Just because ... 2/11/16

Nathan Caroland

Just now, RatsInTheWalls said:

May I just say, this thread and those like are prime examples of why I love Wyrd.  As you (Nathan) said earlier, it is about the business, and you're not going to hide that fact.  Yet still, you remain entirely human, you care deeply for what you are making, and you're willing to express that.  You are honest to your customers without coming off as pandering, condescending or manipulative.  I imagine Wyrd is a great example of what a modern company could be (about the people and the product above the money).  I've thought about applying on more than one occasion.  Thank you for being wonderful.

I subscribe to every word! I'm the oldfag from WH and have tried many wargames, but never even met such a close contact of developers with the community) I hope that with time Wyrds policy will not ...GW-infected xD

11 hours ago, Stark said:

Ehm... What I just read? /_-
Guys, you're seriously whining about alternative sculpts? What's wrong with you? It's amazing when there is an alternative sculpt or just a chance to appear an alternative sculpts! This is always a chance to replace a model that you don't like (ooooh, you can't imagine how strong my hatred for boxes Francisco! And the alt version is an opportunity for me to start Ditas crew finally), or create a new thematic crew based on it, besides it's great fun (eg.: zombie Chihuahua more suitable for coroner-women than for psychic coroner)!

You're whining about the original plastic Francisco? Seriously? What's wrong with you? What did I just read? Dude!

;) 

• Like 2

To hit upon a few things that folks have discussed since I hauled my arse out of the office yesterday.

Welp, more cards and stuff, upgrades, whatever the fellas might have come up with, I'll see about posting more about on Monday. Ya'll did happen to sort of go above and beyond on my likes to information ratio. 

Mason I believe was originally looking at it from the Tortoise and the Hare bit, but also something about winter and spring and some Chinese mythology that I'll be honest I've half forgotten at this point as we decided not to make that the exact focus. We could have came at in from three different directions and made it all work really. 

Kappa is the first thing that came to mind when I thought about this and the 10T as well to be honest - maybe something down the road eh? And yes, after I saw the artwork and sculpt, someone said something about 'Secrets of Ooze' which I had to then go YouTube and said 'hah - no, we are NOT calling it a damn Ninja Turtle'. I can say for a fact that this was not a decision in the making of the critter, but I did find them interesting. Alex is really pushing for a Beebop'ish character truth be told. 

And lastly, yeah I try to be open about things, in a most general way, but nah, don't put me up on a pedestal either because like everyone else, I have my bad days, and sometimes I can be an outright prick when I want to be (ask the OTT guys) or if someone pushes my button. If I'm particularly busy or stressed with deadlines (most of last year) I tend not to be as open or available for obvious reasons. Not apologizing for it - but I'll own the truth of it. I can be a rough around the edges individual (hey, I was blue collar aviation mechanic for a number of years, I'm proud of it!) and Aaron will laughingly inform you that he just doesn't bother repeating to someone else what I 'actually' said, just the overall meaning of it. 

We do try to have fun, but honestly, most days we're all so busy running around doing one thing or another that the time passes quicker than we want some days (July through January this year was .. exhausting). Personally, I'm looking forward to better weather here soon so that we can crack out the grill and start back in on the occasional Friday cook outs as time allows. 

Now, I'm off to watch Deadpool .. please oh' please be good a good one!

• Like 7

I honestly, don't think the release of missing models is a big deal. Here's what we're missing after March.

Guild: 5 (Guild Sergeant, Exorcist, Pistolero de Latigo Warden, Witchling Handler)

Resurrectionists: 4 (Guild Autopsy, Jaakuna Ubume, Rafkin, Night Terror)

Arcanists: 5 (Large Arachind, Malifaux Raptor, Soulstone Miner, Union Miner, Mobile Toolkit)

Neverborn : 3 (Spawn Mother, Gupps, Stitched Together)

Outcast: 0

Gremlins: 1 (Old Cranky, McTavish, The Sow, Rooster Rider, Stuffed Piglet, Gremlin Taxidermist)

Ten Thunders: 3 (Kamaitachi, Ten Thunders Brother, Fermented River Monk)

We have 21 models from Book 2 missing. We seem to get about 5 to 8 models a month (barring unexpected production issues). So, about around Jun or July, we should have all the Wave 2 models out. As far as Wave 3 goes, we're missing 4 apiece. So, could realistically have all Wave 2 & 3 models by the end of the year.

Obviously, I don't know what their future production plans, but I'm not really bothered. They started in a huge deficit by reprinting their models in plastic and they are catching up. So, I see no reason to fret over special edition models pushing back regularly scheduled models.

Edited by ABoyNamedSue
Forgot the Night Terrors
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

And yes, after I saw the artwork and sculpt, someone said something about 'Secrets of Ooze' which I had to then go YouTube and said 'hah - no, we are NOT calling it a damn Ninja Turtle'. I can say for a fact that this was not a decision in the making of the critter, but I did find them interesting. Alex is really pushing for a Beebop'ish character truth be told.

Ha, I knew I was right with my ooze ideas.

Seriously, it just a turtle who happens to be a ninja... definitely not a Ninja Turtle.

The moment I saw the cover of that issue of Chronicles I thought "this one would make a hell of an alt Teddy". I know there have already been two alt Teddies so one more wouldn't make that much of a difference. It would definitely be cool if Luther came with an extra "count as Teddy" card. If not, it's going to be a cool set anyway :)

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Viruk said:

The moment I saw the cover of that issue of Chronicles I thought "this one would make a hell of an alt Teddy". I know there have already been two alt Teddies so one more wouldn't make that much of a difference. It would definitely be cool if Luther came with an extra "count as Teddy" card. If not, it's going to be a cool set anyway :)

Oh yeah...

5 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

To hit upon a few things that folks have discussed since I hauled my arse out of the office yesterday.

Welp, more cards and stuff, upgrades, whatever the fellas might have come up with, I'll see about posting more about on Monday. Ya'll did happen to sort of go above and beyond on my likes to information ratio. 

Mason I believe was originally looking at it from the Tortoise and the Hare bit, but also something about winter and spring and some Chinese mythology that I'll be honest I've half forgotten at this point as we decided not to make that the exact focus. We could have came at in from three different directions and made it all work really. 

Kappa is the first thing that came to mind when I thought about this and the 10T as well to be honest - maybe something down the road eh? And yes, after I saw the artwork and sculpt, someone said something about 'Secrets of Ooze' which I had to then go YouTube and said 'hah - no, we are NOT calling it a damn Ninja Turtle'. I can say for a fact that this was not a decision in the making of the critter, but I did find them interesting. Alex is really pushing for a Beebop'ish character truth be told. 

And lastly, yeah I try to be open about things, in a most general way, but nah, don't put me up on a pedestal either because like everyone else, I have my bad days, and sometimes I can be an outright prick when I want to be (ask the OTT guys) or if someone pushes my button. If I'm particularly busy or stressed with deadlines (most of last year) I tend not to be as open or available for obvious reasons. Not apologizing for it - but I'll own the truth of it. I can be a rough around the edges individual (hey, I was blue collar aviation mechanic for a number of years, I'm proud of it!) and Aaron will laughingly inform you that he just doesn't bother repeating to someone else what I 'actually' said, just the overall meaning of it. 

We do try to have fun, but honestly, most days we're all so busy running around doing one thing or another that the time passes quicker than we want some days (July through January this year was .. exhausting). Personally, I'm looking forward to better weather here soon so that we can crack out the grill and start back in on the occasional Friday cook outs as time allows. 

Now, I'm off to watch Deadpool .. please oh' please be good a good one!

Comping so much. As someone who runs a miniature store, I know that even though one loves his job, it's still a job and there are days where you'll want the ability to make copies of yourself just to get everything running and with the normal you getting some rest. (Still wouldn't change this job for anything :) ).

If you don't like what they make, don't buy them. But as a longtime fan and gamer of Wyrd, these are so wyrd I just love them. The Tortoise and the Hare are awesome. :P

• Like 2

On 2/12/2016 at 7:19 AM, Nathan Caroland said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can blame Mason for the Tortoise idea

I knew I was right to trust the man.  Mason for governor general!

Also, while I'm not sure I would field these models in place of their originals, these models are glorious and I would love to have them in my collection.  I know designers and producers experience a lot of grief for the work they put their heart into, but I like to think that the malifaux community is a pretty positive one.  I think that's probably in part from the obviousness of how much you all enjoy what you make and I wanted to say thank you for continuing to produce such awesome minis.

Now I need a racetrack themed board...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

I'd advise you to talk to somebody about that. It's admirable to be aware of the roots of our personality, and it's admirable to admit them. Being a "prick" on purpose, however, is not something to be proud of. Especially as you make the point of "not apologizing, but owning up to it". That's even worse, and certainly more of a reason for shame than pride.

In the words of the great Wil Wheaton:

Dbad-241x300.jpg

There should always be enough time for respectful conduct.

• Like 4

@Kobayashi 

Quite enjoyed Deadpool - was different - but in a good way I think. There were a few bits in there that I thought 'really ...' but I figure they stayed pretty true to the character overall. I'm kind of curious what they are going to do for a second go around if the rumors are true that they already have the green light to do a sequel. 

@Nical

I honestly hadn't heard the Korean version of this before, thanks for bringing it to my attention. For those of you that haven't been clued in on this folklore (I certainly wasn't), here is the link that I found that gave an overall understanding. http://www.korea.net/NewsFocus/Culture/view?articleId=120938

@Bengt

Nope, not yet. Folks will howl at putting those together I'm sure (we've gone back and forth on the cuts with this one) but they really are some fun looking miniatures. I 'love' the monster miniatures, and even for rather 'minor' pieces as these on the table overall, I think they'll certainly shine visually. The sculptor I felt did a fantastic job on these. 

@Yazza

Yup! If you don't get them at Easter, they'll show up eventually in retail. I honestly hope to be able to do a line of twisted alternatives for down the road and have a bit of fun with it. Can't be a priority of course until I keep the rest of folks happy with getting this other stuff out. 

@Nicodemic

Possibly, but my guys will groan and holler about it as well for even considering it. Honestly I like the idea of you being able to use the model however you want and include several variation cards in there as well, but the one problem I keep running up against is at that point you sort of make the model a confusing mess for anyone that sees it on the table because at any given time no one knows what the heck they are facing, or will cause the inevitable misunderstandings and screaming about NPE because 'well last week I saw this as an Izamu and now you're telling me its a Killjoy and that guy over there says its a Teddy!' *gamer-rage*

@Viruk

Honestly, that was my immediate go to thought on the piece, but we already have given Teddy so much love that it sort of defeats the purpose. Same with Perdita, that was everyone's immediate 'oooh, Guild Nightmare' and would have been the easiest to do, but at the end of the day, you already have several alts for her crew so ... yeah .. gotta stay away for a bit. 

@Dirial

It's mildly entertaining to see who would bite at that rather obviously baited hook. All that being said, honestly, we're not going to see eye to eye on many things and we can certainly descend to a personal level and point out everyone's perceived faults and things that we don't care about them, their views, opinions or any number of things - but we're not going to, lets save the moderators that aggravation. Lets agree to disagree and leave it at that and share that little all inclusive Wil Wheaton moment with each other. Your comments and criticisms are of course always noted, along with anyone else. Doesn't mean I will always subscribe to them, or that I could easily explain it away with XYZ if I took the time, but they are heard. 

:)

• Like 5

@Nathan Caroland

Glad you liked it, seems in tune with all the reviews, though I'm gonna wait for DVD / Rental for that one. Cinema money goes to BvS..., there are only so much movies of my liking I can convince my significant other to see... Also...

With before voicing my displeasurement of ALT models, yadda, yadda, yadda... I would be amiss to confess that an animal centric twisted alternatives line would be getting more than a peek. Since Alex seems to claimoring for a Beebopesque character, might I suggest the lowest hanging fruit and whisper a soft ULIX in your ear :)?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

@Nicodemic

Possibly, but my guys will groan and holler about it as well for even considering it. Honestly I like the idea of you being able to use the model however you want and include several variation cards in there as well, but the one problem I keep running up against is at that point you sort of make the model a confusing mess for anyone that sees it on the table because at any given time no one knows what the heck they are facing, or will cause the inevitable misunderstandings and screaming about NPE because 'well last week I saw this as an Izamu and now you're telling me its a Killjoy and that guy over there says its a Teddy!' *gamer-rage*

In the maybe 13 years that I've been playing miniature games, I've only ever seen this come up as a problem during tournaments, and even then only rarely.  Most people I've gamed with are perfectly happy with proxy models on the table so long as clear communication is involved.  I use my EBO kickstarter kids as general purpose proxies regularly, for example.  I have to remind my regular opponent who they are this game repeatedly, but no one minds.  Official "counts as" cards would make this much easier.
I'm not saying you should include 10 cards with each of these.  You just shouldn't worry about players raging over it.  Perhaps, if you're are going to remain concerned about this, you could compromise by making each card contextually mutually exclusive (like only one per faction, or no mercs).  Then, it would be fairly easy for a player to work out who the model is this game without asking every time.

Yeah, tournaments are harder 'cause of time restrictions making scanning a thing. As long as you're reasonably intelligent about proxying and make everything identifiable (don't use the same model for 2 roles or something), it's fine. Worst I ever had was someone with a bunch of poorly labeled bases that was incredibly frustrating to process (squinting at bases across the table and trying to remember if that circle was a henchman or a minion was no fun). I don't think I've ever had a problem with "this monster dude is a proxy for X monster" or "this guy with a big sword is a proxy for Y melee piece"