Overwhelmed and unhappy

Kobayashi

11 minutes ago, Palooka said:

I think a pretty pertinent point to mention is that Brewmaster is not the easiest crew to learn the game with, either. I looked at him on paper and thought he'd be easy - he wasn't. He work really well sometimes but he takes an awful lot of clever positioning to get the best out of him. Ophelia is probably the better option to use to learn the game with, out of the boxes you have.

Al.

I learned that lesson when I last time fielded the LaCroix family (read: the family, the Ortegas cosplays as). I did struggle still (forgetting some Actions I could have taken - but this was mostly due to overall inexperience). With Francois being able to kill a Teddy in one go (with Soulstones and his Loose Trigger), I was taken aback, what potential still lies unlocked... [the henchman was taken aback, too, since he never faced Gremlins and this infinite (but SS heavy trigger) surprised him and he was sure to take my backline... I guess next time around he will be a bit more careful].

There is much for me to learn, though, but Ophelias Box is helping in that regard. Also once I painted them (and the Whisky Golem), I'm gonna order Wong. ^^; So I will have lots to choose from and once I get more comfortable in the game I can go Brewmaster, since I guess a lot comes down to asses your plan with Brewie.

Wong is lovely and easy to play, once you get used to all the many, many things he does. One thing I'd recommend if you want to get the best out of Francois is a Slop Hauler - stops him from killing himself with Dumb Luck. :)

I'm glad you had fun with Ophelia. More games will really give you that experience to remember what everything does - just dive in and play! 

Al.

On ‎21‎.‎01‎.‎2016 at 3:38 PM, Palooka said:

Wong is lovely and easy to play, once you get used to all the many, many things he does. One thing I'd recommend if you want to get the best out of Francois is a Slop Hauler - stops him from killing himself with Dumb Luck. :)

I'm glad you had fun with Ophelia. More games will really give you that experience to remember what everything does - just dive in and play! 

Al.

Slop Haulers are already tied to my Sammy preoder, along with Merris and Burt Jebsen; If I'm lucky Wong hits tomorrow, but more likley monday [though I have the follwing thursday and friday off and will paint the Wong].

What I also like on all my Reckless Enforcers / Henchmen is Dirty Cheater - especially if they have an ability I really wonna cast and cheat. 1 damage taken, do actions, remove one damage... oh look I only have fast models ... :D

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So I think I need to come back to this thread.

I had couple of games in with Wong and gosh what a blast*! First of I managed to circumvent models who are having HTK and are near to the brink of death with blast and following pulses from Lightning Jump with a Gremlin's Luck. It just gets better with sending in a Bayou Gremlin (or anything else expandable) in and see how the enemy squirms, once you explain to him, that he can't do anything, except eat those blast markers and pulses. Adding Insult to injury is his Magical condition he can dish out and I had fun either giving it to a (permafast) Francois or even McTavish (a focused, magical McTavish can deal a lot of hurt from afar). Even better if you squeeze Sammy in, who holds the Ooo Glowy upgrade for Wong and helps with the card cycle, if you have Old Cranky with you.

With that I guess starting with Brewie was not the best thing to do, but oh well he spoke to me to get in the game and I see nothing wong* with that.

In the meantime I spliced a bit 10 Thunders, so it's more on the backburner side and currently provides our newcomers with something to play with, until they are hooked and get told that a crew box is everything they need... and so the cycle repeats

I'm still not 100% sold on getting stuff like Trixie Belle in Crew Boxes, but currently it's a minor gripe I have with the game and this happens to every faction... so... well hear my q.q and here it loud! But that's your Business model and all I can do is vote with my wallet but at this time I really am curious about Mah and the soon to be preordered Zipp!

* pun intended

• Like 1

Kobayashi I felt the same exact way when I started reading articles about the Brewmaster...and I am glad to see this isn't just me. I am looking at other (cheaper) options for beefing up a brewmaster crew and hopefully the new book and crews can help. (I do wonder if the Gremlin pirates might have more synergism with Wong more though...). 
As I learn what works and doesn't I will post here.

• Like 1

Addition:

Also I learned that the real power behind our Frnak is not the range, but the Close combat (especially with Stilts, being Magical and just declaring Dumb Luck for the lulz). Making him Reckless, Focus him before and just remove that thing from the game that you are most scared of.

My last list was Wong, 3 Bayou Grems, Old Cranky, Sammy, McTavish, Merris and Frank and my Opponent was a Collodi Player. I picked Power Ritual and Break Through and McTavish was a bit magical. I scored 9 - 3. My Opponent did not care for Merris, or could not, because other threats had been Screening / protecting her, so she was out there doing scheme marker shenanigangs. The Bayou Gremlins plastered the other side of my deployment zone, so that my opponent could close in and Wong was to happy to blast those damn puppets into bits and pieces, without my opponent being able to take the DF duel. McTavish removed most of the big threats in one go (focus that biatch) and in round 4ish Frank charged the left overs in the opponents table side and showed what a real man can do without glowing (but having stilts), so he could help Merris out to get more Scheme Marker into play come round 5.

The list screwed around my opponent so much, that all he omanaged to take down, had been my Bayou Grems (and I blasted Old Cranky into Bayou Heaven to trade 2 for 1 (and get his share of moonshine)). His Coryphee tried to place scheme markers and remove some of mine (though as he noticed it was for naught he stopped removing anything at all).

All in all with due experience I am happy to have kept on playing and got rewarded!

19 minutes ago, tpryan01 said:

Kobayashi I felt the same exact way when I started reading articles about the Brewmaster...and I am glad to see this isn't just me. I am looking at other (cheaper) options for beefing up a brewmaster crew and hopefully the new book and crews can help. (I do wonder if the Gremlin pirates might have more synergism with Wong more though...). 
As I learn what works and doesn't I will post here.

I made it and so do you, for Gremlinkind. For big explosions, VERY big explosions!

1 minute ago, tpryan01 said:

not knocking your build but it seems to be doing exactly what the "optimum" Brewmaster build does...use models from other crew sets. 
Have you moved past that and just enjoy the play style of Wong?

Exactly. Though I just ordered Wong first and he is nice out of the box or with the Kin I already had. After that all went it's way :)

It really helped not worrying too much, see what stuff you can do with what you have on Hand.

I wished for Trixie Belle, but still could do without her and even Zipp arives before her... so there is that :). Just go with the flow :D