Omni's Friday Gallery

Curtis

2 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Unfortunately no write up on these.

I got them halfway through Monday and had to get them completed by end of business yesterday in order to be ready for the sale. So not bad for only getting 3 1/2 days for the whole kit! :P

Yeah, the fur was a bit rough. There are several midtone layers but the photos kept coming out really white and desaturated. I think maybe a different backdrop would show him off better.

I would love a little insight into how you did Luther's eyes. Seriously, they are quite a sight. I'm keep getting punny about the bunny until I see how to do it!

I did the fur sections first. Then the eyes were done by base coating them with Murderous Magenta. That was applied in a large area covering the eyelids as well. Next I did a coat of Skorne Red. I then mixed pure white into the red to lighten it and make it pink. I repeated this step, adding more and more white several times to give it the pinkish bloodshot tone.

Then I took Skorne red and thinned it down, drawing small squiggly lines for the veins. The iris was done by painting a large black circle. This was then filled in with Bloodtracker Brown and highlighted with Cygnus Yellow. Then a smaller black dot was placed in the middle for the pupil. Finally I added 2 very small white dots for the light reflections. For the other eye, I repeated these steps, but made sure to keep it slightly off center to help accentuate the crazed look I wanted him to have.

The eyelid was highlighted by mixing Idrian Flesh and white into the Magenta to highlight the ridges.

Hope that helps! ^_^

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Curtis said:

I did the fur sections first. Then the eyes were done by base coating them with Murderous Magenta. That was applied in a large area covering the eyelids as well. Next I did a coat of Skorne Red. I then mixed pure white into the red to lighten it and make it pink. I repeated this step, adding more and more white several times to give it the pinkish bloodshot tone.

Then I took Skorne red and thinned it down, drawing small squiggly lines for the veins. The iris was done by painting a large black circle. This was then filled in with Bloodtracker Brown and highlighted with Cygnus Yellow. Then a smaller black dot was placed in the middle for the pupil. Finally I added 2 very small white dots for the light reflections. For the other eye, I repeated these steps, but made sure to keep it slightly off center to help accentuate the crazed look I wanted him to have.

The eyelid was highlighted by mixing Idrian Flesh and white into the Magenta to highlight the ridges.

Hope that helps! ^_^

That helps tons! Also, it warms the cockles of my cold heart that there is a color out there named "Murderous Magenta"

• Like 1

Luther is amazing) He's so mad and so Mc'Gee )))
Curtis, I hope you're not take offense but why the black background? I know that some painters use it to accentuate their works, but you don't need that cheap trick! Your works are great! Why not use some real background? I printed my own on A3 at the local print shop and I'm going to do a couple more with an airbrush.

It looks much better and you no need to сut off the model from the photo and insert to the black background. It's much faster for preparing images)

• Like 1

Hey Stark. No offense taken! I use black because it's just what I have available currently. I don't insert onto a black background, that is actually a piece of black dress velvet that I just edit out of photos by playing with light/contrast levels.

I'm interested in having some different backdrops made though. I just haven't had time yet to look into it properly. 

Thank you for the input though! ^_^

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Friday gallery now sometimes on Wednesday!

Actually, I'm just traveling to Adepticon tomorrow and wanted to post before I left. This week I have the Bayou Gators!

That's all for now. If I get far enough today I might have an additional image to share. If not, see you all at Adepticon! ^_^

You should post some pictures of the fun at Adepticon for those of us who can't make it this year. (Also, the gators look awesome!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As usual, the paintjob is fantastic and your highlights on black cloaks are absolutely stunning. Still, I'm not impressed with new design for these models. I have the old metal version and it seems the details are much better there... Maybe that's just my impression after seeing the picture and I will change my ming once I have a chance to see these minis up close ;)

• Like 1