Personal Buying Guide - What should I probably do next?

Kobayashi

Hey there,

I find the forum is a nice resource for helping beginning players and I took advantage of it. Currently I have a lot on my painting shelf and some "on my watch / buy list", but I want to take the opportunity again to reafirm my decisions or just want to get swayed into new light. So first off, I Sound what I have in my possesion, than I tell you what I have planned and after that is up to you to say, I'm on a good track, or I could consider this.

This time, I would also go off-theme, so let's live on the wild side.

Crewboxes
Brewmaster's Closing Time
Ophelia's The Kin
Wong's Explosive Solution

Mei Fang's Rail Crew

Arsenal Decks
Gremlins Wave 1 + 2
Ten Thunders Wave 1 + 2
Arcanists Wave 1 + 2

Additional Boxes
Burt 'Mothaf*****g'* Jebsen
Gracie
Slop Haulers
Bayou Gremlins
LE Bayou Gremlin, aka the 5th
Whiskey Golem
Merris LaCroix
Sammy LaCroix

Metal Gamin
Rail Golem

Dawn Serpent

Story Encounters
The Carver

[* not official title of Burt Jebsen, but I guess with his mullet you just need to add it to his name, when you announce playing him].

This is what I want to add in the upcoming two [starting march] or three month, depending on money and time on my hand.

Crewboxes
Either Mah Tucket's The Bushwackers or Som'er The Bayou Boss; I have a set-up for both and it feels natural to me

Kaeris' Burning Revelations; I feel it is an organic way from Mei Fang and I hope the Master plays differently enough
Ironsides' Troubleshooters

Yan-Lo's Master of the Path

Additional Boxes
Mechanical Rider
Gunsmith
Willi
Komainu
Yin
Toshiro the Daimyo
Ama no Zako
Genbu & Luther
Arcane Effigy

maybe Johan, but I'd rather want Johanna... also a shame that Taelor (I like the pose) is not officially available out of the box...

As you see, I have no purchases on the Gremlins side planned, nor the 10 Thunders (though I have some good suggestions on that side), though I'm looking at the piggies, but feel that I should go there, once I go Ulyx. Also I lament the fact that there are no plastic stuffed piglets, since I'd love to buy them for my (beloved) Sammy (You hear me Wyrd? There is cash to be acquired. Cold. Hard. Cash). I would add the Rooster Riders, if they are gonna be released in march or april, since why won't you have some Gremlins on big roosters...

I'm a bit lost on the 10 Thunders side, but I guess the most efficient way to break into 10 Thunders, without opening the door of yet another faction, would be going Shenlong's Temple of the Dawn with Katanaka Snipers added to it, since I heard he also likes the Dawn Serpent.

I would avoid going Zoraida and Lynch now, since I decided to forgo the Neverborn, we have a lot of those player's already and I want to break new ground, which I'm going with my chosen factions. That is also why I would avoid YET more dual faction masters, especially those that would work better in another faction [not listed above].

I did not look much at the Merc side (and still I just lie under the impression, that only Outcasts are Merc, but I guess I need to change only to mostly.

So sound off, what you think is better on my "TO BUY" list, what can be extended (so I can plan for the future) and maybe if time allows, why that would be a great pick.

As always you have my thanks and Wyrd gonna have some cash...

- Kobayashi the Always-Inquiring.

Mercs: Johan, McTavish, Sue, Envy, Lust, Freikorp Trappers. 

Ten Thunders around Shenlong: Samurai, Snipers, Ten Thunder Brothers, Shadow Effigy, Shadow Emissary, Tengu, Kamaitachi, Wandering River Monk, Lone Swordsman, Mr Graves, Mr Tannen. Don't know if the Serpent gains anything particular with Shenlong (it can be pushed and become Fast), but its is not like it will gain McCabe-level of buffs. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Patzer said:

Mercs: Johan, McTavish, Sue, Envy, Lust, Freikorp Trappers. 

Ten Thunders around Shenlong: Samurai, Snipers, Ten Thunder Brothers, Shadow Effigy, Shadow Emissary, Tengu, Kamaitachi, Wandering River Monk, Lone Swordsman, Mr Graves, Mr Tannen. Don't know if the Serpent gains anything particular with Shenlong (it can be pushed and become Fast), but its is not like it will gain McCabe-level of buffs. 

Can you Elaborate more on the Samurai; I've seen the models and the artwork, but not quite shure, what they do and what their role is. Designwise, I like them - but that had been a trap for me a lot of times in other systems.

Disclaimer, I would as of now only hire one. Maybe two could work, but I don't know. 

Favor of Earth is a poor man's Izamu more or less. 9 wnds and Armor +2, and it can ignore Armor. They get an additional Focused from Reading the Wind, and they get to do a (0) Focus while within 6" of Shenlong. Making that severe damage very reachable. Wandering River Style can push and give it Fast too, which is pretty cool. 

Favor of Jigoku is way more interesting though. You can give it Fast while putting it into position (Wandering River Style), give it a Focus from a Peasant before it has moved, as well as having Knowing the Wind and Stone; everything together makes their Gun pretty nasty if not grim. Sure they have only Sh 5, but the amount of cards you will flip you probably win quite a lot of duels or at least burn your opponents hand at a rapid rate. 

• Like 1

Another question and I'd rather not open YET another thread. I am currently eying Killjoy from afar, but simply put, I don't see him somewhere in my Crews. Especially with him eating A LOT of points... Also with currently enjoyig Ophelia and her and Francois being able to handle every Situation I do not see the need of him... but he looks so... dreamy.

Also offputting is him starting the game buried. I could imagine shenanigans, where I deliver a Bayou Gremlin too my opponents backline and Killjoy is coming out, but let's be honest, a decent opponent will see that a mile - or two - ahead.

I haven't actually played (painted, or even assembled) Killjoy yet, but he does look like a lot of fun. Anyway, the people who have used him against me had a lot of fun....

I can really see Killjoy shining in a crew that utilizes bury shenanigans: Tara, Death Marshals, Tara WITH Death Marshals, etc. However, with (extremely) careful placement & activation order I can see him being successfully used without being buried. 

Overall, between the beautiful mini and the amazing stats & abilities, I would say go for it. Killjoy has one or two minor issues (high ss cost, occasionally charges friendly models), but he seems to be worth it.

The secret is disguised models that can't be charged. Just put them between Killjoy and the rest of your crew and shepherd him across the board.

Ronin are quite good because of their ability to self-sacrifice when he's buried, although they'd better have justified the points you've paid for them first.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎.‎2‎.‎2016 at 10:10 AM, Kobayashi said:

Yeah, I know it's the the problem to deliver Killjoy to the enemy baseline, but rather I think that you can hire for 6 ss two more shining gremlin monsters, I might be wrong though.

I see absolutely no need for Killjoy in a Gremlin list. He can be a fun option but not needed.

On 09/02/2016 at 9:10 AM, Kobayashi said:

Yeah, I know it's not the problem to deliver Killjoy to the enemy baseline, but rather I think that you can hire for 12 ss two more shining gremlin monsters, I might be wrong though.

Killjoy would be 13, not 12, SS in a Gremlins crew because of the Mercenary tax.

Would suggest adding Izamu to the list :D A massive melee monster who hits like crazy. As he is an Ancestor he'll like to play with Yan Lo, and Yan Lo can bring him back to life once per game which is always annoying for the opponent. Sure, he is expensive, but I always take him with me when playing Yan Lo. He is also a good friend of Seamus nowadays :P