December 21 - Stitched Together

Lucidicide

Since I don't own the metals I don't have a huge issue with 2/3 of them being the same sculpt.  Though... I have been plotting on snagging the old metal versions for models which can be fielded in greater numbers if I ever feel like experimenting, so for that purpose I do wish all three of these would be fresh and new.

• Like 1

On December 24, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Math Mathonwy said:

I don't quite understand the cheering since these look the same as the metals. Am I missing something here? I mean, sure, there's a third one, and yeah, they are nice enough but I'm honestly wondering if I'm missing something.

The only way I would have bought this set is if all sculpts were different. I didn't expect a third oogie and I actually did expect this to be one of the "updated but practially the same" models - like the Widow Weaver or Rat Catchers - since these are iconic from 1st.

NBD though - If I didn't already have 4 I would have bought these for sure but not worth it if you have the metals IMO. Betcha the detail on the metals are a lot deeper than these will be, as well. Still look good, though - the new third sculpt is my least favorite.

• Like 1

Some can say classic of 1.5, but I feel more like a slap in the face of older fans. I mean, I understand remaking some of the older models, but give people who have been playing this game for more than 4 years a reason to buy. Many models seem to be falling into this group so far, just plastic copies of the metal, which is great for someone that never got the metals but not so much for the person that already has two copies. I have said it before and it is true of some of the book 2 models, it just feels lazy. 

And contact points, dear lord. Is anyone working a Wyrd a gamer at all? Do they know people have to transport these models? 

That's like a never can win argument though? Like, they keep the old designs, they're lazy. They change them, it's "why did you change a good model". The original Stitched were very good sculpts, why go for something different just for the sake of it when this works just fine?

Re: Contact points; pinning your models helps a lot.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Astrella said:

That's like a never can win argument though? Like, they keep the old designs, they're lazy. They change them, it's "why did you change a good model". The original Stitched were very good sculpts, why go for something different just for the sake of it when this works just fine?

They could've varied the poses a bit, at least.

But OTOH if someone already has four of the metal ones, I'm not sure why they should be buying three more.

5 hours ago, Astrella said:

Re: Contact points; pinning your models helps a lot.

That third one looks like it would be really difficult to pin.

3 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

They could've varied the poses a bit, at least.

But OTOH if someone already has four of the metal ones, I'm not sure why they should be buying three more.

Then don't buy them? I'm flabbergasted that being "too similar to the metals" is now a complaint when this isn't a crew box with a new profile. And even if they are the same design, they'll still probably be a step up compared to the metal, at least with the onryo which are very similar it certainly was. If that is compelling, go for it, if not, keep what you have, no biggie.

As for lordzombie's slap to the face, by god man just chill, calling it a slap to the face to veterans seems like the overdramatic reactions of a teenager. Ok, you hoped to change your stuff, but won't do it, fine, but don't turn it around and make it sound like an affront to your honor.

• Like 3

Just now, Razhem said:

Then don't buy them? I'm flabbergasted that being "too similar to the metals" is now a complaint when this isn't a crew box with a new profile. And even if they are the same design, they'll still probably be a step up compared to the metal, at least with the onryo which are very similar it certainly was. If that is compelling, go for it, if not, keep what you have, no biggie.

Are you sure you quoted the correct person? Because I was saying that if you have the metals, I don't understand why you would need more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Razhem said:

As for lordzombie's slap to the face, by god man just chill, calling it a slap to the face to veterans seems like the overdramatic reactions of a teenager. Ok, you hoped to change your stuff, but won't do it, fine, but don't turn it around and make it sound like an affront to your honor.

Well, you got more post that me, so you must be right. I will go back to playing COD on my PS4 and wishing my parents were not so lame and other teen drama. 

16 hours ago, LordZombie said:

Some can say classic of 1.5, but I feel more like a slap in the face of older fans. I mean, I understand remaking some of the older models, but give people who have been playing this game for more than 4 years a reason to buy. Many models seem to be falling into this group so far, just plastic copies of the metal, which is great for someone that never got the metals but not so much for the person that already has two copies. I have said it before and it is true of some of the book 2 models, it just feels lazy. 

This is an incredibly bizarre complaint.  "The plastic model looks like the metal model, so I have no reason to buy it."  That's not even a reason to complain.  That's a reason to go "Yay, my model is already assembled and painted.  I can spend my money on models I don't already own."

And, if you're actually just complaining that Wyrd is remaking all of the metal models in plastic... 

• Like 1

Guys, I'm on vacation. Play nice :-P

I'm sorry if you're unhappy with the sculpts for reason x, y, or z. We always try to make the right call, but the right call is different for different people. Hopefully you're overall satisfied, and we appreciate feedback.

Just make sure we're focusing on how Wyrd messed up the sculpts ;) Leave the criticism off of other posters.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2015 at 2:48 PM, Tawg said:

You can just paint on burlap texture with a little bit of subtle color shift and cross hatching :)

But yeah, obligatory Oogie Boogie comment, +like, yadda yadda.

Do the good work Wyrd, some of the finest models on the market as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I was considering that as a possibility. I'm an okay painter, not a great one, so I may have to practice some before the actual models come in. Honestly, the desire for the texture was more out of my need to be lazy and efficient. Would have been great to drybrush quickly and be done. I'll be good with them.  Gonna have fun painting those guts!

Even if I don't end up going with a burlap look, they still look great. I only got into Malifaux about a year ago, so I never had a chance to get the metal models (also, I'm just more comfortable with plastic). No complaints on this end as I'm happy they're coming back out.

On 12/26/2015 at 2:07 AM, Math Mathonwy said:

The bit of ground that he's standing on looks like it might be an okay contact point. At the worst, you could probably carefully drill at a little bit of an angle if you feel the need to pin it.

I generally don't pin my models. I'm just super careful with how I transport. After a year with Malifaux, I haven't had a problem yet.

@BewareTheYalcrab - "After a year with Malifaux, I haven't had a problem yet." - Oof, that's like saying it's been a quiet shift before you get home! I hope that doesn't come back to haunt you!

I'm a huge fan of pinning models. I did have the same reaction though: All three have tiny contact points and may be challenging to get a paperclip sized pin into. If people don't have one yet, a good set of pin drills from a hardware store like Lee Valley (or better ones from model suppliers) plus modeling wire (much thinner usually, slightly less durable sadly) and you can pin almost anything.

I just don't understand how anyone can be upset with these type of posts and bashing Wyrd designers because you didnt get what you wanted...

If you don't like a model, proxy something in or shush... Bashing the company and pretending like they're personally attacking you, is comical and childish. We're lucky they're still even taking the initiative to do these types of sculpts and such. They could be doing much worse things with their time, and things that actually directly target our wallets and offend the Malifaux player base. Look at PP, GW and other manufacturers. Everything they do is a money grab and worse for the gamer. Any remember 40k removing an entire faction? WHFB Nuke? PP moving to all PVC? Constantly releasing bigger more expensive MUST HAVE models and then banning them from Tourney play.

Good work, Wyrd. Keep it up.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2015 at 3:08 AM, Clawz said:

@BewareTheYalcrab - "After a year with Malifaux, I haven't had a problem yet." - Oof, that's like saying it's been a quiet shift before you get home! I hope that doesn't come back to haunt you!

I'm a huge fan of pinning models. I did have the same reaction though: All three have tiny contact points and may be challenging to get a paperclip sized pin into. If people don't have one yet, a good set of pin drills from a hardware store like Lee Valley (or better ones from model suppliers) plus modeling wire (much thinner usually, slightly less durable sadly) and you can pin almost anything.

Heh, after I posted I thought to myself: Now how long until something breaks and I get to stick my foot into my mouth.  Luckily, everything's still fine.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...