Just because ... 2/11/16

Nathan Caroland

38 minutes ago, Dirial said:

I dig the rabbit, although it looks more like a Neverborn than a Beast.

The tortoise, though, is just ridiculous, and not in a good Gremlin kind of way. It's a good sculpt, don't get me wrong... but I like Malifaux as a dark humour/horror game. Not a children cartoon.

I'm also baffled by the amount of LE minis Wyrd have in their production line while the regular models are nowhere to be seen. I guess those special sales with the LE minis encouraging big spenders are very successful still. Still, Wave 4 testing is in the pipeline while there is 1 box of Wave 3 and still Wave 2 stuff missing.... and all the while, alternative sculpts are being released for stuff we already have. Baffling.

Is that "How come Wyrd develops things for the game that we don't know about in advance?" or "How come Wyrd finds stuff for the developers to work on while the models from the books are in the pipeline?"  :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

Personally I'm in the same boat (i.e. I would rather have some models finished first, before we see some fancy stuff), but I also find the extra stuff really nice. The only thing I really can't get behind are the nightmare edition crew boxes; but this is more a personal taste than anything else.

To expand upon it, I'll happily gobble up those two and might consinder investing in Yan Lo.

2 minutes ago, solkan said:

Is that "How come Wyrd develops things for the game that we don't know about in advance?" or "How come Wyrd finds stuff for the developers to work on while the models from the books are in the pipeline?"  :)

It's "How come Wyrd prioritize LEs over regular releases, knowing that the gap between the models with legal rules and the models actually on the shelves is not closing anytime soon?" Sure, I see that the developers need stuff to do... although I would prefer them to revisit some clunky parts of the existing rules. I just would like their slots in the production line to be used for the regular releases. Or at least, for the LEs to represent unreleased stuff.

• Like 1

I don't see this as them prioritizing? Like, all the sculpting work on wave 2 and 3 is likely done so this is not interfering with that at all? Like, they are using their slots. It's just, like, they could have waiting with releasing book 2 and book 3 until they got caught up with models, but I'm really happy I have the rules already. (Not to mention tons of stuff already got metal models.)

And big rule changes are hard to do, even though I do agree that say the elevation rules could use some retooling.

5 minutes ago, Astrella said:

And big rule changes are hard to do, even though I do agree that say the elevation rules could use some retooling.

Totally agree. Not saying anything against that.

5 minutes ago, Astrella said:

I don't see this as them prioritizing? Like, all the sculpting work on wave 2 and 3 is likely done so this is not interfering with that at all? Like, they are using their slots. It's just, like, they could have waiting with releasing book 2 and book 3 until they got caught up with models, but I'm really happy I have the rules already. (Not to mention tons of stuff already got metal models.)

I have no insight into their production process, and I don't claim to have. I don't know what their sculptors do, either. All I know is that there will be models (not digital sculpts, finished models) for sale of stuff that already has a model, so that the same stuff has multiple models while other stuff doesn't have a model at all. That's what I mean by "prioritizing".

Now, don't get me wrong: I am just explaining my point here. I don't want to emphasise something, or make it bigger than it is. It's not that big of an issue, I just find it baffling that the LEs are seen with that amount of approval. I would like to have 1-2 regular, unreleased sculpts instead of LEs. That's all. You are free to disagree, of course. It's a matter of taste, and I just wanted to give Wyrd feedback about the way I perceive it.

• Like 2

I've kinda got the sense that these special, one off projects, are done with a kind of 'because they make us happy' or 'because we want to' (in an opening a door to Narnia kind of way, not an evil overlord way) mentality, which, considering the roots of the company and that it keeps the developers refreshed and coming up with new ideas, I'm pretty fine with. Would I want the releases to be closer to when we get the books for them? Sure, of course. But when the other extreme of that is witnessed by other practiced-production line companies obviously interested in nothing but the bottom line and customer-be-damned, I'll take this problem rather than that one. Granted, I've got whole crews that still haven't seen light of day from Black Friday, so I'm sure I'm biased.

As for the new models, I like the feel of them. The twisted fairy-tale isn't exactly Malifaux, except maybe via Dreamer, but it is a unique look that could work well for their own setting. Kind of like the limited edition transparent models, though, I'd like to see full base crews with a few extra models done up to all look unified on the table. Glowy Kirai would look so much more awesome with glowy Datsue-Ba and some gaki/shikome as well, as would a full twisted-Asian-fairytail Yan Lo Ancestors and Retainers set.

• Like 1

Wait to go and spoil the thread.  It takes time to sculpt and tool that models.  Did you really want the production issues they had early on? Amazon Viks,  1 model in 15 pieces like the gremlins?

On a point to the thread,  I can't wait for these.   But isn't Genbu fast for a turtle?

4 minutes ago, Artiee said:

Wait to go and spoil the thread.  It takes time to sculpt and tool that models.  Did you really want the production issues they had early on? Amazon Viks,  1 model in 15 pieces like the gremlins?

Don't know if you are talking to me... if so, where did I ever say that?

@Rob Lo My perspective of Wyrd differs lately, but this is neither the time nor the place to discuss it.

3 hours ago, Dirial said:

The tortoise, though, is just ridiculous, and not in a good Gremlin kind of way. It's a good sculpt, don't get me wrong... but I like Malifaux as a dark humour/horror game. Not a children cartoon.

While I like a bit of realness to my fantasy as well and get where you're coming from, would you be tempted just a little bit if you had a whole crew of anthropomorphic ten thunders? A snow leopard Shenlong, a panda Yu, and a crane Chiaki to go with the turtle and tengu?

• Like 2

I want to add that I love how Wyrd approached these models, i.e. not only giving out alternative models and a Count as BUT give those two a seperate scenarios to have fun with. I guess it will porbably release in the Wyrd Chronicles :3 

4 minutes ago, Trample said:

While I like a bit of realness to my fantasy as well and get where you're coming from, would you be tempted just a little bit if you had a whole crew of anthropomorphic ten thunders? A snow leopard Shenlong, a panda Yu, and a crane Chiaki to go with the turtle and tengu?

... and thus a new nightmare Crew is born D:

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Available Easter initially - down the road at another time. Part of a 'Malifaux Twisted Alternatives' bit that I'm putting together for no other reason than I want to throw the oddball piece out there for the fun of it. I might even have to find a reason to do a caterpillar some day ..

I like this. Wyrd did start as a mini company after all. Both lovely looking models.....

2 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

And yeah, honestly, there are going to be days, and projects, that get done just for the simple fact that 'I' want them done. Not always, but I enjoy doing so when the whimsy strikes. 

Quoting this because I want to like this again.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Well, I can only say it so much, but all the sculpting for the books are done. Matter of fact, a fair bit of sculpting for book 4 is already done, and y'all haven't even seen any of that as of yet. Production can, and has been a booger, but hey, we all want our toys when we want our toys. 

These are also done by another company, thus they come in at a different time and pace, but honestly, that's no ones business but mine at the moment. :)

And yeah, honestly, there are going to be days, and projects, that get done just for the simple fact that 'I' want them done. Not always, but I enjoy doing so when the whimsy strikes. 

I, for one, hope the whimsy strikes hard and often. I always like what happens when creative people are having fun.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

[...]  but hey, we all want our toys when we want our toys. [...]

Don't anybody worry, I know that me wanting Stuffed Piglets and Rooster Riders preferably yesterday is not everyones wish and I am going to order these two [rabbit and tortoise]. And I can also understand, that when you want to do an Alice Cooper Crew of Circus Freaks, just for the matter of doing it; I can get behind that, too. Also I'm a fan of official models (it's my tick)... so I'm always sad, when there are rules, but no model. But that's not on anybody than me...

Can I vote that [most] of the alt models will get special scenarios along the way, like these two? For me this is really the selling deal, that even if my budget is tight (and I want to spend a lot on the sale), because of unforseen reasons, I find a way to bring those two on my table :). So thank you for that! (Yep, I thank you for allowing me to spend money, but I have fun with THE CARVER and I guess it will be the same with those two!).

Wyrd is not the only company that has rules for models but no models.   At least Wryd allows the rules of the models to be legal with proxy/custom build models.  Unlike the other companies that state those models at not legal until they release them.  Some of the models players been waiting years for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Artiee said:

Wyrd is not the only company that has rules for models but no models.   At least Wryd allows the rules of the models to be legal with proxy/custom build models.  Unlike the other companies that state those models at not legal until they release them.  Some of the models players been waiting years for.

I know that, don't you worry :) Also I want to stress this point [see the text in bold] :D

7 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

Also I'm a fan of official models (it's my tick)... so I'm always sad, when there are rules, but no model. But that's not on anybody than me...

I for one, am VERY excited for both Turtle Izamu and the Blessed Bunny.   Especially the Izamu, he makes me think of a Kappa.   (which is how I'm rationalizing him being a spirit, though I haven't quite rationalized how he's undead yet)

I am baffled by people complaining about cool alternate sculpts.   This is the kind of stuff that breathes life into a game and gets people really excited to be involved in the hobby.   Regular releases are important, but it's stuff like this that makes a game special.   :D

• Like 2

Tell ya what - the most sure fire way to make certain I don't do these any more - don't buy a single one when I put it out at Easter. That'll get the point across loud and clear, and I can then have a full epic battle in the warehouse between hares and tortioses! Maybe cry a bit too, but .. you know.

All joking aside, seriously, don't buy it if you don't like it. That goes for anything in life. 

• Like 6