10t Mcabe - Any guild models I should pick up?

10T Simon

I've said this elsewhere, but I almost always take McCabe with Badge, Elixir, and Shirt; Luna; 2 Hounds; and 2 Austringers- 27ss.  For some strats I cut one hound and use a sniper, but the Austringers always earn their stones for me.  While staying out of harm's way, they have the pick of the litter of any smaller models they want to kill, and they can finish off anything that McCabe or any of your beaters don't quite take down.  Austringers are dirty, and many people do not like to see them on the table, but they are damn good and fun to paint.  Their attacks will connect, and they will help you win the attrition game.  (I'm a control player in MTG; so I like incremental advantage.)

• Like 3

Thanks guys!

Any idea when the new guild hound models are due out? I remember seeing some sculpts a little while ago...

I've tried to find a thread on 10T McCabe, if its out there can someone link it to me?
Would love to get some tip on how others run him and what 10T models work well with him...

• Like 1

As a general idea, McCabe likes good, tough minions, so Dawn Serpent or Jorogumo should work great with him. And Torakage and Rail workers both become extremely good mele beaters for their cost with the Glowing Saber upgrade.

Also, I see Toshiro fitting easily, to maximize those minions, and Sensei Yu works marvelously with any master, so it also would be a good adition.

I would say Kamaitachi is also great with all those upgrades going and coming around, but Luna is already so damn good that it's hard to choose the generic totem over her (maybe in Recknoning, without Deliver a Message in the pool, Kamaitachi could get his place, as probably you shouldn't be bringing hounds). Obsidian Oni, and of course the Emmisary, also sinergize well with all the upgrade-moving play.

In any case, as you can see, there are too many models that fit great with him (as McCabe basically just makes everybody better), so feel free to choose among what you like.

I found a couple of threads about 10T McCabe, maybe there you can find more useful info:

• Like 2

Funnily enough I just picked up the McCabe set as well!

I don't intend to use Wastrels with him, although I know they have the "synergy" I think that 10 thunders are flooded with amazing minions that they just don't cut the mustard, and as a Brit that truly hurts me, especially as they have a trigger called "fiver says I can do it again".

After doing some number crunching with my current set I came to the conclusion that there isn't a bad set of models to go with Mccabe, he's very unique in where he does generalist upgrades that just makes people "better", so he makes a good model even better.

One of his best synergies (in my opinion) is with our Dawn Serpent.  One of, if not the strongest minion in the game means that Mccabe can use Black flash with his badge of speed to give it reactivate (which only works on minions) then chuck the badge over to him, Illuminated are a watered down but also a great option if they are super low as they have Regen and a 0 action heal and are just a solid minion.

I'm planning to run him with Izamu, getting him into the the thick of the enemy and giving him the Regen+even more armour.  In my mind that will make him an iron block (the 4 inch push on upgrade delivery also greatly helps him because of his stumpy legs).

Im also planning on running lone swordsman with him, thematically he's my favourite model and I love his tool kit, but unless you know your going against a heavy shooting list he can be slightly squishy.  Having a reliable armour, even armour+1 in my mind will make him much more rounded.

• Like 2

I don't use many Guild specific models with McCabe, but one in particular that might be of interest to you (when the model actually comes out, but until then as a proxy) is Master Queeg. He's both a Guardsman and a Black Sheep, so McCabe can infiltrate him either way, and he has some fantastic synergies with McCabe crews - that Dawn Serpent you chucked the Strangemetal Shirt to to set up some armour can use the (0) to do so up to three times in a turn with Queeg's help (once in each of its activations after you Black Flash it with the Badge of Speed, and once when Queeg takes a walk action nearby it and it passes its Horror duel, which Promises gives it a + flip to since it has an upgrade attached). He's a cheap, effective Henchman that can give McCabe's minions an extra edge while also being a decent combat piece himself, with high attack values and decent damage and triggers. You can find him in Shifting Loyalties.

• Like 3

Extra (0)'s with Queeg will be great... 10T Bros getting an additional stance a turn, extra Calls Unto the Chi... I hadn't thought about those granted by McCabe's upgrades. Thanks BigHammer!

Is he that decent a combat piece though? He's got a sweet melee and trigger range but not much damage that I recall.

His gun is Sh6 with a middling damage track and critical strike (not built in), so he can contribute damage often. Also, by tossing him the badge of speed instead, you can get an additional (0) action from another minion potentially, since he will then have another walk he can take.

10T McCabe has a nice advantage over Guild McCabe; Sensei Yu. If you take the Shadow Emissary as well, with the Conflux of Exploration, you can have a ridiculous number of pushes and uses of the BoS each turn, since you have three models with access to Take This! (McCabe has it, the Emissary gets it from the conflux, and Yu can copy it with Disciple), and you get another McCabe upgrade for free with the Emissary. Yu can take Wandering River Style for more pushes and access to fast/slow, and the Emissary can push things with upgrades on them and make them fast with the Rite of Strength, and has the ability to put an upgrade on them in the first place. Add Queeg to the party and you have a lot of free actions happening for next to no cost.

• Like 1

Will throw in one comment as I had not seen it but I like having the option of a Warden in my recruitment pool with McCabe.  With the Saber, Black Flash, and against a model that has already activated you can level a terrifying threat against them.  Been a while since I have played McCabe as I am currently not using my 10T or Guild but that was one of my common threats.  For a 6ss minion I would often destroy something from a heavier weight class *that or drain a lot of resources*.  With Guild I often took two but with 10T it was generally 1.

I hate to say it out loud, but I think double austringers is a trap. Then again, I think core lists are a trap. There are very few schemes or strats where they'll be bad, but to go into a game thinking, "Okay, I have 33 stones to play with after glowing saber, badge of speed, promises, and two austringers"is limiting.

Again, I'm not saying that I don't usually take one. There have been games where I didn't and I wish I had. But there have been games where I did and ended up thinking, "You know... a thunders brother right here would've been great..."

Food for thought.
Eninja

If you're playing him 10 Thunders, I think two of your best options are Oiran and Monks of High River.

The 0 Cost "Hidden Agenda" upgrade lets someone benefit from Promises, and handing Fast and Focused to Oiran with the Glowing Saber upgrade makes them veritable killing machines. Plus, you get the WP Buffing Aura and Lure from Oiran, which are very good in the right circumstances.

Same goes for MoHR, their Charging Flurry lets them pour on damage with Glowing Saber, and they take advantage of Reactivate even better than Oiran.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Warden,

Guild Hounds,

Master Queeg,

...these are a few of my favourite things. ;)

The Warden is solid for his cost and just plain great with the Sabre. I can't imagine a game with McCabe in which i wouldn't take him. :)

Guild Hounds pair really well with Luna of course and they are great for flanking type schemes and strategies. The fragility can be a problem though, so you need to watch that. 

Master Queeg is just a great model. He's quick and good at interact type objectives, plus he's decent in melee which always helps.

Austringers are wasted on McCabe. His crew has more than enough mobility as is and he has better options if you just want to shoot things. The Guild Riflemen and Katanaka Sniper, for instance, are far better options. 

A reliable generical list for McCabe should be:

Lucas Badge, Sabre, Promises
Dawn Serpent
Luna
Couple of Hounds
Austringer
Pathfinder

Looks good and its good. You have number (That's around 37 ss), Hitters (Dawn Serpent, Lucas, any minion with Sabre (This order)), Scheme Runners (Dogs) and Pathfinder and Austringer is more than a shotting platform and make combo. You can add more roles depending strageties & scheme. More hitters (Like Juromugo, Sabre Torakage, Illuminated,...), more supports (Toshiro, Chiaki, LRM, Queeg, maybe Sidir,...), more scheme runner (Another dog, couple of tengu,...), etc...

QUeeg allows you to give Lucas another upgrade and he takes promises, for example.