Criid, reincarnation and things dying from burning.

Red Moon Head

Question

Hey dudes, just watched a batrep where something died from the burning condition and allowed Criid to summon.

It was the burning that killed the model so I had assumed it wasn't possible (as you remove the burning to do taht fatal damage).

however the more I look at it I'm convincing myself it is possible.

model takes wounds equal to its burning condition > then remove the condition.

meaning of that model hits 0 wounds sonnia can "step in" between those two steps and summon. Is this correct or have I been playing it right from the start?

3 answers to this question

As it says in the extra rules section on Burning:

During the Upkeep Step any model with the Burning Condition suffers an amount of damage equal to the Burning value. The effect is then removed.

and in Burning itself:

Burning +1: At the end of the turn this model suffers +1 damage, then remove this Condition.

In other words, the model has Burning +X when it's taking the damage from Burning +X.

You don't remove the condition to cause the damage, it's a sequence of events that happens whether or not the model manages to avoid the damage or there's some effect preventing condition removal.

1 hour ago, solkan said:

As it says in the extra rules section on Burning:

During the Upkeep Step any model with the Burning Condition suffers an amount of damage equal to the Burning value. The effect is then removed.

and in Burning itself:

Burning +1: At the end of the turn this model suffers +1 damage, then remove this Condition.

In other words, the model has Burning +X when it's taking the damage from Burning +X.

You don't remove the condition to cause the damage, it's a sequence of events that happens whether or not the model manages to avoid the damage or there's some effect preventing condition removal.

So if it drops them to 0 wounds sonnia can immediately summon of it then? 

Awesome, I've been ripping myself off it seems!

45 minutes ago, Red Moon Head said:

So if it drops them to 0 wounds sonnia can immediately summon of it then? 

Awesome, I've been ripping myself off it seems!

Yep, if the model drops to 0 wounds, Sonnia's ability gets resolved and you summon a model before removing the killed model.

Don't forget about the entry in the FAQ concerning Explosive Demise and Violation of Magic, though.  'immediate' is an elastic concept. 

• Like 1