Just because ... 2/11/16

Nathan Caroland

5 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Tell ya what - the most sure fire way to make certain I don't do these any more - don't buy a single one when I put it out at Easter. That'll get the point across loud and clear, and I can then have a full epic battle in the warehouse between hares and tortioses! Maybe cry a bit too, but .. you know.

All joking aside, seriously, don't buy it if you don't like it. That goes for anything in life. 

But I will buy them - especially, because you had been so smart and will give them an additional scenario... oh since your first post got sooooooooo much likes, will there be spoilers for Genbu's upgrade cards [eyes]puppy eyes[/eyes]*

* it depends on you how you want to interpret this command, but some of here like horror... eh...

15 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Tell ya what - the most sure fire way to make certain I don't do these any more - don't buy a single one when I put it out at Easter. That'll get the point across loud and clear, and I can then have a full epic battle in the warehouse between hares and tortioses! Maybe cry a bit too, but .. you know.

All joking aside, seriously, don't buy it if you don't like it. That goes for anything in life. 

Well you deduct a at least one tortoise and hare from your tear stained battlefield as they'll sit amongst my collection (despite not playing 10t or arcanists..... I'm a sucker for LE and alts)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

I'd still think you'd want some context why I would consider buying the rabbit, but not the turtle. ;) That said....

Oh, believe me, I want it out probably faster than anyone for obvious reason.

Nightmare Editions and MISS or SIR (yeah, we're going to do that eventually) minis have also become sort of our 'thing' and allows us to have a bit of fun along the way. To be honest, this coming year's Nightmare Edition was actually a lot harder to figure out because the contest with the Guild winning, etc ... I was suddenly forced into a 'ah crap, it's gotta be X' situation. That said, I think what we came up with will be fun (waiting on the artwork for that one!).  

Anyhow, back to Nightmare Editions, or LE's in general, ummm, yeah, they make money, and help with sales in quite a bit of other areas, in a very significant manner. If it didn't, we wouldn't bother making them, but they do, and thus .. we do. Besides, I actually made a gawd damned penguin miniature for y'all this last year. Ya'll should really appreciate what that took out of me. 

And would you believe it, Aionis was pretty much one of those last minute things where someone popped in and said 'what are we doing for our 10 year anniversary' and I sat there staring like an idiot and said 'huh .. it has been that long .. crap .. MEETING!'. True story. Also allowed me to do a few things different and experiment about for the hell of it. I liked it, seemed y'all did as well, considering how many of the buggers we sold (welllllll above what was expected, but I'm not complaining). Means I'm likely to take time to do fun stuff like that again.

My overall goal is to see things move on a smoother road (well, I've been saying that for three years, but still, I mean it), not have as much time between releases on a few things (always something, usually outside of our control, but at the end of the day, we gotta shoulder it), and honestly, for me at least, have a bit more fun in doing it. When things just become business, business, and more damn business .. it can suck the life out of you at times. Wyrd is at a level where it IS about business, supporting the employees and families that make it happen, and of course bringing a quality product, and at times production or manufacturing can make it a bugger, but we are also at the point now where we can take a few more liberties to make certain that it's fun along the way too, and in this case, a big ass rabbit and tortoise make me laugh, so yeah, it's being done. Actually, I'm pretty sure you can blame Mason for the Tortoise idea, but I latched onto it.

We've got a few fun things planned this year. Not everything is going to go quickly, or smoothly, and there are going to be some that outright hate it (or me, but hey, I'm thick skinned), but the point is, we're certainly making large efforts and it seems to be paying off. I can't, and won't, please everyone, but as long as most of you are happy, well it's enough for me. And if not, well you can spam me with hate mail and maybe you'll like the next project we put out.

Thank you a lot for taking the time to reply at large. I really appreciate the insight and context. This is just the kind of open explanation I had come to expect from you in the past, and I'm glad to see it again. So thank you, sincerely.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, koronuslight said:

I totally "get" LE and alt sculpts - I like Luther, probably want depending on price. I'm just asking for more transparency on the models we are still waiting on, maybe a line of text or two in the Monday Previews, spread the love around more evenly?

Erm, not sure what more transparency you can ask for. 

It's all sculpted. It's all in the tooling. It's all in production right now. It will all eventually be on a boat/air and to us. Sometimes something in there gets jacked, and thus my reason for not giving you dates because the second someone gets a date, you get held to it. 

Whatcha got it whatcha got for the moment. I can't squeeze anything more out without being a bald face liar in the process. 

• Like 9

Erm, not sure what more transparency you can ask for. 

It's all sculpted. It's all in the tooling. It's all in production right now. It will all eventually be on a boat/air and to us. Sometimes something in there gets jacked, and thus my reason for not giving you dates because the second someone gets a date, you get held to it. 

Whatcha got it whatcha got for the moment. I can't squeeze anything more out without being a bald face liar in the process. 

That actually answers the question for the most part. My belly aches less when it's full of news ;)

This is great. I was so happy yesterday I forgot to comment! Playing the holiday scenarios was my favorite back in 1.5 and I used to wish there were "scenario packs" with models, maybe some themed plasticard or catdnoard terrain tokens, and a rules pack. The University of Transmortis was a great start and I really have enjoyed the Story Encounter boxes like the Crossroads 7 box. I really hope to see more of these and want to express my gratitude for this "off the beaten path because it seemed like fun" venture!

• Like 2

Ehm... What I just read? /_-
Guys, you're seriously whining about alternative sculpts? What's wrong with you? It's amazing when there is an alternative sculpt or just a chance to appear an alternative sculpts! This is always a chance to replace a model that you don't like (ooooh, you can't imagine how strong my hatred for boxes Francisco! And the alt version is an opportunity for me to start Ditas crew finally), or create a new thematic crew based on it, besides it's great fun (eg.: zombie Chihuahua more suitable for coroner-women than for psychic coroner)!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Stark said:

Ehm... What I just read? /_-
Guys, you're seriously whining about alternative sculpts?

Giving feedback with preferences and with reasoning as to why is a far cry [pun intended] from whining.

What's wrong with you?

Nothing. I feel rather healthy, but thanks or asking.

It's amazing when there is an alternative sculpt or just a chance to appear an alternative sculpts! This is always a chance to replace a model that you don't like (ooooh, you can't imagine how strong my hatred for boxes Francisco! And the alt version is an opportunity for me to start Ditas crew finally), or create a new thematic crew based on it, besides it's great fun (eg.: zombie Chihuahua more suitable for coroner-women than for psychic coroner)!

While you enjoy it I might not be happy with all alt / miss / sir models, as you might be. With that said I like the pose of alt Firestater and Kaeris and might cave in. I bought the LE Gremlin (#5) to boost my 4 existing Bayou Gremlins. Without having Johan, I prefer if I can find a Johanna to have a femme fatale Support for Kaeris or Mei, but I would not go that route if I would already have him :).  Though I still can voice that I might want a faster release of normal models, without discrediting the fact that people enjoy LE / Alt and NIGHTMARE sculpts and asking if there is something wrong with those people claimoring for it :).

Back on Topic:

No Genbu upgrade spoil makes sad, especially since his Df (:mask) suggest that there are at least two... (I might be wrong though), but alas there are reasons to that.

Might I ask instead how the tortoise came to be, Nathan? You said that Mason was partially responsible for that and if I might pry further how he came to be a 10 Thunders model. A quick google search revealed Genbu as one of four of the chinese constelations. Also someone mentioned Rahzar from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Secret of the Ooze. Also it seems evidant that is a twisted take on the fairytale of THE HARE AND THE TORTOISE :). Is there maybe anything else how the figure came to be? That is if you can and re willing to share :). However thanks for everything spoiled so far :).

• Like 1

May I just say, this thread and those like are prime examples of why I love Wyrd.  As you (Nathan) said earlier, it is about the business, and you're not going to hide that fact.  Yet still, you remain entirely human, you care deeply for what you are making, and you're willing to express that.  You are honest to your customers without coming off as pandering, condescending or manipulative.  I imagine Wyrd is a great example of what a modern company could be (about the people and the product above the money).  I've thought about applying on more than one occasion.  Thank you for being wonderful.

• Like 1