December 7th - Spawn Mother & Gupps

Lucidicide

Little baby Land of the Lost Sleestack? That's a win in my book, even if it does show my age.

And I'm pretty sure what mom is doing is something along the lines of "If one of you tracks slime onto my freshly washed floor, it'll be the last thing you do!"

Also, I like the sculpt, but now I want to change my Miss Model vote to a male Spawn Mother, Mrs. Doubtfire.

I feel ya man... 

brings back memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Qehtte0bQ

Edited by EngineerJeff
  • Like 1

The pose on the Spawn mother is quite stupid, What's that supposed to represent? 

On the Gupps, I get the left one and it's okay. But why are they doing "wastrel" poses with the knuck crackling and the beat up stick? Ugh. Why aren't Silurids doing such things? Oh right they're Swampfiends.. No wait.. 

I am quite glad all these renders lately are just plain boring / make no sense / are just idiotic. It saves me a ton of money on other gaming systems. 

Ashes and Dust was good though, but that's the only one lately, well Rooster Riders were pretty damn nice too but apart from that it's a swing and a miss after another one. 

• Like 2

Spawn mother is hailing a cab. These models are alright. Well she was trying to, but it just drove past.  You can see the "oh, wait, never mind" look on her face. 

Ahhh, this explains it. I was wondering what this was all about.

But look, seriously. Those Gupps... Awww, so cute. Sweet little face-eaters.

The mother reminds me of some underwater vampire/fishman from a swamp thing comic I once read, which I consider a good thing.

Obviously she's striking at something but it's hard to judge in those renders how bend/outstretched the arm is so judgement on the pose has to wait till I see another angle.

I love the gupps, and the spawn mother looks pretty good, although it's difficult to picture what the pose will be like in 3d. I have a feeling she'll look a lot better as the actual model than she does in the render (more hunched over, reaching out to grab/slash some unfortunate prey). Sadly I think Wyrd's decision to not put pics of the actual models on the packaging or on their web site may come back to bite them on the rear for this one.

The pose on the Spawn mother is quite stupid, What's that supposed to represent? 

On the Gupps, I get the left one and it's okay. But why are they doing "wastrel" poses with the knuck crackling and the beat up stick? Ugh. Why aren't Silurids doing such things? Oh right they're Swampfiends.. No wait.. 

I am quite glad all these renders lately are just plain boring / make no sense / are just idiotic. It saves me a ton of money on other gaming systems. 

Ashes and Dust was good though, but that's the only one lately, well Rooster Riders were pretty damn nice too but apart from that it's a swing and a miss after another one. 

I kind of felt like lately the poses and general feel of Malifaux is going from less "badass or horrific" to more "goofy/funny/silly" which I am not a big fan of - but then A&D still feels scary and every once in a while we get a model like the Changeling, so its hard to say.

At the very least, I'd like to see "goofy" stay firmly within the realm of gremlins and not leech out into other factions unless specifically called for (fermented monks - but then even those have a good balance of goofy vs badass).

Silly cute minis and ones that are really plain or boring or maybe just too static are just not for me. ;) 

I don't know, I just don't see the gupps as being that goofy/silly, definitely not gremlin level goofy/silly. Splash a little blood on them, have them standing on the remains of their last meal, I think it shouldn't be too hard to make them look pretty horrific. Besides, there's only so much you can do with baby fish people. I also don't get the boring/static comments. They do have plenty of movement to them as far as I can see, at least they're not standing rigid with their arms by their sides. Any more movement and they'd look like they were dancing. Does anyone honestly think dancing baby fish people are going to be any better?  You also have to consider that three of them have to fit onto a base, which will limit how dynamic their poses can be.

• Like 2

Gupps are amazing really, they did a good job; I don't like the spawn mother, quite disappointed. I was expecting a fatty silurid with a big belly and a crouched pose, something like a protective attitude towards her spawn...in this pose seems she's waving at the gupps leaving the nest

Isn't that what she does on the table though?  Just wave Gupps out of sacs and watch them jump away?  It's not like they terribly stick together or anything :P

But those gupps are adorable yet menacing.  They are amazing.  The Mother is a bit durp, but I get a real Angler Fish feel from her, and that spells terror (Of the deep). 

Gupps are amazing really, they did a good job; I don't like the spawn mother, quite disappointed. I was expecting a fatty silurid with a big belly and a crouched pose, something like a protective attitude towards her spawn...in this pose seems she's waving at the gupps leaving the nest

Isn't that what she does on the table though?  Just wave Gupps out of sacs and watch them jump away?  It's not like they terribly stick together or anything :P

yagpxp10.png

Edited by Uruk