Omni's Friday Gallery

Curtis

So Omni goes and turns his Iron Painter win into a job with Wyrd. Well deserved I'd say!

Ironsides looks great (love the Arcanist logo on her jacket!). I am all about the Spawnmother and Gupps, fantastic! Does this mean that big mama will be coming with 3 bases worth of Gupps?

• Like 1

When I first saw the render of new A&D I wasn't impressed. Now when I see your excellent paintjob on it, I've changed my mind. Wyrd should start adding pictures of painted crews on the boxes, they look so much better than the renders (especially when they're painted to such high standard)

• Like 2

Hey Bengt. Yeah, the lighting gave me issues with the twins. I'm still not 100% satisfied with how this pic turned out (I can't tell if it's her whip or what giving my camera problems) but it was the best I could manage after messing with it for the better part of an hour. I might try again in future but for now I have to press on and keep putting out our other shiny things :D

4 hours ago, Curtis said:

Hey Bengt. Yeah, the lighting gave me issues with the twins. I'm still not 100% satisfied with how this pic turned out (I can't tell if it's her whip or what giving my camera problems) but it was the best I could manage after messing with it for the better part of an hour. I might try again in future but for now I have to press on and keep putting out our other shiny things :D

It may be the sharp contrast from the light reflected on the base edge that made the camera decide to focus there. Do your camera have setting named "focus area mode" or similar? If set to manual you should be able to move the [ ] around.

I never ended up asking, but I'm very interested in what you used to base Toni and crew.  Lovely set of bases, they make the whole crew feel so much more alive.

If I had to guess, I'd say you used a thin foam-board for the "dirt" and overlying tile texture?  With miniature bricks and tufts of grass thrown in for good measure.  Scored with an xacto knife for the squared pattern?

Just curious, I love the effect.  If it's too much to respond here though, I would like to submit a request to have it be a tutorial // article in Chronicles :P

Hey Tawg.

Pretty close actually. I rolled out a sheet of sculpy which is an oven bake polymer clay. Once cured I broke it into uneven chunks and scored the flat tops of it with my hobby knife. The tufts are by Army Painter and the bricks were by Secret Weapon. I painted them in an off white using Menoth White and a mix of browns. Once painted I washed a black in multiple layers toward the edges. After, I went over everything with Dark Earth weathering pigment by Secret Weapon.

Hope that helps! :D

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Curtis said:

Hey Tawg.

Pretty close actually. I rolled out a sheet of sculpy which is an oven bake polymer clay. Once cured I broke it into uneven chunks and scored the flat tops of it with my hobby knife. The tufts are by Army Painter and the bricks were by Secret Weapon. I painted them in an off white using Menoth White and a mix of browns. Once painted I washed a black in multiple layers toward the edges. After, I went over everything with Dark Earth weathering pigment by Secret Weapon.

Hope that helps! :D

Vundabar.  That's very interesting though, did you do anything to the clay beyond breaking it up?  It just looks like there is a layer about 1mm or so at the top that has a slightly more crisp break and the rest has a more rough texture?  Honestly, looking over it more, it may even just be my eyes playing tricks, due to the very extreme edge highlight on the most prominent sharp edges of the material, where the horizontal surface gives out to the slight rise.  It's probably just in my head :P

Thank you for the answer though.  Always love to see an active (And responsive) painting community.  I have to say I'm very thrilled to have you on Wyrd's side.  Them supporting painting, and the fairly decent number of great painters here on the forums is very encouraging to see :)

• Like 3

Yeah, I just baked it and it breaks apart that way. The thin layer was created by chipping away at the edges with my hobby knife to make it look cracked and dented.

I should also have something neat to share today once I hear from Nathan so stay tuned! :D

• Like 2