Arcane Reservoir (the podcast)

Psientologist

• 1 month later...

Apologies for totally neglecting this thread. The podcast has continued strong, and the latest show was the first to miss my self-enforced deadline (by an hour or 2).

We're in the thirties!

+31, 32 and 33 Thunders, Guild, Arcanists.
These three shows continue the Ripples of fate analysis and discussions. 
The Thunders show I am joined by two top Thunders players (both currently qualified for UK masters), Guild Paul (from the Thunders show) comes back along with Matt who between them were and are the top Guild player in the UK (the change is partly thanks to Nellie) and lastly (Thursday just gone) I was joined by "MythicFOX" the former best Arcanist and current best Arcanist George to discuss Sandeep and co. 

+34 will not be a Ripples of Fate show as the next couple will cover pre and post UK Nationals, being the biggest Malifaux tournament in the world the break seems to make sense.

However do not fret if you are waiting for Outcasts and Neverborn, I have stuff set up in the pipeline and should hopefully be keeping to the same quality of guests (I need them as I'm clueless).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, found the podcast at the forum, success!^^

So, I want to begin with a big thank you, I'm enjoying the podcast, listened to every episode, even though I found you just one, two months ago, so I had to listen to a bunch of episodes ;)

Now I hope you can help me as I have a question regarding episode 32, Ripples in journalism - someone (maybe Paul???) stated that he's trying to fit a Wastrel into every McCabe Crew, and I was just wondering why, aka how he plays them to get much use out of them.

I hope you know what and who I mean, do you know if he's on the forums so I could ask him personally? :)

Thank you in advance and please, keep up the great work, looking forward to the next episodes :)

3 hours ago, Tris said:

Ha, found the podcast at the forum, success!^^

So, I want to begin with a big thank you, I'm enjoying the podcast, listened to every episode, even though I found you just one, two months ago, so I had to listen to a bunch of episodes ;)

Now I hope you can help me as I have a question regarding episode 32, Ripples in journalism - someone (maybe Paul???) stated that he's trying to fit a Wastrel into every McCabe Crew, and I was just wondering why, aka how he plays them to get much use out of them.

I hope you know what and who I mean, do you know if he's on the forums so I could ask him personally? :)

Thank you in advance and please, keep up the great work, looking forward to the next episodes :)

Thanks for the lovely praise. I only really tend to use the UK tournament bit of the forum so always forget to use here to interact (need to set up a Facebook but I don't use it myself).

I honestly can't remember if it was Paul or Matt but I've prodded Paul so hopefully we (as I think it must be him) have guessed right and he can answer himself.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Psientologist said:

Thanks for the lovely praise. I only really tend to use the UK tournament bit of the forum so always forget to use here to interact (need to set up a Facebook but I don't use it myself).

I honestly can't remember if it was Paul or Matt but I've prodded Paul so hopefully we (as I think it must be him) have guessed right and he can answer himself.

I'm the Wastrel enthusiast.

My reasons for feeling that one at least in crew is as follows.

For 4 soulstones McCabe has better specific scheme runners, dogs (with luna) are cheaper/faster and watchers are general much faster with the new journalist being also better due to their defence tech.  those options when unopposed are all able to get scheme markers down where you want them efficiently.  Within McCabe crew however these cheap minions have another role, they become a sort of a punchy extension of McCabe due to the sabre, promises and black flash reactivate.   In this role the dogs are still good (charge 9") and the 1ap charge but watchers/journalist are lack lustre due to not having a charge. The wastrel synergies with the sabre to such an extent as to be well worth having as an addition or alternative to that second or third dog.  Its the discard a card for any suit then draw (if equipped with an upgrade) after action is complete.  With the sabre wastrels are min damage 3 rather than 2 which is a huge difference. Combined with the card draw their effectiveness is significantly greater than a dog once engaged. If you can get them into a valuable model with reactivate they are effectively flipping three cards for three attacks (without raising the risk of black jokering) with min damage 3.  If the valuable model survives (or another target is near by)  it also gives you a sudo-activaltion control because if you lose initiative the wastrel likely requiring dealing with before it can wreak face again.  Even with positive attack flips I've had dog wielding dogs bounce off tougher target with a couple of misses and only 2 x 2 damage hits.  A wastrel achieving just one extra hit doing 3 x 3 hurts a lot more.  On a four attack turn that amount of card draw also ups your chance of fishing out a joker which is also nice. 

As a stand alone model Wastrel  are not competitive but the extra threat it bring in a McCabe (guild) crew makes it well worth having.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

+34 & +35 The Pre and Post UK Nationals Shows

The former of these is out, as I have Tim and Josh back on to chat quickly about a couple of tournaments we attended, my time so far with Sandeep and then we look at Nationals and make our predictions (see how wrong we were).

The latter will be out next Thursday (24th) where Tim and Josh return. I make an important announcement and then we cover our weekend experiences of the largest Malifaux tournament to ever take place, that and we look back at our predictions (who was least wrong?).

Even though you didn't put ep. 35 up here in the forum yet, I got one question, and as you said we should ask each of you right away i figured I might as well do - who did play the ressers at the nationals, and what did his Seamus stake a claim list against Kaeris look like?

I get from listening that there was Seamus, some Necropunks and Belles (so no surprises) but would be interested if there was anything else to it?

Now, questions aside, very enjoyable episode, would like to attend next year with my mates, let's see if we can figure that out - you sure made me want to even more ^^

I've put a lot on my plate so apologies I didn't see this earlier. 

Definitely worth making the trip, if just to be a part of Malifaux history and meet so many cool people.
If Nationals doesn't work my other suggestions would be the Scottish or English GT in the summer, bother excellent events, two days and big (not three digits but big).

I have poked Josh so hopefully he can give his secrets away.

• Like 1

+35 is out

As I said previously, this is the Nationals round up show, bit of a longer one but I got it down to less than 3 hours.

The announcement I alluded to:

https://www.patreon.com/ArcaneReservoir

Way back on the Birthday show (+25) I said I was going to do it, I felt (and still feel) very awkward about asking for money and even putting out the suggestion of donating to help the show but after five months of bugging from some eager people and more cool ideas and plans running through my mind I bit the bullet and went with it.

I'm happy to say at time of typing this I've hit a couple of goals which will get backers some sweet tokens and I will be creating an Arcane Reservoir site in the near future.

So if you've enjoyed the show, please check it out. If you cannot (or do not want to) back me that is fine and I am still thankful for listeners and any interaction.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I need to start posting here more often, it's been a month since the last one.

+36 Is out and covers one of the final Masters qualifying tournaments. I'm joined by Tim and Luke Cocksedge as they speak about their time at "Under the Christmas Tree" as well as some UK Masters predictions.

+37 I'm joined by Tim and Josh, we chat about tOS for an hour (recorded 24hr after the KS started) and then we answer listener questions.

CHRISTMAS BONUS - SECOND ANNUAL UK MASTERS "LIVE" DRAW AND PREDICTIONS
It's exactly as it says, this year I have made sure to make it more inclusive. We talk about the system, how it works, how people qualify, the events, the players (what they play, how they got there) before doing the draw and making predictions. We= myself, MythicFOX, Clousseau and NoMoreMrNiceKai

I'm also happy to say that the Patreon is going well and this means some rewards are unlocked, so if you're interested please go check it out. Patreon.com/arcanereservoir 

• 2 weeks later...

+38 and +39
I'm joined by @mythicFOX to chat errata and then the next show GG2017 (along with @Oshova).

Both strong opinion based shows, the second of which admittedly I get a little too ranty (got to keep it interesting though).

Next show, (Thurs 19th release hopefully)  +40 @Oshova is back along with Jamie Clark (of Rankings and Bag'O'Tools fame) to chat about how 2016 was for us and the community and our plans for this year.

All shows can be found here: https://www.patreon.com/ArcaneReservoir/posts

• Like 2

On 12/01/2017 at 2:36 PM, Psientologist said:

+38 and +39
I'm joined by @mythicFOX to chat errata and then the next show GG2017 (along with @Oshova).

Both strong opinion based shows, the second of which admittedly I get a little too ranty (got to keep it interesting though).

Next show, (Thurs 19th release hopefully)  +40 @Oshova is back along with Jamie Clark (of Rankings and Bag'O'Tools fame) to chat about how 2016 was for us and the community and our plans for this year.

All shows can be found here: https://www.patreon.com/ArcaneReservoir/posts

#justiceforjamie was a success!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/01/2017 at 2:05 PM, 4thstringer said:

UI cant find you guys  on beyondpod and I can't find your rss feed to input you manually.  What is the rss feed for your show? 

Apologies for a 2 month late reply.
I've now set this thread to email me as I obviously don't check the forums enough.

http://arcanereservoir.podbean.com/feed/ Should work.

Update on the past couple of months.

+40 Year Two

I'm joined by Tim and Jamie (of malifaux-rankings.com and bag-o-tools.com ) where we discuss the past year of Malifaux and our aims for the future.

+41 Malifaux F'n Master

The winner of the UK Masters and one of it's TOs join me as we discuss the event, the crews,  the match ups and all that lovely stuff.

+42 & +43 Ripples of The Queen and Ripples in Scrip

We finally finish up the Ripples of Fate reviews with Neverborn then Outcasts.

+44 (OUT LATER TODAY)

We talk about "Infaux Overload" with Tim and the organiser of the event (and top player/lad) Conor. A nice classic tournament report episode.

As always for more updates (including top secret news) and to donate just a little money if you think the podcast is worth it check out the Patreon

https://www.patreon.com/ArcaneReservoir