February 1 - Carrion Emissary

Lucidicide

I like it. It's okay. But I prefer the old master Avatars and using them as Emissary. Maybe Wyrd will one day produce an Emissary model for each master again? Still, for those that don't have or can no longer get them (or for those whose masters didn't get an Avatar) it's a good solid model.

4 hours ago, SurreyLee said:

I like it. It's okay. But I prefer the old master Avatars and using them as Emissary. Maybe Wyrd will one day produce an Emissary model for each master again? Still, for those that don't have or can no longer get them (or for those whose masters didn't get an Avatar) it's a good solid model.

Unlikely considering that would be a very very nice model, which is half the reason they went to Emmisaries instead of the old Avatars, at least these you can use with all masters in a faction, not just one of them.

Easily the most boring of the Emissaries. Bird in a robe.

The wings look very well executed, though, and it's a good representation of the faction. Nothing beats Nico's Avatar, though.

So, small tangent: Are all the previews going to be Emissaries until we've seen all? Not that I don't like the Emissaries, but it's not very exciting this way.

• Like 2

Damn, you really are being picky... what an awesome model and concept. 

Are you really comparing this model to Nicodem Avatar? By that logic it's just a skeleton in a chair carried by horribly made zombies... 

I think it really captures the flavor of the faction as I do think of any other emissary, they are really well done, as a concept and as a model. The pose, the sense of threat.

It will really come alive when well painted. 

The robes have space to use different painting technics. I can picture already what i'm going to do with them.

This one and the Brutal are really my favorites.

A great centerpiece.

I find the nitpicking strange when you compare the new models to the old ones.

34 minutes ago, nunorod said:

Yeah, really ground breaking. Give it a staff, and it's a Lord of Change. Still just a bird in a robe, but one that has been done for years. I don't see the awesomeness here. It fits for what it represents, and I like that, but it's the most boring of them all.

37 minutes ago, nunorod said:

I find the nitpicking strange when you compare the new models to the old ones.

And why is that? The Nicodem Avatar is just a really cool model - only Sonnia's compares.

38 minutes ago, nunorod said:

Are you really comparing this model to Nicodem Avatar? By that logic it's just a skeleton in a chair carried by horribly made zombies...

Yes, I do. And it sure is, just... the result is awesome, while this is... okay.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dirial said:
51 minutes ago, nunorod said:

Yeah, really ground breaking. Give it a staff, and it's a Lord of Change. Still just a bird in a robe, but one that has been done for years. I don't see the awesomeness here. It fits for what it represents, and I like that, but it's the most boring of them all.

The 10T Emissary was a lot more boring IMHO.

1 hour ago, Dirial said:

And why is that? The Nicodem Avatar is just a really cool model - only Sonnia's compares.

Yes, I do. And it sure is, just... the result is awesome, while this is... okay.

Well ok. Different perspectives then. I find the quality and concept of the new miniatures much much better. Nothing similiar with a Lord of change apart from being a bird head. I guess it's just a matter of tastes in concept.

Shall I throw you picture of models in thrones way better then the nicodem one? :P

I really like the head (the serrated beak is very neat) and the wings are great. The robe is really boring and I agree with Kobayashi that a more tattered look would've been a lot better. Now it looks like it absolutely needs some freehands and I'm not fond of minis requiring them. A solid model but certainly not amongst the best Wyrd has done.

1 hour ago, nunorod said:

Well ok. Different perspectives then. I find the quality and concept of the new miniatures much much better. Nothing similiar with a Lord of change apart from being a bird head. I guess it's just a matter of tastes in concept.

Shall I throw you picture of models in thrones way better then the nicodem one? :P

Sure, please do! Although I don't understand how you cannot see the similarities to a Lord of Change. It's basically the same concept, just the pose varies.

In general, I like the new models way better, too. I find the 2E aesthetics very compelling - I just find this one relatively boring. It's not a bad model, and it fits its role. It looks way better than the bird on Justice's avatar, too.

I look forward to the Brutal Emissary. But please, Wyrd, just show the last Emissaries in one go, instead of dragging this out week after week. I want to look at something different once in a while.

I agree with Dirial on this one, it represents Ressers well, but it is certainly not a ground breaking model.  I can certainly see the resemblance to a Lord of change: Bird head..check, wings..check.

The only major difference is this one doesn't have a staff and wears more clothes!

As far as the emissaries so far have gone I have loved the Lucky Emissary, hated the Arcane one and are ok with Shadow and Carrion, but they are nothing awesome.

4 minutes ago, Dirial said:

Sure, please do! Although I don't understand how you cannot see the similarities to a Lord of Change. It's basically the same concept, just the pose varies.

Because a proper Lord of Change only wears a loincloth! :) Even now that you have brought it up and I have googled whatever passes for a LoC these days I don't really think the resemblance is that striking. Sure if you abstract the concept enough it's the same, but the execution feels quite different to me.

This is the best Emissary in my opinion. The Neverborn has cool art but looses some from being a random plant, yeah there are some other plants in the faction but they are not that common. The guild one might also be good if they change the very weird I-have-no-spine pose from the art. Gremlins and Outcasts are some really shitty joke models. Ten Thunders is just a dragon sitting around, it's an ok dragon but it's a bit boring. Arcanists has a cow! WTH has cattle to do with Arcanists?

1 hour ago, Bengt said:

Because a proper Lord of Change only wears a loincloth! :) Even now that you have brought it up and I have googled whatever passes for a LoC these days I don't really think the resemblance is that striking. Sure if you abstract the concept enough it's the same, but the execution feels quite different to me.

Precisely. I was talking about this. If you just relate to the bird head and wings...well...of course. But it's quite different in concept for several reasons. But I get that you don't feel it's wow. I have the opposite opinion. I believe the concept is simple and effective, maybe not new, because... egyptian themes with animal heads exist everywhere, but a clean, not over the top, effective concept. I personally love it. I think it's one of the best.

Maybe the final model has more detail in the clothes, but still I think it's a great canvas to try out painting techniques. Hard to paint well but awesome to try and give it texture.

23 minutes ago, nunorod said:

Maybe the final model has more detail in the clothes, but still I think it's a great canvas to try out painting techniques. Hard to paint well but awesome to try and give it texture.

From my experience, painting techniques almost never compensate for the lack of sculpting details. Even great paintjobs do not withstand close examination (which in a skirmish game happens far more often than in bigger games). Also, most people don't buy minis to have the right to spend hours learning new techniques so that they can compensate a flawed sculpt...

A bit more texture and wear out on the robes and the mini is perfect. I don't know if the tools have been validated on the mini yet but it would very nice if Wyrd could modify this point.

If not, it is still a fine mini but not a great one IMHO.