McMourning with plastic models?

GimmeASandwich

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the game and I would like to try playing McMourning. I'd like my crew to be all plastic. I have no desire to own or hunt down metal models.

I'm posing this question because I've noticed a lot of people take Guild Autopsies and Rafkin in their lists, which won't be available to me. Does excluding these models mean I need to move away from the poison build? His other playstyle is sort of a melee powerhouse, correct? What sort of models do you take in that build? Could poison be done without Autopsies and Rafkin?

I'm trying to get some ideas on what I could purchase to create a generalist 50 SS crew. Budget is not a huge concern.

Thanks guys!

You can use mortimer instead of rafkin. Experiment with both his upgrades. McMourning doesnt use corpse markers for much, so corpse bloat to blow them up in face of the enemy is great. He also has a ranged casting attack that gives out +3 posion(?). My favorite shovel gives him an extra casting action. I will usually take of of his specific upgrades and then transfusion.

Until guild autopsy are released, I'm using crooked men. Their ranged attack also gives out poison and they have finish the job to make a good scheme runner. 

On 23/01/2016 at 7:17 AM, Peasant said:

I think Guild autopsies are getting released within the next few months and a poison McMourning crew should function without Rafkin.

I'd be cautious about assuming that.  We have seen renders for them but that doesn't equate to a release date soon unfortunately.  Necropunk renders were seen last February and have only just been released for example.

I take Guild Autopsies in pretty much every McMourning list I take.  They are good cheap minions which gives you activating control and a way to dish out poison at ranged whilst they are also good target to be Injected meaning you can drop scheme markers more easily (and as it's a place can set up things like Plant Explosives well.  I managed to get 8 markers down for ALiTS with a McMourning crew once!).  Rafkin I take less often because he's another mid-cost model to fit in the list and I don't always find I use him as well as others (but this is a personal thing).  I would certainly suggest that you have these models available to you though if you want to play McMourning effectively as part of his combat beater shtick comes from being able to Expunge for horrific damage.

I'd suggest picking up the TTB male bits as you could make some good Autopsies and a Rafkin out of those.  Guild Guard could also be used to make stand-in Autopsies too as this is essentially what they are before they're McMourning'd (and he ironically made them shoot better!)

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of Rafkin myself, he's just a very expendable, squishy, Transfusion holder. If you were to replace him, I would run another enforcer/henchmen with Transfusion. I like running him on a flank with Autopsies as he can turn one, take some poison from an autopsy onto himself so he has a source of healing. Turn 2, I try to get an autopsy upfield as a tarpit and take its poison and throw it on an opposing model, then take my 1AP charge on it. I dont plan on trying to keep him alive, same with the autopsies. I think one of my early mistakes with McM was overvaluing these models, and keeping them a bit safe. You need them safe enough to be able to get some mileage out of the poison I think, or at least tie up your opponent's models long enough for McM and Sebby to take out some actual important opposing models. I then run McM and Sebby on the other flank with the same trick, Nurse charges McM for poison so he can get his free pushes and Sebby moves it around as needed onto Expunge targets while keeping his anti-shooty aura up. 

The autopsies are really hit or miss. Sh5 is average and usually you'll miss or your opponent will cheat the duel higher than youd like it to be for you to cheat it back for a paltry 1 damage and 1 poison. Then you have games like yesterday where I nailed Kaeris with 4 damage and 3 poison off two shots. I personally really despise them, but they really add some great activation control and tax the opponent's hand heavily. Then once they run out of cards, the autopsies and flesh constructs get reactivate, allowing you free reign to just put some hurt down or run schemes. 

I picked up cheap Bones models as proxies. The autopsies are these cowboys with pistols, Rafkin is some generic adventurer. They all look unique enough to what they need to be that my opponents dont mind. Just find it so odd they've taken so long to print these in plastic.

2 hours ago, MEGAHORSE said:

The autopsies are really hit or miss. Sh5 is average and usually you'll miss or your opponent will cheat the duel higher than youd like it to be for you to cheat it back for a paltry 1 damage and 1 poison. Then you have games like yesterday where I nailed Kaeris with 4 damage and 3 poison off two shots. I personally really despise them, but they really add some great activation control and tax the opponent's hand heavily. Then once they run out of cards, the autopsies and flesh constructs get reactivate, allowing you free reign to just put some hurt down or run schemes. 

The reactive can really help keep your opponents hand in check.  Sure it's likely a rubbish card but that's one less card (or a higher card they're having to use) for Flurry, Defensive, Rapid Fire etc. etc.  Sh5 is good enough to hit most models.  I usually run them in pairs though to make sure I can get plenty of shots off.  Your opponent may well be prepared to let a shot get through because the damage is so low but once there's poison on them that's (1)AP charges for Shikome and Rafkin and 3 damage if you can get Sebastian in the mix.

You make a good point about needing to get stuck in with McMourning and friends though and not worrying too much about them dying.  McMourning is probably the most aggressive of the Resser Masters whereas the other tend to hang back and make new friends to do the work for them!

• Like 1

Yup, I think to succeed with Mcmourning you need to accept losses, even if it's your entire table. I think the GG2016 help him out immensely as he can accomplish schemes early and often, all while harassing the opponent, and eventually just being ran as a speedling bullet murdering everything in his wake until he eventually dies. Just get your points! 

• Like 1

Guild Autopsies aren't there to do damage, they are there to put ranged poison on models, something they do well, especially late turn

Rafkin is awesome but don't waste your upgrade slot using transfusion, in fact don't bother taking transfusion in the whole crew, its completely unnessary and focuses you on playing a certain way, which IMO is a recipe for losing, especially against good players

7 hours ago, OldManMyke said:

Guild Autopsies aren't there to do damage, they are there to put ranged poison on models, something they do well, especially late turn

Rafkin is awesome but don't waste your upgrade slot using transfusion, in fact don't bother taking transfusion in the whole crew, its completely unnessary and focuses you on playing a certain way, which IMO is a recipe for losing, especially against good players

I can definitely see this and it's why I really dont care for Rafkin. And probably why I suffered so often early on with McMourning trying to set up Expunges too hard. 

edit: I've had time to reflect on this. Looking at it as black or white is pretty rough. There will be situations and scenarios where Transfusion is a great pick. Sure, it can lead you into a trap with McMourning, but it definitely is a useful 0 action. 

8 hours ago, jonahmaul said:

Disagree about Transfusion completely.  If you are running a poison heavy crew with McMourning, FC and Autopsies then the flexibility that Transfusion can offer you is very useful.  I've never taken it twice though and usually put it on Seb.

And thats what makes this game so fun and why folks need to learn what works for themselves rather than net listing, because one mans list isn't going to work for another

• Like 1

I agree though saying that Transfusion is useful in a poison McMourning build is hardly netlisting which doesn't really exist in Malifaux!

It's also useful to have if Rafkin is around because he can heal models that have poison on so you can move the poison where it needs to be on your own models (including himself).

1 hour ago, jonahmaul said:

I agree though saying that Transfusion is useful in a poison McMourning build is hardly netlisting which doesn't really exist in Malifaux!

It's also useful to have if Rafkin is around because he can heal models that have poison on so you can move the poison where it needs to be on your own models (including himself).

He also hits like a truck against poisoned enemy models

• Like 1

On 2016. 01. 28. at 10:04 PM, jonahmaul said:

Disagree about Transfusion completely.  If you are running a poison heavy crew with McMourning, FC and Autopsies then the flexibility that Transfusion can offer you is very useful.  I've never taken it twice though and usually put it on Seb.

This. I've taken it twice a few times, but it was not worth it. However, setting up a poison bomb on turn 1 by double walking Rafkin (or a Flesh Construct/Autopsy), moving the Chihuahua within 2" of him for 2 stacks of Poison then charging him with a Nurse is rarely a waste of AP and can usually net you a dead enemy Enforcer/Henchman and a new Flesh Construct in the first or second turn of the game. You just have to watch out if your opponent  has any options to kill your poison battery before you can use Transfusion and Expunge (Performers seem the worst contenders on paper), so I generally position my choice of "bomb carrier" behind terrain on turn one. A fun bonus with Rafkin is that he can usually walk into LoS then charge an enemy model with Poison on turn 2.

Of course trying too hard to set up a Transfusion + Expunge combo can lead to a trap (I usually manage to do it once or twice per game), but in most McMourning crews you are going to have Sebastian, the Chihuahua and a Nurse, and Transfusion costs only 1 SS. There will be many situations where you can't rely on Poison Bombing or have better use of your AP (using McMourning's (0) Injection, handing out debuffs with the Nurse etc.), but McMourning is a very versatile toolbox who can function in multiple roles and switch between them without any effort when the flow of the game demands it. Honestly I find that trying to play McMourning as a dedicated melee beater or a poison bomber is the real trap. He can fill both roles (or offer tremendous help in completing certain schemes) if you take his core models and upgrades. Decaying Aura is just filthy on him both in melee and with Expunges, whoever you are facing (ironically the Errata in the past which intended to cuddle it just made the skill stronger on him, as he can benefit from it with Expunge), Moonlightning is good against like 90% of the crews and Plastic Surgery can make it useful against the remaining 10% or Evidence Tampering can be a game winner with certain schemes in the pool.

• Like 1