January 18th - Shadow Emissary

Lucidicide

Nothing special for this emissary, it's just a dragon, like thousands before it.

I do not like the idea at all of Wyrd starting to make minis that are unplayable because they greatly exceed their base. It's difficult to say without the scale but how are we supposed to put stuff near this mini?

Transportation in a bag will be a pain also.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yool1981 said:

Nothing special for this emissary, it's just a dragon, like thousands before it.

I do not like the idea at all of Wyrd starting to make minis that are unplayable because they greatly exceed their base. It's difficult to say without the scale but how are we supposed to put stuff near this mini?

Transportation in a bag will be a pain also.

I don't see any issue transporting this. No different than any of the other awesome 'big' models Wyrd has given us. Wyrd is known for dynamic models. Be creative and find a way to showcase the model while still making it playable. I for one think this model is great and as a dragon, I also find it very cool as it fits the 'flow' and posture when standing next to the mei feng, misaki, or shenlong models (as well as the other 10T) and their crews.

Great job Wyrd!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I don't see any issue transporting this. No different than any of the other awesome 'big' models Wyrd has given us.

Hungering darkness, Bad juju and Mature Nephilim do not exceed their bases (for the big models I own), nor do much of the 50mm models I have been given to play against. Mature Nephilim is annoying to transport and constitute the limit in terms of the lost space in a bag.

2 minutes ago, SpiralngCadavr said:

Don't like the concept (doesn't feel very unique, as others have mentioned), but the execution is great.

I agree with you 100%! When I saw the art for the TT Emissary I was rather disappointed and I dreaded how the mini would look. But I have to say that the execution here is seriously top-notch. The scales look great and even the belly looks good (unlike in the art). I really like the pose viewed from the front, but from the side it looks a bit unbalanced. Still, very positively surprised by the transformation from art to render. Good job! :) 

• Like 2

Luckily my ridiculous backlog of basing and painting (Dawn Serpent, Komainu, Monks of High River, Izamu, Yan Lo, Soul Porter, Mei Feng, Emberling, Ama, Miss Anne, Yu, and numerous detail touchups) will be concluded when this thing hits so I can take my time with it.  The scales are gonna be fun to shade and highlight.  I feel like most dragons I see in games are the more western variety, and I'm happy to see such a nice sculpt of an Asian (Chinese?) style dragon.

It looks like there's enough weight in the front of the model and the way the tail curls to keep it balanced.  It also looks like only a little of its tail will extend beyond the base.  I'll just point at Ototo (absolutely love the sculpt) here, who I still haven't front weighted yet...

So I hate to be a party pooper, but on second viewing, I can't put my finger on it but I feel like its arms are...off. or at least, its left arm (the one fully visible in the second photo). It feels like it's rotated way too far back to be comfortable, at least from a flesh-and-blood human perspective. Try rotating your arm so that the top of your shoulder is on the same vertical plane as your stomach. 

The other arm seems to have the upper portion of the arm along the midline (see: back scales to belly transition) and seems ok, but I feel like the left arm...hmm. Feels like the left upper arm should follow the midline as well and maybe increase the angle between the bicep and the forearm to retain the same reaching forward look.

wyrdpreview.jpg

It is a fairly common pose for an asian dragon, no problem with that shoulder. Almost all the chozu dokoro shows a rotation of the shoulder even more extreme than that. A lot of ancient paintings had a similar position of the shoulders, take a look:
Chen_Rong_Nine_Dragons.jpg

Besides, you as a human could do that position of the arms without problems:
Bild_Uebung_pb_01_07_d_2.jpg

ps: why you placed the harrow pointing the belly on his chest!? XD

11 hours ago, Aaron said:

The future!

/ooos and ahhhs

I shall Cross the Sea of Stars, Chase the Horizon at the Edge of Space, in the Pursuit of the All-Time... All to find this Future... and KILL IT. Brutally.  For Standing between me and what I Desire.  Future's End will not be Well.

Amusing Jokes aside it is a pretty nice looking dragon, kind of to bad that 10T does not have some other official option like the other factions have with Avatars but thems the breaks.  Not the keenest about it sticking over the base as it can cause problems in the game with a shuffle and moshpit but the alternative would likely have been to have it wrapped around like a snake or the Eternal Dragon from Dragonball. 

4 hours ago, Pyrflamme said:

Yeah, it's possible, just not really a comfortable pose that I'd expect to see outside of an exercise like that. And well, with a physique like that, belly and chest are a little hard to differentiate. :P I guess if art like you say shows it, it could work...

I'm with you on the "the shoulder looks" off thing. It hurts the suspension of disbelief, when the fantastical creatures are too far outside the real world laws of nature/anatomy.

The fluff and the art might support it, but to quote Monty Python "I may not know much about art, but I know what I like!" :)