0-Cost Henchman Hiring Question

ekt3

Question

The paragraph in question reads:

"Some Henchmen have a Soulstone Cost of 0. For the purposes of the Campaign, these models are considered to have a Cost of 13 minus their Cache while Leading. For example, a Henchmen with a cost of 0 and 3 Cache would be considered to have a cost of (13-3) 10 while Leading." (emphasis mine)

Now am I incorrect in assuming that If I lead with a Henchman of any cost, then I could effectively add the 0-cost Henchman for 0 SS?

Ex. If I lead a crew with Sidir (cost 9), I could add the Hungering Darkness (cost 0) for free because he is not leading.

7 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, Tuttleboy said:

Huggy is Lynch's totem do that particular example won't work.

Y'know, I completely forgot that it wouldn't work for that exact reason. Thanks for pointing that out!

12 minutes ago, SpiralngCadavr said:

None of the 0SS henchmen can be taken unless they're leading or their associated master is.

Okay, using a different example, why couldn't I take Taelor (cost 10) as my "leading" Henchman, and then take Victoria of Blood (Cost 0) as a second non-leading Henchman?

32 minutes ago, ekt3 said:

Ex. If I lead a crew with Sidir (cost 9), I could add the Hungering Darkness (cost 0) for free because he is not leading.

The campaign rules don't change any of the rules on the model, they just specify a different soulstone cost when you are allowed to hire the model.

Hungering Darkness has the following characteristics:

Henchman, Totem (J. Lynch), Rare 1

As a reminder, the Totem characteristic:

A Crew may only hire one model with the Totem characteristic. In addition, some Totem characteristics list a Master, such as Totem (Rasputina). Only Crews lead by the listed Master may hire these Totem models.

That's what prevents you from hiring Hungering Darkness in a crew led by Sidir.

The reason why Hungering Darkness can lead a crew on its own is the ability:

The Real Power: When this model is selected as the Crew's Leader, it loses the
Totem (J. Lynch) characteristic.

And, like SpiralingCadaver wrote, all of the other 0 SS henchmen are going to have similar rules.

For example, Viktoria of Blood has his rule:

The Uninvited: This model may only be hired by Crews if this model or Viktoria of Ashes is the Crew's Leader.

In other words, no, you won't be able to hire a henchman for free unless you've hired their associated master.  They're all rigged that way.

12 minutes ago, ekt3 said:

Okay, using a different example, why couldn't I take Taelor (cost 10) as my "leading" Henchman, and then take Victoria of Blood (Cost 0) as a second non-leading Henchman?

The ability on Viktoria of Blood prevents you from hiring Viktoria of Blood:

The Uninvited: This model may only be hired by Crews if this model or Viktoria of Ashes is the Crew's Leader.