February 15 - Hodgepodge Emissary

Lucidicide

Emissary looks good, though I'm hoping it's not something akin to what other people have said about the Steam Trunk. I'm very intrigued by the Tara and Jack Daw upgrades, and the Emissary has that nice Instinctual to let it do both the specific upgrade (0)s and its own (0)s. I wonder if I can easily convert it so it's raising one hand, I think that plus a magical glow on the hand might might it look more ready for a scuffle.

Bonus preview...it looks awesome in a grotesque way. I have to ask though, as a physiologist-in-training who does a lot of work with exercise and cardiovascular stuff, is the health and nutrition sciences in Malifaux a little lacking? :P Killjoy, those things, fatty penguin...

New idea: magical school to accompany Oxford and Co. that features self-transmutation. Muscle wizards!

1 hour ago, Pyrflamme said:

There have been more than a few comments on Wyrd Place where I feel like people are "speculating" on things they know...it gets me a little antsy.

I know that feeling. If I had inside info I would stay clear of speculation discussions. No need to tempt fate more than necessary ;) Bad things happen after all (well they haven't yet but...)

31 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

<tinfoil hat>Seems they are probably M2E Wave 4 models, if someone not that much affiliated with Wyrd knows about it... or so? I just don't know anymore D:</tinfoil hat>

Note that no one is 100% sure. There is still a possibility that they would be something else than what some people are thinking they might be. Especially since Wyrd throws curve balls like Turtle and Hare and Nightmare crews and such.

5 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Note that no one is 100% sure. There is still a possibility that they would be something else than what some people are thinking they might be. Especially since Wyrd throws curve balls like Turtle and Hare and Nightmare crews and such.

[...]

41 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

I just don't know anymore D:

;)

22 hours ago, ghostcopy said:

We don't have a rezzer/nb dual faction yet do we? Maybe something like that. They do look a bit swampy/bayou as well.

None that I know of.  I think I asked about this before, or maybe just heard it around the forums, but I thought the answer I saw was along the lines of Ressers and Neverborn being an anathema to each other?  Like, Neverborn detest the magic involved in the Ressers "arts" and likewise, the Ressers are unable to put their magic to use on Neverborn subjects, or something along those lines? 

But then again I guess Hayreddin is kind of treading that thin line, being at home with the Ressers but a native Neverborn (Nephilim, right?) race.  So maybe I imagined that all up.

But as far as I know, the "cross-factions" that haven't happened yet are:  Gremlin/Guild, Gremlin/Ressers, Gremlin/Arcanist, Gremlin/Outcast, Guild/Arcanist, Guild/Outcast, Neverborn/Ressers, Neverborn/Arcanist, Neverborn/Outcast, Arcanist/Ressers, Arcanist/Outcast.

Interestingly, the least mingling faction is the Arcanist, with only 1 cross over (Only with Ten Thunders); Outcast and Gremlins share only 2 cross overs with the others; and Guild, Neverborn and Ressers have 3 each.  Then of course the Faction of Factions, crossed with everything it can manage, the Ten Thunders.  Of course, there is more to the idea of simply making models that are dual-faction than wanting it to be so, because thematically some of the Masters already walk the line of being oriented towards one of the others, but it's a far bigger pig to gut trying to balance models when they can be taken by a full set of Masters for two (Or more) factions with all the combinations of in faction models that entails.  Vs having a master like Wong, who could be "magic user" enough to cross into Arcanist territory if he and his gremlin friends wanted to fight for the rights of magic users, but they fit the bill of being simply gremlins that explode themselves and others when given the chance.

And then there are simply themes that don't terribly work well together, like the Resser/Neverborn cross, or something like Guild/Arcanist which in story are dynamically opposed.  But Guild/Neverborn are certainly not in league with each other, while Lucius makes the story work.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

All I know is I think the idea of Ressers/Gremlins is a funny combination, even if it may be a little off for the story, I'd still like to see it happen :P.

22 hours ago, -Loki- said:

Maybe Hayreddin will get a promotion in the next book as a dual Neverborn/Resser master and these sort of things are his toys?

Oh good heavens, don't even suggest such a thing.  I get the transition from 1 to 1.5 and 2, having some of the handful of expanding stories (The then "new" Ten Thunders breaking away as their own faction, thus requiring masters), and a handful of lovable characters being upgraded to Masters along the way (That was the case for Hamlin I believe?), but back to back book release for a model to transition into a Master?  That would be brutal on the story line and the in game logic of mechanics.

Granted while playing, any of the named characters may appear up to twice in a game due to say, two opponents taken nearly identical crews, and that will happen.  No point fussing over that when the Mechanics of the game don't rely on story more than anything.  Although if playing friendly story-based games, I would try to avoid taking my opponents models in my own crew, or at least "re-skinning" them for flavor.  But allowing having to establish rules in game for why Master Hayreddin can't lead a crew including Henchman Hayreddin would make my brain melt.

Although I personally wouldn't mind if Malifaux had an efficient enough production cycle for them to do say, a 2-3 year cycle for a "new" format, like Magic: The Gathering's "Standard" format, and then letting models stand in older formats as well, allowing them to cycle characters from Henchman into Master at a much quicker rate.  Rather than the current structure which is really only shaking things up that much when they had the first big edition change.  But I would hate if the Edition change were to be the focal point of that sort of massive "Story overhaul" that alters the dynamics of the story in that way.  But I don't know about how easy it would be for them to implement a system like that, I figure all things considered, it probably would take a few years down the line anyways, because they need to establish an older set of models to even have a "new" vs "legacy" format style.

Not that I know anything about how to run a game company.  And typically such companies aren't going to be shelving older models, unlike magic which is more than happy to simply quit printing the new set to move on, and anyone who was not present becomes subject to 3rd party sales for no longer available cards.  Typically model companies (From what I have observed from my years) only really shelve older models when replacing them with a nice new set, not to eliminate them entirely.  Although there is always Gamesworkshop.. which is a flagship for integrity and good marketing plans.  Heaven's know 40k books see anywhere from a few months to over 3 years before being renewed to a usable state or being completely obsoleted by a new edition or codex trumping it.  And I don't think anyone wants to see malifaux fall into a cyclical pattern like that.

Moral of the story though, in short, upgrading a named character from Henchman to Master in two back to back book releases sounds like a nightmare for the players.  Logic errors of "Is he master X or Henchman X this game?" considering that they are not already precluded from being in the same game.  Like Warmachine which only makes new versions of the one model you can normally only bring a single one of anyways, so they run no risk of them being taken in the same match.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tawg said:

None that I know of.  I think I asked about this before, or maybe just heard it around the forums, but I thought the answer I saw was along the lines of Ressers and Neverborn being an anathema to each other?  Like, Neverborn detest the magic involved in the Ressers "arts" and likewise, the Ressers are unable to put their magic to use on Neverborn subjects, or something along those lines?

Like Warmachine which only makes new versions of the one model you can normally only bring a single one of anyways, so they run no risk of them being taken in the same match.

Hayreddin's entry in Shifting Loyalties makes it explicitly clear that the Neverborn - at least, the faction represented by Lilith - will have no truck with Ressurectionist magic. If I had to speculate beyond that, it's probably their general opposition to the Grave Spirit.

As for WMH...I should point out that Alexia has two models (unit and solo). There hasn't been any other examples that I know of, but it's not out of the question. PP has alluded, or outright said, I can't remember which, that they also want to have the journeyman warcasters and warlocks make the step to full warcasters/warlocks someday. It's not common, but I don't think it's particularly gamebreaking particularly if the sculpts are visually distinct. Malifaux 1.5e had both non-Master and Master Hamelin, and while I don't have the books to hand, I believe Master Hamelin just had a short note that you couldn't include the other Hamelin, or just one Hamelin, something to that effect. You'd have to ask a 1.5e player if they had a hard time telling the difference, but I can't see that myself.

39 minutes ago, Pyrflamme said:

As for WMH...I should point out that Alexia has two models (unit and solo). There hasn't been any other examples that I know of, but it's not out of the question.

There's also Eiryss, who went from Merc Solo to Ret UA.  But there are extremely few examples overall, yeah.

As an Arcanist player, I would very much enjoy getting a dual faction Arc/NB or Arc/Resser master, if only to have a reason to buy into those factions with what I have.  With the Neverborn they theoretically wouldn't have to hide themselves as much as Lucius, just make it clear that they want the Guild dealt with.  I'd be willing to bet Ramos would make deals with devils for more power.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, retnab said:

There's also Eiryss, who went from Merc Solo to Ret UA.  But there are extremely few examples overall, yeah.

As an Arcanist player, I would very much enjoy getting a dual faction Arc/NB or Arc/Resser master, if only to have a reason to buy into those factions with what I have.  With the Neverborn they theoretically wouldn't have to hide themselves as much as Lucius, just make it clear that they want the Guild dealt with.  I'd be willing to bet Ramos would make deals with devils for more power.

God, I completely forgot about Eiryss. It's even more shameful considering I play "Mercnar" and as a result have both Merc versions in my stable.

And I could totally buy an Arc/NB master. Arc/Rezzer seems harder to pull off unless you go the McMourning deception route with something like undead disguised as robots. I mean, Lovelace and Sloth are totally hireable by Arcanists, but for story purposes I think Ramos would regard association with the Rezzers as a net negative so far as dealing with Guild heat.

• 1 month later...

Oh wow the Hodgepodge emissary is bad. Ya he is kind of a neat model in a jokey, ridiculous kind of way but as an impressive centerpiece model he is SHOCKINGLY BAD. The other emissaries are big and baddass and threatening but grandpa on a donkey is just disappointing. 

1 minute ago, Feerful said:

Oh wow the Hodgepodge emissary is bad. Ya he is kind of a neat model in a jokey, ridiculous kind of way but as an impressive centerpiece model he is SHOCKINGLY BAD. The other emissaries are big and baddass and threatening but grandpa on a donkey is just disappointing. 

I think its great. Just what the Outcasts needed. One of my favorite Emissaries.

• Like 1