Hello from Jacksonville, FL. Starting Malifaux...

eckostate

Hello from Jacksonville, Florida! Somewhere around here I hope to find a place to play some mini wargames, I know there's an awesome community behind every one.

like a lot of people who come here, I'm new, newer than new to mini wargaming and Malifaux. I want to branch out and play something more than X-Wing. So I am seeing what Malifaux is and has to offer.

looking to pick up a starter box of one of the following:

Ten Thunders

Hired Swords

The Guild's Judgement

Im looking into them all (to determine one to buy) as today marks my first day of research (hints why I am here) so what would be the best for each starter in terms of extra models to get to reach the standard 50 points? And maybe the pros and cons of each...

Sorry this post might require a bit of a long answer but Im trying to learn as I progress through all the information available. 

Hi and welcome to the steep end of the curve when it comes to assembling your own minis. There is no hurry in buying your extra box because you will be spending a decent amount of time putting that first crew box together. I am very lucky to have someone good at assembling minis in-house so to speak but he has started to hand off the 'easy' models to me*. Along with a bottle of very liquid plastic cement ('plastruct' is the kind in use here although I know now I would have liked a smaller bottle with a very thin dropper spout instead of a brush) and an x-acto knife and lessons on how to use the unsharpened side of the blade to scrape off the mold lines after the pieces are cut off of the sprue** and how to test fit the pieces while they are still dry and shave off teeny amounts of plastic for better fit***. And a little dropper bottle of brush-on surface primer because I dislike the stink of aerosols even though everyone else will say spray primer is faster and easier, and a medium size but good quality brush with which to apply it, which brush is still too large for the details. Painting lessons are still waiting for the primer to dry.

No question that you want to smash face with those choices. The next things to buy will be things which do not smash face but do other jobs instead. I hand that question over to the experienced players...

*A week or two after I asked about the progress on the assembly and basing of Howard Langston. (waits for the snickering to die out) Not one you personally need to look into as 1: you cannot hire him, 2: he also smashes face and you will not need the help.

**When the pieces come out of the box attached to a grid ready to be cut away, that grid is called the sprue. No idea where the word came from.

***Actually, just go to GMorts Chaotica blog. He is a godsend with detailed notes on the assembly of very nearly every plastic Malifaux mini you could want. Has already saved me from one moment of "omg I broke it" panic. Apparently everyone breaks that particular 'it' and just glues it back on, stronger.

• Like 1

Thank you! I'll give that site a go. I come from painted X-wing models so no sprue, glue or painting involved. So I'm new to everything on the hobby side of Malifaux. 

I looked into a few suggestions on what to get next (going with hired swords) and I got  Vanessa, Hodgepodge Effigy, Johana? (The girl version of Johan) <spell check on the names> and none seemed ranged. I'm wondering if my crew having no ranged is a bad thing and hurt me in the long run. 

Any suggestions on ranged fighters? (Preferably girl models since it appears this is turning out to be an all girl crew) but I'll hire anyone at the end of the day lol thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...