Through the Breach FAQ and Errata (1/5/16)

Mason

Hey everyone!

Here's the new FAQ and Errata Document for Through the Breach.

(4/27/16 - Link removed due to FAQ being updated in another thread)

There weren't many changes this time around, just a clarification on the Paired Weapons Talent (Fated Almanac), an errata on when the Burning and Poison Conditions resolve, and an errata to the Fire Immuto capping it at a maximum of Burning +3.

If you have any questions that aren't covered in this document, please post them here and I'll take a look at them when it's time to update the FAQ.  Thanks!

• Mason pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2016 at 8:13 AM, War Disciple said:

If an Ongoing Challenge is made during Dramatic Time, can characters take Focus Actions to add :+fate to the flips?

That seems generally fine, depending upon the specific Ongoing Challenge and its rules. If you're writing an Ongoing Challenge that takes place during Dramatic Time, it would be worth noting how many AP the Fated have to spend on the Use Skill Action (which is probably the Action they're taking to participate in the Ongoing Challenge). By default, the Action takes 2 AP, but it notes that it might sometimes only take 1 AP, depending upon the circumstances.

In general, I would probably avoid having too many Ongoing Challenges during Dramatic Time.

As a general reminder to everyone, note that characters can't take the Focus Action outside of Dramatic Time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had a question about the Infiltrator from Into the Steam. The talent 'From the Shadows' states that you gain an additional turn after the Initiative flip for each instance of this talent that she possesses. However, in the Pursuit Talent box on the first page there is no other step that has 'From the Shadows' as an option. Was this simply a typo or was there to be another step that had this talent in it?

12 hours ago, Tyken12 said:

Had a question about the Infiltrator from Into the Steam. The talent 'From the Shadows' states that you gain an additional turn after the Initiative flip for each instance of this talent that she possesses. However, in the Pursuit Talent box on the first page there is no other step that has 'From the Shadows' as an option. Was this simply a typo or was there to be another step that had this talent in it?

The character might possess the From the Shadows Talent from another Pursuit (such as the December Acolyte Advanced Pursuit).

8 minutes ago, WalkingInBlack said:

I have a question about the Bully pursuit, in the Monday Preview it is shown that the Bully has 0-10 talents instead of the normal 1-10, was that a error or is that something new??

Pursuits in expansion books have 0 level talents.

6 minutes ago, WalkingInBlack said:

I have a question about the Bully pursuit, in the Monday Preview it is shown that the Bully has 0-10 talents instead of the normal 1-10, was that a error or is that something new??

Into the Steam and Under Quarantine both have Pursuits with step 0 Talents.

These are Talents that the character gains as soon as they take up the Pursuit, instead of at the end of the session.

This was done to make certain that characters had a reason for choosing a given pursuit at the start of a session, as it gives them an immediate bonus instead of rewarding them at the end of the session. If the adventure involves beating people up to get information, we wanted to make sure that a player who chose to be a Bully for that session gained an advantage for making that choice.

For instance, after the prologue, Aaron decides to become a Bully. He immediately gains the Terrorize Talent and can use it freely for the rest of the session. At the end of the session, he advances one rank in the Bully pursuit and gains his choice of either Leave a Mark or Frozen in Terror for completing the first step of the Bully pursuit.

2 minutes ago, Mason said:

For instance, after the prologue, Aaron decides to become a Bully. He immediately gains the Terrorize Talent and can use it freely for the rest of the session. At the end of the session, he advances one rank in the Bully pursuit and gains his choice of either Leave a Mark or Frozen in Terror for completing the first step of the Bully pursuit.

By "prologue," Mason means punching in to work, and by the rest of the session he means working with me all day.

11 minutes ago, Aaron said:

By "prologue," Mason means punching in to work, and by the rest of the session he means working with me all day.

By "working with me," Aaron means "quietly sips at a tall glass of whiskey and tries to ignore me as much as possible."

So the 0 talent is permanent or just when you are on the pursuit?

I'm also having some issue finding where the information on being a Stitched and Invested is, as I don't a photographic memory and there is no mention of them in any of the indexes of the books I have no clue where to look and it seem to be important as its mentioned many times in the Under Quarantine book, it would have ben nice if there was a reference to the book and page where that information could be found, is it just a "can't see the tree for the forrest" kind of thing or something?

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

All of the Stitched and Invested stuff is in character creation, as those are the times you can become those things.

Note that characters can also become Stitched over the course of play, typically by dying and then returning to (un)life. This is described in a call out box on page 63 of Under Quarantine.

Just now, WalkingInBlack said:

Core rule book I presume?

The rules to create Invested characters are described in Into the Steam, while the rules for Stitched are in Under Quarantine.

6 minutes ago, WalkingInBlack said:

I'm also having some issue finding where the information on being a Stitched and Invested is, as I don't a photographic memory and there is no mention of them in any of the indexes of the books I have no clue where to look and it seem to be important as its mentioned many times in the Under Quarantine book, it would have ben nice if there was a reference to the book and page where that information could be found, is it just a "can't see the tree for the forrest" kind of thing or something?

The entirety of Chapter character creation chapter - Digging up the Past - deals with Stitched characters and all the relevant information for them.

• 2 weeks later...

The Inscription Talent (p123 of Into the Steam) allows a character to add two Magia or Immuto (or one of each) to a Grimoire in her possession.

So, Arcanist Abe gets this Talent and adds two items to his Grimoire.  Abe cannot alter this particular Grimoire any further with his Inscription Talent.  However, could Abe give is Grimoire to Arcanist Betty, who also has Inscription, to add another two items? 

I know how I would rule this as a Fatemaster (I'd allow it, but only to a limited extent and somehow cap the number of times a Grimoire can be altered in this fashion) but I'd like to know the "official" thought on the potential to grow Grimoires.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, War Disciple said:

The Inscription Talent (p123 of Into the Steam) allows a character to add two Magia or Immuto (or one of each) to a Grimoire in her possession.

So, Arcanist Abe gets this Talent and adds two items to his Grimoire.  Abe cannot alter this particular Grimoire any further with his Inscription Talent.  However, could Abe give is Grimoire to Arcanist Betty, who also has Inscription, to add another two items?

Totes legit.

However, a Grimoire that's packed with a dozen Magia and Immuto is quite a tempting prize to people interested in such things...

• Like 1