Starting Ressers - Nico/Seamus/Mcmourning

Primed

Hey folks,

I'm start ressers for a local slow grow and was wondering where i should go with my purchases. I have managed to get my hands on the old Nico crew(the one without the vulture), i have the seamus box set, plus another three belles which i can proxy as doxies, the mcmourning box and toshiro for extra fast goodness. I know that i need to get mindless zombies but the box is £20 here and there is probably other stuff that i could get that would last longer in game other than being raised up only to get removed because of summons.

I was thinking the transmortis box set for the students and the hanged box.

any advice would be amazing

Yin. Really solid model with Seamus and Molly especially but has good synergy with all Ressers.

The Hanged. I loath these models as hired models, but as summons they are top notch, and they are a big bump in power to anyone, like nicodem, who can summon them.

Necropunks. Best pure resser scheme runner in my opinion. You'll want access to at least 1 at times, and Nicodem can summon them.

• Like 1

how do you rate the necropunks and the crooligans?

also, if possible would you be able to give me an idea of a basic crew that i could build on from what i have? I know its a tall order but i literally have no idea where to start and what to hire etc given the fact that he can summon most of the faction.

Both are good. For me it comes down to a few things, how much use you are getting from the Crooligan's additional abilities (Cover, Blistering Fog, and the Creepy Aura) is one, but also if you need your model doing something from turn 1. Crooligans CAN NEVER TAKE AN INTERACT ACTION TURN 1. I typed that in all caps because that's where they fall down for me. Necropunks can, and they can also drop 2 markers per turn as opposed to the 1 Crooligan's manage. For me that is huge. I want all my models in a crew to have the potential to begin working their jobs from turn 1 onward. I personally haven't found the Crooligan's being able to deploy with from the shadows to be all that useful outside of a few situations. I just feel I waste the first turn with them as all they tend to do is hang around and take defensive stance while I wait for them to be useful on turn 2.

That isn't to say they are bad, they are very good and I use them often, but mainly when I'm trying to synergize their other abilities.

From the syntax of your sentence it sounds like you are looking for the core of a Nicodem list?

Nicodem (Undertaker, Manical Laughter)

Mortimer (My favorite Shovel)

Vulture

Rotten Belle

Canine Remains

A base Seamus list:

Seamus (Red Chapel Killer, Sinister Reputation)

CCK

Madam Sybelle (Not too Banged Up)

2 Rotten Belles

Nurse

These are just core crew suggestions to try out and build on.

I recently picked up the Seamus and Molly boxes and I've been thinking that Crooligans -1WP would stack nicely with Seamus, their From the Shadows is actually a boon here, as they can be where Seamus needs them turn 1.

This is just theoryfaux, but on paper it looks solid.

I actually never use crooligans with Seamus. Here's why, while they can lower wp against models near themselves, they don't have any ability to take advantage of that drop in wp, nor does Seamus himself, and if they are close enough for them to drop an enemy's wp, then they are going to make it difficult for Seamus to shoot the enemy model because he has no ability to prevent randomization when shooting into combat.

So it comes down to why you are actually bringing the wp reducer. What wp attack are you going to utilize on which model that is going to benefit from having crooligans?

I have found them mildly useful to Seamus when you go the bag o tools route, because in that instance he really doesn't care if he can't shoot an enemy tied up with a crooligan, but it still comes down to what wp attack do you need to get trough that crooligans make it better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

I actually never use crooligans with Seamus. Here's why, while they can lower wp against models near themselves, they don't have any ability to take advantage of that drop in wp, nor does Seamus himself, and if they are close enough for them to drop an enemy's wp, then they are going to make it difficult for Seamus to shoot the enemy model because he has no ability to prevent randomization when shooting into combat.

So it comes down to why you are actually bringing the wp reducer. What wp attack are you going to utilize on which model that is going to benefit from having crooligans?

I have found them mildly useful to Seamus when you go the bag o tools route, because in that instance he really doesn't care if he can't shoot an enemy tied up with a crooligan, but it still comes down to what wp attack do you need to get trough that crooligans make it better.

Haha, I was just listening to all the older schemes and stones podcasts, and you mentioned this exact bit on the Seamus cast.

Crooligans work much better with Nico as forward corpse markers/scheme runners (anti-shooty aint bad either), Molly to increase black blood damage or threaten Killjoy/bete unburying/scheme running. Outside of those two, I dont care for them too much. As Fetid said, Necropunks are just too good. They're slightly easier to hit via Defensive duels, but between hard to wound, hard to kill, and the ability to regenerate 2 hp on activation makes them incredibly survivable on their own. Heck, One game with Kirai I summoned an Onyro off of one, had it activate, leap, and go off for power ritual. Having the free heal makes them incredibly versitile. 

With Molly/Seamus, Belles also can double as scheme runners with Sybelle around upping their walk by 1 with her aura, making them Walk 6, for only 1 point more than Canine Remains (who arent nearly as durable)

Fetid also has great suggestions, OP, for core lists for Seamus/Nicodem. What I like alot about Nicodem is his ability to hire really anything he needs. He only really NEEDs Mortimer, but a totem is great too. Vulture/Graveyard Spirit make good totems, although Vulture is by and large the most universally useful one for his lists. When people say he is the most expensive resser master, they arent kidding. You can be taking things like Yin, Izamu, Carrion Emissary, rotten belles, etc just as hires, not even counting his expansive summon list! And the more of those models you have, the more options you have for accomplishing your schemes and strats. 

Necropunks are one of the three 5-pointers which each Resser player should own in my opinion (the others are Nurses and Belles obviously) and one of the most solid, reliable and versatile scheme runners in the game. Leap without any suits is great, hard to wound, hard to kill, decent defensive stats and the ability to heal 2 wounds per turn makes them quite hard to remove in one activation (unlike Crooligans, who can be simply one-shot) and they can do any Interact-based Scheme and Strategy quite reliably. I don't own Crooligans, but I was never tempted to switch them for Necropunks. From the Shadows can be a huge liability, Always on the Move can be good if the terrain is in your favour to get out of LoS (but Leap is way more versatile and can be used for that as well) but being able to place two markers/turn is one of the main selling points of Necropunks for me, The Mist seems decent but requires an 8 to cast and it's not that hard to get cover on a proper board anyhow, Blistering Fog is very situational and has a high casting cost, and Creepy is also one of those abilities which might be useful once in every 10 games or so.

The Transmortis Box is not a bad purchase, you get three "toolbox" summons for Nico/Molly and the Valedictorian is a really versatile model (and the main reason to get the box). She is not the most "damaging" heavy hitter we have, but she is quite hard to kill and has great survivability, so she requires less support to do her job than Izamu (slow) or the Rogue Necromancy (relatively squishy and loses a lot of it loses wounds), so if you want a "generalist" heavy hitter, she is a great choice. However, Izamu is also a very scary alternative if you need a heavy hitter, especially with Nicodem.

The Carrion Emissary will be another very versatile model who will be great in most situations, regardless of your choice of master, but it is not released yet.

Johan or Chiaki (enter Yan Lo box) can be good if you suspect you'll need condition removal and Johan doubles as a slow but quite heavy hitter, while Chiaki can run Schemes quite alright and can be rather annoying by spamming Slow.

Canine remains are always good to have, they are good fodders who can deal alright damage, can run schemes decenty and have a nice passive debuff in their melee range. Their corpse marker producing ability is a trap choice with Nicodem though.

But I'd recommend you to play a few games with the Masters you already have, and decide to focus for one or two of them for a while, as Seamus and McMourning tend to run quite different models in their lists except for support models and schemers (for example Rafkin is brutal with McMourning, but I'm not certain I'd take him with other masters), and Nicodem loves everything as long as it's Undead (so sooner or later you'll end up owning half the Faction with him anyhow ;)).

6 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

I hadnt thought of using Bag o' Tools, with the damage track on his gun Sinister Reputation just looks so much better especially with Red Chapel Killer.

I was thinking of the Crooligan doing a walk action, placing a marker and then "Always on the Move" close to someone I want to Lure with a Rotten Belle. If Seamus is within 6" he gets healed (and with Sinister Reputation the target is now at -3) and his next target is lured out of combat with the Crooligan and closer to him. If the target has already activated it cant kill the Crooligan and Crooligan isnt threatening enough remove.

I dont know if its worth the AP, the Belles Lure is strong enough that it doesnt really need the -1.

It really came about trying to get the most use out of all the models in Molly and Seamus' boxes.

Crooligans can be used with Nicodem if you need to  move the crew quickly, as Mortimer can use the Crooligan as a target for Fresh Meat. 

Otherwise I feel that Necropunks win over Crooligans for scheme running. I've never taken advantage of the -1WP the Crooligans provide, and Seamus cannot directly take advantage of the reduced WP outside of the Mad Bomber build (which is: Redchapel Killer, Sinister Rep, and Corpse Bloat - create corpse markers to blow up which causes WP 15 duels which Sin. Rep makes effectively WP 16 and then Seamus heals off every unsuccessful test) 

Sinister Rep is a nice, passive ability but the Bag turns Seamus into a very competent Scheme runner. Fetid's Schemes 'n' Stones cast on it will explain it in more detail. I actually find that with Seamus operating as a lone wolf/scheme denier he isn't usually in a place to help his crew beneift from the WP reduction.

I don't think Val is the main reason to get the Transmortis box - its the Student of Steel. It offers Nico/Horror Molly an option to carve into (predominantly Arcanist) armoured models that you may or may not have been expecting. But the whole box is well worth getting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kogan Style said:

Crooligans can be used with Nicodem if you need to  move the crew quickly, as Mortimer can use the Crooligan as a target for Fresh Meat. 

Otherwise I feel that Necropunks win over Crooligans for scheme running. I've never taken advantage of the -1WP the Crooligans provide, and Seamus cannot directly take advantage of the reduced WP outside of the Mad Bomber build (which is: Redchapel Killer, Sinister Rep, and Corpse Bloat - create corpse markers to blow up which causes WP 15 duels which Sin. Rep makes effectively WP 16 and then Seamus heals off every unsuccessful test) 

Sinister Rep is a nice, passive ability but the Bag turns Seamus into a very competent Scheme runner. Fetid's Schemes 'n' Stones cast on it will explain it in more detail. I actually find that with Seamus operating as a lone wolf/scheme denier he isn't usually in a place to help his crew beneift from the WP reduction.

I don't think Val is the main reason to get the Transmortis box - its the Student of Steel. It offers Nico/Horror Molly an option to carve into (predominantly Arcanist) armoured models that you may or may not have been expecting. But the whole box is well worth getting.

But if you need to move the rest of your crew quickly with Fresh meat, you can run up a Necropunk/Canine/The Vulture as well and target it. Though I rarely use Fresh Meat on turn 1, as my typical Nico crew only has 1-3 Undead models at the start of the game (Izamu/Valedictorian, maybe a Belle and/or a Necropunk). I prefer to hire Mortimer with Corpse Bloat, either Izamu or the Valedictorian, maybe one scheme runner and a bunch of support models which I can't/don't want to summon (Nurse, Belles, Chiaki, Carrion Emissary) so ironically my Nico crews are rather low on models. At least at the start of turn 1. ;)

Versus Arcanists I tend to choose McMourning, so Armor does not worry me that much :P Still, the Valedictorian's and the Student's (0) Lecture notes ability can be quite handy against them to cancel all the annoying defensive triggers they typically have.

14 minutes ago, huntroll said:

But if you need to move the rest of your crew quickly with Fresh meat, you can run up a Necropunk/Canine/The Vulture as well and target it. Though I rarely use Fresh Meat on turn 1, as my typical Nico crew only has 1-3 Undead models at the start of the game (Izamu/Valedictorian, maybe a Belle and/or a Necropunk). I prefer to hire Mortimer with Corpse Bloat, either Izamu or the Valedictorian, maybe one scheme runner and a bunch of support models which I can't/don't want to summon (Nurse, Belles, Chiaki, Carrion Emissary) so ironically my Nico crews are rather low on models. At least at the start of turn 1. ;)

Versus Arcanists I tend to choose McMourning, so Armor does not worry me that much :P Still, the Valedictorian's and the Student's (0) Lecture notes ability can be quite handy against them to cancel all the annoying defensive triggers they typically have.

Thanks for the double quote but I don't think it helps the OP.

OP - Go for the Necropunks first, they will help each of your Masters in the Scheme Running department

If you go down the McM route you will probably need more Flesh Constructs and Canine Remains

Seamus - Bishop, Emissary (look for an Avatar Model - there are still a few about), Shikome 

Nicodem - Transmortis Box, Shikome, Hanged

1 hour ago, Kogan Style said:

Totally agree! Viscera is my fav to be honest; that 50mm base can do wonders when summoned in or slithering into place to block line of sight for things such as Aura's, summons and the like. All in all the box is a great addition and their great models for roleplay games and other things too. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kogan Style said:

Thanks for the double quote but I don't think it helps the OP.

OP - Go for the Necropunks first, they will help each of your Masters in the Scheme Running department

If you go down the McM route you will probably need more Flesh Constructs and Canine Remains

Seamus - Bishop, Emissary (look for an Avatar Model - there are still a few about), Shikome 

Nicodem - Transmortis Box, Shikome, Hanged

Thank the bad internet connection for the double quote :P

Good suggestions though, I'd add Rafkin and Guild autopsies to McMourning once they are released.

Well, I didn't expect to get so many great responses so thanks for that. Is there any worth in any other of the starter boxes? I also forgot that I have Tara as well but I cannot for the life of me figure her out. I've been looking at her cards often but i just don't get it. The main three starters that I have listed above seem to cover so much compared to the others in the faction. I know i could probably pick up the molly box for the crooligans and philip and the nanny though, that seems like another good purchase.

I think that I will get some necropunks, hanged and the transmortis box. I have to be sensible although I don't want to be, I tried with neverborn...then had everything in the faction within two weeks.

Depending on which master you play, Ressers can be expensive because you need more options, e.g. Nico and Molly, or they can be relatively cheap, e.g. Tara and Seamus. 

Transmortis pretty much goes with Molly and Nico. Of course, Tara can summon them through her henchmen, and you can always hire them, but the three students are meta pieces to play when needed, so they're usually not models you hire unless you know what you're up against.

I have had trouble hiring valedictorian. She's a strong piece to attack with, and a good tar pit, but in Ressers the henchmen tend to be utility pieces rather than born and bred killers, despite the lore and art.

Seamus and McMournings' boxes are the best bang for your buck usually, because they bring you multiple models that all the other masters can use in some way. Seamus gives you belles and Sybelle, hile McMourning brings you nurses, all of whom are key models in many crews.

Nico and Molly probably follow next in value, as Nico brings the popular punk zombie, a great summon for Nico and Molly, and Molly brings you crooligans and Phillip, the latter of which only comes in a starter at the moment.

From there, you have Yan Lo, Tara, and Kirai, whose box sets essentially bring you Chiaki, the Tara Crew, seishin, and onryo. Chiaki is a great meta/trick piece, and if you're running Seamus seishin are great when you eventually pick up Datsue-ba because they're a relatively cheap enabler for his back alley action.  Tara's box set doesn't play well with others compared to the above boxes, as she tends to import rather than export. Kirai is more of a spirit-centric master vs. Molly who can go horror or spirit, but Kirai, based on other posts, is one of the more powerful Resser masters.

tl;dr 1: buy the above boxes according to group if you want bang for your buck.

Since you already have some boxes, fleshing your current masters with enforcers may be better so you can get more fulfilling play out of them. Nico loves any undead, which is a lot, and the university plus hanged are good purchases as you'll get a variety of summons. For Nico I'd add an enforcer, which many take rogue necromancy for as you can run spare parts. For Seamus I'd pick up Yin--she's got a variety of actions that are good with Seamus and is pretty decent overall compared to most enforcers, and she works with Molly and Nico just fine. McM just requires more Flesh Constructs and canine remains as you'll likely summon 1-2 of either in a game as he kills things, and he could use some more poison models or just good hitters, i.e. either good movement to keep up with him or just hard hitting that can get in via belle lures. 

If you don't want to end up buying the whole faction, focus on undead/horrors for now and stay away from spirits. Ressers basically have spirits and undead/horrors (the crews that hire undead tend to have horrors and vice versa) for minion/enforcer choices, and you can keep yourself from buying everything by focusing on one, and the boxes you have now are more undead/horror focused.

The exception to the above are night terrors. I saw a post regarding how effective they are in reconnoiter, and by extension interference, and since trying it out I love them. I take 2 night terrors in any game with either of those strategies and that usually guarantees I control points for the strategy. They're 3SS costed minions that do little in the ways of killing things, but they have minor cast and range attack manipulation that can be useful and they count for strategies that care about minions, e.g. reconnoiter, interference, turf war, and extraction.

tl;dr 2: buy more undead and horror models to partially limit your purchases and some night terrors

As for crooligans, I tend to like them better than necropunks. If you check out Funeral Crashers, a podcast I'm on, our first episode discusses scheme runners, and we go over different thoughts and play styles with the common scheme runners. Any model can be a scheme runner, but crooligans, necropunks, etc. tend to be dedicated scheme runners with little to no other objectives. 

I don't like crooligans because I think they're better than necropunks for dropping multiple markers. That's just not true. However, crooligans can tie up pesky models for 4SS, e.g. the 7SS Nino, and they can move to and place markers in better locations. Necropunks can leap, but they move up to their Cg, so you have to factor height on terrain as well when leaping. Crooligans have a place within 5" after taking an interact action, so you can drop a marker on a high building out of LoS, scoring VP that your opponent can't do anything about or will have to spend significant resources to counter. Plus, they're 4SS, and you'll likely have an even number of SS in hiring unless you hired a normally summoned minion, so they can often fit in a crew fairly easily compared to the 5SS of a Necropunk--Masters are 0, totems are 3, you usually take 1-4 5SS models, an enforcer, almost all of whom are even costed when in faction, and your upgrades will likely result in making your end number even since you'll usually take a 3SS upgrade and make the choice on your last 1SS upgrade based on whether you want the crooligan, necropunk, or extra 5 SS in pool at game start. Doesn't always work out this way, but many of the models you will hire turn out this way and crooligans fit in slightly more easily when it's a decision between a model and upgrade vs one model. 

Also, barring you have line in the sand, you'll generally drop 4-5 markers the whole game between turns 1-5 to accomplish two schemes that require markers, ignoring the strategies since none of them require dropping scheme markers. Stake a Claim is the exception, and in this case a necropunk is hands down better if you can afford it. 

tl;dr 3: crooligans aren't as good as necropunks for dropping multiple scheme markers, but they offer premium marker placement and movement tricks and are likely better costed for your crew than necropunks.

Yea I went to the local and picked up yin. Follwing all your wonderful advice i'm going to run seamus for a while. He seems to be pretty decent in the majority of strats and schemes. I've listened to the podcast on schemes and stones a few times while attempting to fall asleep and have picked up quite a bit from that (thanks Fetid Strumpet). It looks as though i can run belles as my scheme runners for a little while to get the hang of them because they are so key in the faction. I did like the look of kirai, but i figured that would be spreading myself too thin, so Seamus it is for now.

If you're planning to focus on Seamus, you may want to consider picking up dead doxies since they've come out in plastic. Seamus, barring upgrades, can only summon 2 models right now: (1) rotten belles; and (2) dead doxies. Doxies are an alternative manipulation piece with slightly more resilient defensive stats, slightly better melee, and a neat on death ability.

I rarely hire them because they're 6SS and I prefer the 18" lure from belles, but they're great summons in certain situations as they can eject themselves and another model from combat or push themselves to combat and an enemy/friendly model to a more ideal position. They also have the pounce ability just as belles do, so putting them as part of a belle bomb or luring into them means you get a free melee attack.

A lot of people pick up Seamus as one of their initial masters, and many of those people post here. It won't take long to go through and find plenty of literature on how to play this guy, and he's got different options of building crews, as he'll likely be one of your main scheme runners most games, allowing you to build up the rest of your crew to accomplishing the strategy and messing with your opponent's plans.

I have some old metal belles that i plan on using as doxies in the meantime. My local doesnt have a date for doxies yet. I'm going to be playing my first games in about 4 months tomorrow, and ill be taking a rather limited pool of models, the stuff that i mentioned in the original post. There are a few things that I want to try tomorrow, fetid strumpet mentioned the mad bomber seamus...that is very interesting

So i have my first game yesterday against guild. The strategy was Turf War and the schemes were ALITS, Power Ritual, Make Them Suffer, Breakthrough and Bodyguard. Deployment was Corner deployment.

I took:

Seamus - Sinister Rep, Mad Haberdasher, Red Chapel Killer

Sybelle - Not to banged up, bleeding tongue?(the weapon upgrade one)

Yin - (decaying aura? - where you take 2 damage if you start and end in melee)

3x belles

1 Nurse

Copycat Killer

He took - not 100% on upgrades: Schemes - Power Ritual, Make Them Suffer

Sonnia - definately had reincarnation

Francisco - hard to kill upgrade

Papa Loco

Death Marshall

Austringer

Watcher? ( the flying mech thing)

Malifaux child

Pathfinder

Brutal Effigy

1st turn: I didn't realise that Sonnia had a 3inch counterspell aura, that pretty much nulified most of my lure tricks. I made a mistake picking the side and didnt take the one that had a wall sitting close to the turf war marker. I did the first turn move up deal, luring up Yin so i could stick her in the forest on his side of the board when she moved. I wanted to use her to stop him dropping his power ritual marker then pushing her into his back lines near the turf war marker. He moved his watcher up to attempt to drop a marker on the second turn but I was able to get the jump on him with seamus and kill it outright, I decided that was the best thing to do with seamus to deny him the ability to drop the marker then harrass my support pieces, I knew it wouldnt score me a point on the scheme but it was worth it. He managed to use francisco to pull sonnia forward and park her behind the wall, which was a perfect point for her to blast yin to bits he got her down to one wound including burning at the end of the turn.

2nd Turn: He won initiative and was able to finish off yin then blast one of my belles that was in the turf war range to bits. At this point i knew there was not much that I could do to get her out from that bit of cover. Second turn was very uneventful, everything he had was sitting in that aura and I had moved my nurse to the corner so i could drop my marker the next turn and managed to bring the pathfinder down to half heath then red joker the damage on the CCK to kill him, netting me my first point in make them suffer. Everything else moved up to attempt to score on the strategy but was the austringer was able to shoot down the belle leaving me with only sybelle at the end of it.

3rd turn: I was able to drop my marker for power ritual and have my nurse move up to support seamus. I was able to kill the brutal effigy with seamus and score my other point. Sonnia blew up the rest of my other flank, and managed to kill the CCK spawning a witchling stalker. Turn was uneventful otherwise. I'm on tilt at this point.

4th Turn: I managed to get seamus into the witchling stalker and score my final point, I used my last ap to back alley to the scheme marker near the nurse who accomplised to heal him up to full. he moved his death marshall over and dropped his other pwoer ritual marker. Game ended at this point. 10 - 6 to him.

How do I deal with guild? This crew was a literal hard counter to mine. The strategy definately played against me in this game too, along with a poor choice on table sides. Everytime i have played guild it has ended like this, the amount of damage that they do is wild. At no point did I feel as though I could make use of most of the abilities of my crew.

Help me resser gurus, fill me with you wisdom

Alot of Seamus is about setting up to take advantage of his auras and use the belles to pull your models into/out of danger and theirs into danger or off markers, while also applying slow if needed. 

Alot of the issue can come down to how you deployed and used the models. I tend to keep Yin back a bit when I field her, as she is a high priority target. An opposing shooty crew will attempt to take her out early, as the longer she is on the field, the more they have to fear her really mucking with their crew. Ideally you'll lure models you dont want to shoot with Seamus up next to her so they cant leave her grasp. Makes Unnerving Aura/Necrotic Preperation really fun with her. 

Seamus also isnt amazing at Turf War, since his gun randomizes into engagements. He's best in things like Retconnier and Headhunter. Not that he cant do it, but it means your belles and support need to be in the thick of it, and he needs to pick off their support from the sides/back. 

He's easy to learn, hard to master. It seems your opponent might have known you were bringing Seamus and tech'd hard against you. I cant really say, I've only played Guild once. 

Dont get discouraged! Most importantly :)

Yea in hindsight, i think i should of kept her back then pushed her into the middle and attempted to make use of his -2 WP aura. I think i should of built seamus differently, I didn't realise that sonnia couldn't cast in melee. If i had known i would of gone the bag route and tried to tie her up. I had the hat as an insurance policy. I agree that I probably should of played someone else taking the strategy into account. maybe mcmourning?