A Few Questions for the Veterans

Greetings once more fellow forum-goers,

I am currently trying to work on Malifaux coming to the Panhandle. However, I have a few questions as to get started on this process for the shop I work at and I hope (*fingers crossed*) that this is the right place to obtain information:

- Where as a retailer would it be best to order Malifaux product? We have a number of distributors at the moment but they are rather limited in how much Malifaux product they carry at any point in time. 

- When it comes to Fate Decks, I have read that there is a way to utilize a deck of playing cards and a conversion "chart" and/or "article" until we are able to order any for our shop.

Any help that anyone can provide would be incredibly appreciated as we try to get this game off the ground at our shop. Thank you in advance,

Arcanist Cupcake

The answer to the second question is easy.  It's in the rulebook, the same page where the Fate Deck is explained.  That's page 23 of the big Core Rulebook, or page 12 of the little Rules Manual book (and I'm pretty sure it's in the little booklet in the starter set, but I can't find my copy right now...):

Using a Standard Poker Deck

When a player uses a standard poker deck in place of a Fate Deck the standard suits represent the special suits of Malifaux.

Hearts are Rams (:ram ) Clubs are Tomes (:tome) Spades are Crows (:crow ) Diamonds are Masks (:mask )

Like with a Fate Deck, a Jack is valued at 11, a Queen at 12, and a King at 13.

The only other point is that you have to make sure that you have two jokers and you need to be able to tell them apart because you need a Red Joker and a Black Joker.  From personal experience as a newbie, the decks in the starter set are the most convenient because they have the suits, the numeric value, and the corresponding damage value and the special rules for the jokers all on the cards.

The old (and I think out of print) single-stripe Fate decks were almost as nice, the only thing they're missing compared to the starter box decks are the rules for the jokers.

There are little reference cards in the General Upgrades deck and the Schemes and Strategies deck.  You can get the same reference cards from the Resources section of the Wyrd website:  http://www.wyrd-games.net/resources

The reference card also has the suit conversions on it.  Personally, if I were printing out the reference cards, I'd fuss with the print options so that each card is being printed to take up half a sheet of paper and you get both cards on the same side of a page; and then just print out several copies of that.  Small, compact versions are nice once you don't need them, full page cards are nice when you don't know what you're doing.  :)

• Like 1