly non-violent fashion. Putting enemies in places where they don't want to be while also debuffing them. While he is doing that a Samurai or Sniper can shoot things from his buffs and synergies. So I think that there is a possible to be struck. 

• Like 1

I've just started to experiment with Shen a bit, and I think he is easily becoming my go to master for interference and reconnoiter, though he is so versatile that there is not a strat that I wouldn't strongly consider him for.  He is nice as a farily durable master that can buff your crew with fast and focus and debuff opposing crews with slow and positioning tricks; switch remarkably between support master, incidental schemer, tarpit, and combat master/AOE damage dealer, and just generally get himself and your crew where they need to be fast for scoring points.

A build that I've been trying has involved the vaunted sniper squad with Toshiro with command the graves and a peasant.  I'll actually start the game with no upgrades on Shen and Promising Disciple on Senseii Yu.  Shen's first 0 will be the peasant interaction for a scheme and another peasant.  The non-summoned peasant will then sac for Shen to get Wandering River Style.  Toshiro will use the corpse to summon an Ashigaru and the scheme that was dropped to give the snipers and any other minions around him free focus.  The threat of snipers able to then take 2 focused shots can severely limit my opponent's piece development and between Shen and Senseii Yu, the world just becomes an oyster for getting models and schemes where they need to be.  I generally try to take full stones here to support Toshiro's summoning and keep my henchmen and masters alive if things go south.

4 hours ago, Yvarre said:

...I'll actually start the game with no upgrades on Shen and Promising Disciple on Senseii Yu.  Shen's first 0 will be the peasant interaction for a scheme and another peasant.  The non-summoned peasant will then sac for Shen to get Wandering River Style.  Toshiro will use the corpse to summon an Ashigaru and the scheme that was dropped to give the snipers and any other minions around him free focus.  

The sniper squad can be brutal. My luck with them is unbelievable, in that you would not believe it if I told you how often my snipers miss their focus shots, or BJ the damage, so I am gun shy with them now.

Also, remember that Shenlong has to have an upgrade to discard if he wants to then attach one, so he MUST have a limited upgrade at all times. Also, you don't get a corpse marker for sacrificing a model, only for killing it. Have Toshiro kill the peasant and you do get the ashigaru, but then no Sacrifice for Shenlong. It's a tough choice to make sometimes.

This is all new bits that i am picking up. I have now just finished my 3rd game with Shen Long and I cannot even explain how many different ways I see Shen Long being used.

My first experience with a Samurai - They hit, I hit every shot, which shouldn't be a surprise as they receive a triple +++ to attack even with a shoot 5 your opponent is likely to want/need to cheat in which I took as a win over the minimum damage 2 which seemed to be the end result of the majority of shots.

They also have armour 2 which is great especially when someone doesn't expect such heavy resistance 

Archers again my first experience I feel like I need to play around with these alot more with a range of 12 they seem quite limited but being able to ignore randomising into combat was a god send. My first game using these (last night) I sacrificed the archer by pushing him with Sensei Yu and Wondering River Style so that the archer took markers with him when he went and managed to get me Set up. Great 3 points on turn 2. I love that move, so simple to do.

Shen Long I am still debating on, I previously used Pandora on a reg basis so not charging my master about is causing some mishaps mid game when I realise what i am doing. I did manage to weaken and finish off some minions with him though.

On 24.02.2016 г. at 8:37 PM, Yvarre said:

I've just started to experiment with Shen a bit, and I think he is easily becoming my go to master for interference and reconnoiter, though he is so versatile that there is not a strat that I wouldn't strongly consider him for.  He is nice as a farily durable master that can buff your crew with fast and focus and debuff opposing crews with slow and positioning tricks; switch remarkably between support master, incidental schemer, tarpit, and combat master/AOE damage dealer, and just generally get himself and your crew where they need to be fast for scoring points.

A build that I've been trying has involved the vaunted sniper squad with Toshiro with command the graves and a peasant.  I'll actually start the game with no upgrades on Shen and Promising Disciple on Senseii Yu.  Shen's first 0 will be the peasant interaction for a scheme and another peasant.  The non-summoned peasant will then sac for Shen to get Wandering River Style.  Toshiro will use the corpse to summon an Ashigaru and the scheme that was dropped to give the snipers and any other minions around him free focus.  The threat of snipers able to then take 2 focused shots can severely limit my opponent's piece development and between Shen and Senseii Yu, the world just becomes an oyster for getting models and schemes where they need to be.  I generally try to take full stones here to support Toshiro's summoning and keep my henchmen and masters alive if things go south.

When I first heard this strategy, I thought it was pretty sweet. Later, when Book 3 got out it got me thinking that the ridiculous synergy can be brought even further. In addition to Toshiro, Sniper and Peasants take Obsidian Oni and the Dawn Serpent as well. Start with Peasant I, start of game make it Interact >> Scheme marker + summon Peasant II (Slow). A.) Start with the Slow Peasant II, focus (0), give Shenlong Focus for 1. B.) Activate Toshiro, discard the scheme marker to give friendly minions Focus, kill the Peasant for (1) and summon an Ashigaru for the other (1). C.), D.) Shoot with the two snipers with focus, up to twice (remember the (0) focus aura on Shenlong). E.) Focus, move, Provide Focus to Shenlong with Peasant I. F.) Ashigaru activates, it is slow and walks or something. G.) Shenlong can (0) Focus + some other condition for a total of 3xFocus. Now Mighty Gustx3 with Focus for Fast on the Dawn Serpent and two Obsidian Oni. H.) The Dawn Serpent might already have focus from Toshiro. It can (0) Focus, move, move, shoot with focus to give Burning. I.), J.) The Obsidian Oni might already have focus from Toshiro as well and/or (0) focus. They are fast, so walk, walk, Heavenly Fire with +to damage and drop a scrap marker or two from the attacks.
This gives you a total of 9 activations, three solid models up the board and potentially some very dead enemy models that might drop corpse or scrap markers of their own all on the first turn. Now for the second turn you can finally Gust Toshiro and move Shenlong himself, OR Gust the Snipers to take them closer to the battlefield if necessary. Also you have scrap markers available so you can start making Komainu to diversify your forces as well. Alternatively you could drop one of the Oni in favor of Shadow Effigy. IF you push/Fast the effigy it could allow up to three minions to drop a scheme marker at base contact EoA 1st turn + 1 more 2nd turn = 4 markers for ALitS for a mighty Gust beginning of Turn 2. Boom!

• Like 5

This is a work of art :lol::lol::lol:. Very detailed I really appreciate it as i was about to go put some more detail on my earlier push about how to achieve it (I'm doing this from my work desk) 

its exactly the type of advice I would like to gather together all in one place. I will keep adding things as i discover them which alot of players might fine basic but will hopefully help some people or create some experimentation to happen.

I keep reading about Toshiro he is someone i am def going to have to invest into

59 minutes ago, Jugan0ght said:

This is a work of art :lol::lol::lol:. Very detailed I really appreciate it as i was about to go put some more detail on my earlier push about how to achieve it (I'm doing this from my work desk) 

its exactly the type of advice I would like to gather together all in one place. I will keep adding things as i discover them which alot of players might fine basic but will hopefully help some people or create some experimentation to happen.

I keep reading about Toshiro he is someone i am def going to have to invest into

Rather than having to invest into a model because it is powerful or can be used in powerful interactions, simply invest into things you enjoy thematically and mechanically. For example, I had McGabe for a while. I won games with: McGabe gives reactivate to Luna with Black Powder, then throws her the Badge of Speed and Glowing Sabre = 2x4 = 8"push. Now she is Wk7 Nimble with Reactivate and can Deliver the Message on the first turn, or win another scheme by herself on the final one. Or doing the same with the Dawn Serpent, a favourite model of mine. In the end I decided to sell him to a friend as I didn't enjoy playing McGabe - he didn't fit my fluffy perception of the faction, while at the same time Shenlong takes the place of ultimate support/jack of all trades master. A model I put quite some effort into figuring out what to do with (and had a blast with it meanwhile) is Ototo. He is rather overpriced, but has a number of very fun and potentially powerful rules. I also enjoy and I really want to learn to use Fuhatsu, who pretty much sucks, as well as Oiran (they kinda do, too). At first I thought that Ten Thunders are a faction of speed-ish generalists with the occasional heavily armored guy. This might have been influenced by the fact that I played Lynch (who can run well with everything) and Misaki (who prefers self-sufficient models). Now I know there is much more depth to the faction as well as a number or either obvious or subtle synergies to explore (or with the above examples of builds - exploit. Ooops :( ). This brings throngs of YOLO joy to my heart, if only I had one.

• Like 1

Do you have any experience with using Monks? I like the idea as well of a fluffy list and the number of different monks I think could look amazing on the table and individually they all look like they could work well I especially like the new Wandering River monks, with Butterfly jump a new ability from wave 3. It allows for a card to be discard once they are targeted with a non MI attack and lets them push 3 inches and the attack is then taken at there new location (which could be out of site or could be in the middle of combat to cause randomising) added this bit just incase no one had seen there cards.

I think a list with monks of the High River, Low River and Wandering River monks will really look great if they were all painted in theme. 

I will began practising with all the monks minus the low river monks so far

41 minutes ago, Jugan0ght said:

Do you have any experience with using Monks? I like the idea as well of a fluffy list and the number of different monks I think could look amazing on the table and individually they all look like they could work well I especially like the new Wandering River monks, with Butterfly jump a new ability from wave 3. It allows for a card to be discard once they are targeted with a non MI attack and lets them push 3 inches and the attack is then taken at there new location (which could be out of site or could be in the middle of combat to cause randomising) added this bit just incase no one had seen there cards.

I think a list with monks of the High River, Low River and Wandering River monks will really look great if they were all painted in theme. 

Wandering River Monks are great, yet pricey runners. More or less ninja-Silurids. 7" Leap is gold. 

High River Monks... Might be ok with the Emissary since it can lower defense on stuff that is burning. They are ok otherwise, but for 5ss you will get a TTB (which are better) and for 7ss you will get a Wandering Monk (which are better). If you want a mid-tier beater, for 7ss you got The Illuminated, for 5ss you got Railworkers and Komainu. They are simply stuck in the middle. 

Low River Monks. I am not a fan since I prefer models that can kill stuff. If you want condition removal Chiaki or Johan are way better choices. 4ss filler, Shadow Effigy or I would even say the very underrated Wastrel.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2016 at 1:37 PM, Yvarre said:

A build that I've been trying has involved the vaunted sniper squad with Toshiro with command the graves and a peasant.  I'll actually start the game with no upgrades on Shen and Promising Disciple on Senseii Yu.  Shen's first 0 will be the peasant interaction for a scheme and another peasant.  The non-summoned peasant will then sac for Shen to get Wandering River Style. 

**This doesn't work. Shen Long needs to have an upgrade attached to use "Monk of Many Styles."  The last clause of the ability says "This model may discard a Limited Upgrade it has attached to attach the chosen upgrade." No discarding, no attaching. See this thread for discussion.** 

Toshiro will use the corpse to summon an Ashigaru

***Also doesn't work. Because the Peasant is sacrificed, it doesn't drop a corpse marker. You would need to kill the peasant, usually with Toshiro, to get a corpse, and use it for an Ashigaru. ***

18 hours ago, Jugan0ght said:

I have only played with High and Low River monks for now, since the other two aren't out in plastic yet. Might convert a HR one to a Wandering River Monk/Ten Thunders Brother on demand.
From what I could see, the Wandering River monks are similar to Silurids, but have a decent push with Ca6 that could disrupt enemy positioning, or push to disengage your own models that want to shoot. Pricey, but useful. Required some finesse to be used best.
Fermented River is strictly better in a Brewmaster crew, where you can get loads of poison on them, otherwise they take way too many resources and catering. Don't take them unless going for a fluffy list. If you -do- take them, pay careful attention to their poison. Try to get a hang on when to stack poison up to +2/+3 so you can give have a higher Df and pull out a single stronger punch if necessary. Try to learn when to try and stack Poison+4 so you can Reactivate them if you need the extra activation or APs.
High River Monks were the model I wanted to see receive an upgrade when the Wyrd poll for Wave 4 came. They can dish out some Burning, but their base damage is like an Oiran's... They love to charge - with a distance of 6 with an engagement of 1" - so they can make an additional attack - for a card. They give Burning+2 on disengaging strikes, but it would be easier for most models to just kill them with Df6, Wd6. At least they have (0) Wander the Earth to push 2" to make them a little more versatile, as well as Ruthless, which is amazing. They COULD get ugly with McGabe's Saber, but we are going for a theme list here, right? If you take them, keep them in the second line, charge with heavier models first, try to go for weak models (scheme runners). Therefore they are useful as flankers. If the opponent has decent condition removal, they are pretty weak. With Shenlong you might find it easier to (0) Focus+2(!) > Charge + discard > 2 attacks + 1 attack (Focusx2). Not as bad.
Low River Monks pretty much suck. They ARE however immune to conditions that many enemies spread, and can remove such themselves. Filler for basic scheme runners and occasionally very irritating for crews like Sonnia, McMourning, Kaeris. Do keep in mind that even if they utilize their Defensive for no card ability they might fold quickly from an assault. Try to keep them in cover, Defensive and Focused to keep enemy pieces in place.
Both High and Low Monks can benefit from the Shadow Emissary. The Burning from the former could reduce enemy Df, while the latter could receive 1 Dmg less with Defensive on. Naturally, you have to choose between the two effects. AND the Emissary is still thematic as Shenlong is not only a monk, but also the reincarnation of the Dawn Dragon ;)
The way I see Shenlong when playing with Monks is being more of a pacifist - start with Wandering River and push your models upfield, maybe with Wandering River Monks as well. Keep your models in cover/out of LoS. If you took Wandering Monks, use them as flankers. Leap with them and complete schemes as quickly as possible, then push away enemy flankers/snipers/etc. away to keep safe. Don't leave them a straight line to charge you and if they shoot you can push to get out of LoS. If you didn't take Wandering ones, High River will be flankers. They are slower, but have the potential to kill most flanker models eaiser and force the enemy to split their forces to deal with the Monk and reinforce the flank. If you took Wandering, High River are the second line chargers. Get your murderous model or two in the enemy midst and kill as much as possible before it dies, then charge with High River later and expect them to fully and utterly die as soon as another model looks them. Same with Low River. If the enemy relies on some condition that buffs their team, sneak (behind cover!) towards the models they buff and engage them. Might not work against models like Cerberus or say, Howard Langstron though, so choose your targets. Removing Poison from a Flesh Construct for example is stellar. On the other hand, if the enemies spread a harmful condition, keep a Low River close to your key, costlier models to clear them if necessary. Block charge lanes with them, keep hold of markers. Shenlong can now move from support to assassination with either High River (and have extra engagement range) or with Fermented River style (all the +flips are belong to him). Alternatively, with Shenlong and Sensei Yu you could keep bouncing the enemy models out of LoS and stay in cover, the ultimate pacifist. If you need something dead, drag it near and Slow it, then use Chakra blocking for example to weaken it and chip away health.
If you take Fermented River, make Peasant Provide for the Fermented Temple (+Poison). Control activations when needed, don't hesitate to run them into weaker enemies (unless the opponent will benefit from the Corpse markers :P). Expect them to die as easily and as quickly asany other monks so far :P
Finally, keep in mind that most of this is theoretical as I have only played Shenlong twice so far (not enough time). Take it with a grain of salt and try to get your own feel.
P.S. I am FINALLY going to see a demonstration of the Shaolin monks' Kung-Fu for the first time in my life tonight. YEAHH!

• Like 1

How did the Shaolin Monks go? I have seen them before very impressive, the kids especially when they do the splits and fall down had my closing my eyes every time :lol:

I do like the idea of the High river monks but they do seem to fold remarkably quick. i will keep practising with them, but I may need need to leave them out of any competitive play.

As to the Wandering River Monk I have used the Monk of High River who is charging with the spear with his cloak hanging around him i think it looks more like a Wind monk then the others, makes an excellent proxy

On 2/24/2016 at 6:34 PM, tomjoad said:

Also, remember that Shenlong has to have an upgrade to discard if he wants to then attach one, so he MUST have a limited upgrade at all times. Also, you don't get a corpse marker for sacrificing a model, only for killing it. Have Toshiro kill the peasant and you do get the ashigaru, but then no Sacrifice for Shenlong. It's a tough choice to make sometimes.

I'm so glad that I post things here to find out that I'm doing them wrong.  I've had a couple games now playing it the way I mentioned, and now I'm kind of embarassed that neither my opponents nor I knew.  It's good that I found this out before, say, Nova, cause it would severely suck to bring an upgradeless Shen into a game and then find out from a judge call that I can't use that 0 action.  I also completely missed that sacrificing a model doesn't drop a corpse.  It's actually good that this doesn't quite synergize the way that I thought because it was definitely busted.

• Like 1

On 26.02.2016 г. at 0:33 PM, Jugan0ght said:

How did the Shaolin Monks go? I have seen them before very impressive, the kids especially when they do the splits and fall down had my closing my eyes every time :lol:

I do like the idea of the High river monks but they do seem to fold remarkably quick. i will keep practising with them, but I may need need to leave them out of any competitive play.

As to the Wandering River Monk I have used the Monk of High River who is charging with the spear with his cloak hanging around him i think it looks more like a Wind monk then the others, makes an excellent proxy

The Shaolin (almost wrote Shenlong here :P) show was excellent, as expected. From exercises through resilience through qi breathing and technique showcasing, everything was there. I'm glad I bought a front row ticket :P
The High River Monks do indeed fold very quickly. As do Torakage, really. And Ten Thunders Brothers if they don't have defensive. Not to mention Oiran, and all the other Monks... so yeah, many squishy, tricky minions here in TT. Stats alone don't help much when a hungry Teddy Bear or a super-charged battle mech decide to split you apart. Anyway... Yeah, leave the monks out of competitive. Or simply play them as flankers (to get their scheme runners) and second line chargers.
The Monk with the spear gave me the "Wooo... Wondering... Wandering... River" feel as well. However I just had to paint him, so too late to convert this particular model into another monk-type. Oh well.

• Like 1

So I had another game last night using Shen Long, my Crew has changed very little since I started using him but this is mostly due to my laziness with building new models.

The game consisted of Stake a Claim, Search the ruins, Exhaust there forces, Show of Force, Catch and Release and Convict labour. Standard Deployment

My Crew was.

Shenlong with Wandering River Style

Sensei Yu with Promising Deciple

Peasant

Wandering River Monk

Shadow Effigy

2 Illuminated 

Samurai

3SS pool

I was playing a Mcmourning player which actually worked for me as I knew he would be using his Ressers I had decided I would switch to using Fermented River Style (FRS). 

My whole plan was to get into the middle of his crew with Shen Long and use Stumble (the action from the FRS) to cause his models to take Walk duels, which is increased by the amount of poison Shenlong disguards and make my opponent waste high cards or suffer :-fate to all duels.  The upgrade also give the ability to use Drunken Kung Fu which made all the Hard to wound models or impossible to wound models a :+fateto damage slips rather then  negatives. 

My opponent chose to take Convict Labour and Exhaust there forces. I noticed from turn 1 onwards that he was going for Convict Labour simply from the fact he dropped a random marker instead of pulling his crew about using Belles. To stop this I used Gust, the ability from Wandering River Style, which was on Sensei Yu, to move his markers well off of the line and using Airburst to move my own Activated models onto the centre line to stand near Mcmournings markers denying him points.

The Samurai I actually only managed to get one shot off at a nurse that did take half of her wounds but was then used to block Mcmourning from Charging Shen Long to early in the game meaning he died turn 3. 

The end result was a win to myself using the earlier tactic I mentioned on the post about using a Wandering River monk and Gust to place markers for Search the ruins. My Shadow Effigy gave exhaust there forces to a Flesh construct 3 times before he was swalloed :( The game ended 10-4.

One thing I have noticed is that I spend to long panicking over what Sensei Yu's range is and where he needs to be I am thinking of not using him for a number of games and taking a beater model as I really did lack killing power in this game. 

I finished the game with only 3 models remaining the Wandering River Monk, Shen Long still on 8 wounds (starts with 12) and an Illuminated. Another thing I have noticed is that I do not need/use alot of Soulstones for Shenglong he can do everything I need him to do and being able to push people around each turn I have not had to worry to much about winning the initiative as I can offer threats on a number on different fronts. 

Any feedback welcome

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:17 AM, Patzer said:

... Yu was the constant back up, removing enemies with his pushes or healing Shenlong 2-8 wounds. ...

How does this work? None of the abilities that allow Yu and Shenlong to keep conditions apply to Defensive. The ability to gain it from LRS only applies to opposed duels with opposition models. By my reckoning, you can only heal 6 wounds in a single activation. I suppose if you made Yu fast, but that seems a bit of a waste.