Arcane Reservoir (the podcast)

Psientologist

Excellent podcast!  Love the depth of analysis.  

All the guests are great, but my favorite guest is James Doxey.  I have listened to almost all the main Malifaux podcasts and I doubt any player out there has a better understanding of the game than Mr. Doxey.

Feedback: Would love to hear more battle reports from the top UK players.  I enjoy how the Max Value podcast guys talk about each of their tournament games in depth, and it provides a nice window into how great players think about the game while they are playing.  Contextual situations, where they debate in their heads how to act given the models in front of them, schemes, cards in hand, etc.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 04/05/2017 at 8:29 PM, Franchute said:

So, I've heard you twice telling you played your standard Sandeep list and I dont know where to get the list. Would it be possible to know what it contains exactly? Thanks :)

No problem:

Sandeep, Arcane Reservoir, (summoning upgrade), Enlightened Soul, full cache of 7,
Arcane Effigy,
3 Wind Gamin,
Malifaux Raptor,
Carlos, Practiced Production, Stunt Double,
Howard Langston, Imbued Energies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Psientologist said:

No problem:

Sandeep, Arcane Reservoir, (summoning upgrade), Enlightened Soul, full cache of 7,
Arcane Effigy,
3 Wind Gamin,
Malifaux Raptor,
Carlos, Practiced Production, Stunt Double,
Howard Langston, Imbued Energies.

Thanks a lot. May I ask why you consider three wind gamins? Is it just to summon Banasuva more easily? Or is there something else?

(I also understand they are useful for several schemes and strat).

1 hour ago, Franchute said:

Thanks a lot. May I ask why you consider three wind gamins? Is it just to summon Banasuva more easily? Or is there something else?

(I also understand they are useful for several schemes and strat).

More the latter as honestly Banasuva doesn't come out too much.

At 4ss they are cheap little scheme runners and the fact they don't count for certain strategies and schemes is just too good to pass on.
There are some other equally cheap and decent minions in Arcanists but none of them have any extra synergy with Sandeep.

I know a lot of people have been playing a trio of Mages, but that doesn't quite fit in the list without dropping the effigy or bird.
Perhaps that is a better way to go, but I haven't had as much success with the mages and the initial model count increase also helps the crew.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still terrible at keeping up with this thread.

+48 A Moo Hope

I'm joined by Luke Cocksedge and winner or the event Cow Wars 4 Conor McNama. A classic tournament report show, with some crazy Neverborn lists and a highly competitive Gremlin one (plus the usual Sandeep filth).

Accompanying +48

Go check out Pete and Colin's Malifaux podcast  as they also report on this event and you can see a game from the other side.

+49 International Incident

I'm joined again by Luke but also James as they chat through their time at the Malifaux International Team Competition (ITC) and we also discuss the very rough draft of next year's pack and what we'd like to see.

Accompanying +49

Please check out arcanereservoir.com for match ups and team spotlights and I also suggest if you haven't already to listen to Max Value as they go through their tournament experience too as well as seeing one round from the other side of the table.

+50 Is out this coming Thursday, it'll be a bumper episode with 4 guests and we're going to go over a topic that we haven't touched for more than 40 shows.

Accompanying +50

Check out arcanereservoir.com and the "READ" section as there will be blogs leading up to this milestone.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the latest episode on the henchmen! Great analysis by all the guests, as always.  

Suggest an alternate name for the episode: "Ben and Carlos take on the world" ;)

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but ranking episodes can be fun from time to time; perhaps another episode ranking enforcers again, then maybe minions or upgrades?

• Like 2

+50 is out!

Lots of debating, lots of people being wrong that aren't me (obvz) and a lot of laughs.

One day we will go back to the Enforcers and one day ONE DAY we'll do mercenaries.

+51 is out tomorrow.

This episode Jamie and Tim join me to chat stuff from +40 (New Year Resolutions) as well as more reflection of the half year of Malifaux so far.
We also have a few "controversial" rants and Jamie has a big announcement (which you may have already seen).

Today's post comes with one more thing...

What would you like to see from Arcane Reservoir? What would make you donate to the Patreon (or increase your pledge)?

What you'd like to see from AR includes what you'd like to be covered on the podcast, how you'd like it done (length, release, guests etc.) ANYTHING!
As well as this, what sort of blogs on the site, what else you'd like on it!

Your Feedback is IMPORTANT  to me.
Anything you say cannot be bad, at worst it's something I will silently acknowledge.
:D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really need to get better and checking this.

+52 +53 +54 All part of GT "Month"

Starts with the English GT where I'm joined by Tim and Josh, 5 rounds of great Malifaux with one of us getting a podium position and one of us missing by 1 VP.

Next is the Welsh GT where I'm joined by Luke and Martin, one of which wins the event the other also misses a podium position by just 1 VP.
Recorded and put out in a day with some audio issues, worst quality than normal and I apologise.

Lastly is the largest and best, the Scottish GT, I'm joined by a band of Kai, Jamie, Dave, Joe and Steve as we discuss all the highlights.
Unfortunately being recorded live and in person this show isn't as good quality as usual, not unbearable but not the level I tend to aim for. 

Next is +55

First off, the quality will be back to normal, we'll be discussing all the goings on, GenCon, Errata, one of my guests won one of the GTs but to finish it off as it'll be
Arcane Reservoir's SECOND BIRTHDAY
We'll be doing some Q&A.

To submit questions, I'd advise to either tweet @arcanereservoir or go to the Facebook post and reply to that as, let's be honest, I'm terrible at keeping up with this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Three shows since I've updated

+55 The 2nd Birthday, as previously mentioned included GenCon and Errata chat, some personal tales from tournaments and big ol' Q&A session.

Wave 5 is here so:
+56 Broken Neverborn Joined by 3 veteran Neverborn players including the current top Neverborn player in the UK, we discuss all the models in the purple section, briefly chat about the ones that are hireable from else where and all the Neverborn Masters upgrades.

+57 Broken Thunders Joined by two of the UK's top 10T players as with the previous show all the Thunders relevant stuff is discussed.

Next will be +58 Broken Guild, most likely followed by +59 Broken Arcanists.
I've tried to make sure AR has had a mix of new and old guests for these, some fresh views are always welcomed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/10/2017 at 6:53 AM, Drunken Kung Fu Kid said:

AHHHHH.. I can't wait for the other factions in AR. Your podcast is great!

Thank you ever so much. Speaking of which...
+58 Broken Guild and +59 Broken Arcanists are out now,
In Guild we have two lovely Scottish chaps and on Arcanists we have three guests including the UK no.3.
+60 will have Broken Gremlins

with the following two episodes being the Rezers and Outcasts.
There is even more on the horizon, including a show done live on Twitch in December. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

+60, 61 and 62 are all out and are Broken Gremlins, Resurrectionists and Outcasts.

Also AR LIVE +1 is on https://www.twitch.tv/psientologist and in pure audio form (slightly cleaner) in the usual podcast feed.
Please if you would, follow the Twitch channel, it costs you just a tiny amount of time and would help me out massively.

Also speaking of being helped. 
https://www.patreon.com/ArcaneReservoir
Has been updated, tiers edited, goals added. Please go check it out and if you're an avid listener and have a few bucks spare, why not back it?

Lastly AR LIVE +2 will be on December 6th roughly 19:30 GMT (check AR's Twitter and FB nearer the time for updates) and will be the UK Masters Draw.
For those unaware, the top 16 players of the Malifaux UK Rankings compete in a two day event early January.
Four groups of four play it out on the Saturday with the top 2 of each going through to the Sunday bracket. Find out more about who and what has been doing well over the 2016 season and who (and again what) we think is most likely to continue to do well and possibly take the crown.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

*A New Record.*

I knew it had been a while since I updated this thread but wow, not touched in 2018. Better remedy that.

AR LIVE +2 This show was as previously stated the draw for the 2017 UK Masters groups, old news now but maybe interesting to go back and see exactly what we thought would go down.

+63 Raw Tim and I chat about the Masters draw and I give my literal first impressions of GG18 reading the final draft document for the first time. 

+64 Year Three As is tradition now I'm joined by Tim and Malifaux Rankings/Bag-O-Tools co-creator Jamie to chat about how the year (2017) went and what our goals are for 2018.

+65 AKA AR LIVE +3 So the live shows, for now become not separate but an occasional replacement, they're fun to do, interact with but also can help get a show out on time if there's been a lack of it for editing etc.
This one was an emergency recording as the non-live 65 was buggered for lack of a better word.
Tim is back (as always <3) and joining us is Joe to chat ERRATA :o

+66 AMA I'm Lonely A solo show (Christmas/New Years causes troubles it seems) where I do a Q&A/AMA via questions given to me via @arcanereservoir on twitter and Facebook.com/arcanereservoir.

+67 Dread Pirate Master *spoilers* if you are catching up, but I'm joined by the winner and current UK Malifaux Master to go over the games and the weekend event. Very insightful stuff.

+68 Woe I get good friend and Welsh GT TO Luke on the show to talk about a new and popular list which at the time has gotten him a lot of success. Summoning Pandora.

+69 Nice Tim and Josh come on to tell me all about Bonescon, their games and everything else I missed.

+70 Egg Tim (the best co-host I could ask for) joins me as we do a classic tournament review of Haul of Eggs 6

+71 Dragons (AKA AR LIVE+4) Another tournament report but a biggy, with Tim and Luke. 2 Days of great fun and to this date my favourite event of 2018.

+72 Surprise? Released yesterday as I type this, Tim and I talk about what has surprised us for better or worst from Broken Promises in comparison to our initial reactions from 7 months back.

Apologies for the big post. As always, please follow the pod on twitter, facebook and twitch.tv/psientologist for live stuff (warning I play video games on it too).
Also if you've been enjoying the show a lot and would like to chip in to help me out, check out my patreon Patreon.com/ArcaneReservoir.
Soon there will be some sweet new t shirts too, I'll endeavour to remember to put them here too.

• Like 1